inTank Media Baskets

DBK's 40B AIO

dbk07

Hi everyone, I'd thought I would go ahead and share my piece of the ocean here. I started this thing back in the summer time and actually got the idea from another reefer. I kind of stole the AIO idea from him lol. The back 6 inches form the sump area of the tank. Water goes into the overflow on the right into a little diy media basket with carbon, floss and some deNitrate. then goes into the skimmer/heater area and finally back into the display via a hydor seltz. Display area itself is about 36x12x16 so about 30g. Excuse the noob scaping haha.
6/11/2015
q4VTPG3.jpg

January 2015
25UFmP8.jpg

Fish:
2 occelaris clownfish
Chromis
Yellow Watchman Goby

Inverts:
Cleaner Shrimp
whole bunch of snails

Equipment:
SCA 301 Protein Skimmer
2 Jebao rw-4
100w Hydor heater
GFO reactor
Evergrow D120

0WmJeU9.jpg

Spartans Revenge zoa
O8loDOB.jpg
Another Fav
puIwlBp.jpg
Say hello
T1mxVTg.jpg
forgot what this one was called
UaXd0Nl.jpg

Freebie Acans(really all those heads came free with an order I made)
16x9uDA.jpg

In a nutshell here is how it is. I actually had the acrylic made for me by Marc at Melevs Reef. Yea I know, time to dump the skimmer water haha.

So I noticed something the other day. Tested my water after water change got this,
Alk 8.6 kh
Ca 420 ppm
Mg 1350

One week later I test right before the water change and I'm at 7.7 Alk and 400 Ca . Is it time to start dosing?

• 2 weeks later...

I've started dosing B-Ionic 2 part once a week to help with stabilizing Alk. Seeing better result from the coral especially the acro's. Water change today so I've decided to show you guys is the rack I created to go into the first chamber. Acrylic with some egg-crate siliconed together. Does a lot better job of forcing water through than the all egg-crate rack I made when I first started.

Space it takes in the chamber

Overflow chamer

media rack

• 4 months later...

So it'a been awhile since I posted this but I've updated first post with current FTS. Nothing really different. I've since taken the gfo reactor off and only run it when i really need to. I've been dosing seachem reef fusion 1&2.
growth shot for comparison
about Jan
WJ0ZJgA.jpg

As of today

x7Mys9H.jpg

You did peninsular style right? Sometimes I wish I did that style rather than put the wall along the length of it, but I'm liking the progress.

You did peninsular style right? Sometimes I wish I did that style rather than put the wall along the length of it, but I'm liking the progress.

Yea lol and sometimes I wish I did it your way haha. Just one of those things I guess.

It's always a hassle for me to pull out my skimmer haha. At least once a month I have to take it out to pull some snails out of the pump intake. I swear they plan this lol.

They do plan these events hahaha. I decided on the peninsula style though cause I figured it would leave plenty of room for my hands to do things.... like mess with the skimmer. But sucks I lost 6" of swimming space for the fish.

Yeah I feel you on that one. I lost 6" of floor space and ended up impulse buying more coral than I have room for. My YWG was pissed I took it's lawn for frag space.

Yeah I feel you on that one. I lost 6" of floor space and ended up impulse buying more coral than I have room for. My YWG was pissed I took it's lawn for frag space.

I know haha at the time it seemed like a big upgrade from my nano cube 28 and it is but already I'm like crap I'm at 5 fish and some decent sized coral here and there and anemones and I gotta be selective about what else is going in there and where. I think I'm going with some more sps and zoas.

So....I messed up. I ended up bleaching some birdsnest frags. Pretty sure it was because I left them out of water while I was cleaning the rack. I was just so into it I didn't even realize what was happening haha.

r4Gt3ms.jpg

Damn shame....

Nice setup you have there. Nice frags :rolleyes:

hope they were able to recover soon, i miss my bird of paradise birdnest, i lost it when i use peroxide to treat some rocks of bryopsis.

what is the birdness with green base? that's nice

I think the birdsnest was sold to me as a paradise but I'm not even sure anymore.
Got a little bored the other day and went thought I'd try something. Since I've seen people try to grow frags in tubberware and rubber maid totes I though, why not a 5g bucket. So I took a par38 I had laying around and got some reef rubble, tossed it in a bucket with some eggcrate over it.

Kj6VTp7.jpg

NchKCrm.jpg

Just trying it out with some cheap zoa/palys I had. We'll see how this turned out

Look what I just got in today! Big thanks to MrReefer81 for making this thing

new rack3

new rack2

new rack

Its just got carbon, denitrate and purigen sitting in it right now but might add some chaeto into it.

new rack tank

What's all this to do?! That's awesome looking! Lol I just ordered the floss holder for the nuvo that intank makes. Thinking of switching to a brs mini reactor. But this is an impressive media rack solution for a custom aio.

What's all this to do?! That's awesome looking! Lol I just ordered the floss holder for the nuvo that intank makes. Thinking of switching to a brs mini reactor. But this is an impressive media rack solution for a custom aio.

It just holds a pad and some measly bag of carbon and seachem denitrate. I'm in the middle of being convinced to grow some chaeto in it as well haha

It just holds a pad and some measly bag of carbon and seachem denitrate. I'm in the middle of being convinced to grow some chaeto in it as well haha

Do it up no reason not to really.

It's been so hot here that I've had to unplug the heater and one of the rw-4 pumps. Just have one on random mode now. I've been thinking about getting new lighting for this thing. The evergrow d120 has worked very well and done a better job than I expected but I think it might be time to move on. Thoughts?

Archived