Quinton2396

Im looking to start a saltwater tank.

I have a 20g high tank

30 gallon regular over the back filter

t5 light with 2 bulbs

1-Coralife Colormax f18-t5

1-Coralife 6700k f18-t5

heater big enough for a 20 gallon tank

I want to do mainly just a fish tank but i would like to do some live rock and cheaper corals also.

I have a couple questions,

For easy corals like "Zoos" do i need different bulbs than the ones listed above?

what other cheap and easy, low light corals will work best?

How much live rock should an average 20 gallon tank have?

Anything else major that i need that i am missing?

Hey, welcome! I am brand new myself here but everyone is quite willing to help out. One thing I'm noticing is that the archive of threads is quite large and a directed search can typically produce answers to some of the more basic questions that I had. For example, if you search "beginner corals" there are a few very helpful threads that all say about the same things. Live rock is 1-1.5 lbs per gallon but you would want less rock for more fish so that ratio can be tweaked a bit. More porous rock can be put in at lower weights since the surface area is greater.

Good luck!

Partially Submerged

The sweet spot in terms of light wavelength for most corals is somewhere between 400 and 500 nm. Both your Colormax and your daylight bulb have some of that (being broad spectrum bulbs), but it's far from ideal. If you want to stick with T5, I'd say go ahead and get one daylight and one actinic bulb.

Archived