inTank Media Baskets

Need advice before I buy 28g JBJ Nano Cube CF-Quad vs Intermediate LED

RCS84

While I would like to start with plain glass tank and customize it myself I live in a 1 bedroom apartment so space is limited. I have only found 1 tank other than an AIO with the proper dimensions for the area I have. I am looking at the JBJ Nano Cube tanks because Drs Foster and Smith have a good deal that comes with a free stand. I am having a hard time deciding between the CF-Quad model and the Intermediate LED. CF-Quad is 105W PC and LED is 27W(25 1Ws and 4 0.5w moonlights.) I plan on keeping soft corals and LPS only(Zoas, Rics, GSP, Hammer, Duncan, Chalice, Plate, Brain, Kenya tree are what I am planning on). No SPS. I figure the price difference between the 2 will be equal after the first bulb change on the CF-Quad. My question is which one of these lights will be more capable of supporting the corals I want to keep? I know the Marineland fixtures use 1W LEDs and they are garbage. Is it the same deal with the nano cube led? I know the advanced LED kit would be great but there is no way I can afford it. I am not willing to get the HQI version because I can't afford the cost of a chiller or the extra power to operate it(I live in hot So Cali so it would be a necessity). I am not willing to remove the hood to run a custom fixture. The only thing I may be willing to do is get the CF-Quad and do the Rapidled retrofit about a year from now but I'd rather not. Which kit would you buy and why? Please help this is a big purchase for me. Thanks!

Links to the tanks:

CF-Quad: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+18534+21183&pcatid=21183

LED: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23535

I have the 28g intermediate JBJ nano. Bought it used on CL no livestock, had it 11 months myself. It's the perfect size for my family room but stock fans were too loud so I replaced them. Also added a 12" no-name actinic strip light to add more blue and make the corals pop. First tank for me and I had no idea what it would grow. Had great growth (enough to frag) on duncans, mushrooms, palys, GSP & Xenia. Slow growth on my zoas, birdsnest, & trumpet. Healthy looking but not much growth on setosa, montipora, & leather. Only things that don't seem to be doing anything are my acans and a meteor shower frag, no bleaching but look the same as the day I bought them. Anemone has been happy, growing and split into 3. I do run 2 small Koralias on a 5 minute wavemaker.

Totally new to the hobby I wanted everything to grow fast! Going into a year, a tank this size it makes more sense to shoot for slow growth so you don't have to rescape every 3 months or anything more than trimming back Xenia & GSP. I like the energy use of the LEDs and not worrying about replacing bulbs. I would be more likely to go with a larger cube and topless if I wanted the tank to do "more" versus replacing the LEDs or going CF. Hope this helps.

Thank you for replying. It's nice to hear first hand experience. I'm glad that your corals are doing well! It definitely helps to know that you are having success with some of the corals I want to keep.

Rockinbajajim

I have 2 intermediate tops for the 24 gallon. I am pretty sure it is the same as the 28. If you want one I can give it to you for free and buy the CF. It would save you $$$.

I appreciate that but I think I'm gonna wait until petsmart has the 27g cube on sale again. That way I can drill it and just do everything right. I can use my 120w led I already have on it.

Archived