inTank Media Baskets

Slimer

BrianB

I added green and blue slimer to my tank. Nitrates are about 20 Phosphates I don't test. I just switched over to reef crystals. I am running 75watt LEDs over them. No other hard or stony coral.

Will they survive?

There is a lot of information missing from your post to say whether or not your tank is stable enough to keep SPS. But from the fact you don't test for PO4, and you didn't test your alkalinity, calcium, or magnesium levels, then no, the slimers will probably not survive. If your levels are good, then they will start sucking the calcium out of the water and you will have to play a catch up game. Before you know it, you will have a dip in alk and the SPS will bleach or STN and die. I highly recommend researching other successful and unsuccessful SPS tanks before jumping into SPS yourself. I've learned this lesson the hard way, and I hope you don't have to as well.

My tank is 180 gallons the slimer frags are about 2 inches. I do 40 gallon a week water change. Do I need to worry about cal,alk and mag? Other corals 20 mushrooms, 5 zoa frag with 6 polyps each and a Kenya tree.

Do I need to worry about cal,alk and mag?

just in general, yes

those two by themselves likely wont deplete levels at any appreciable rate, but SPS are tricky and you should be keeping track of all relevant levels.If you want to keep your blues and colors other than greens, test your phosphate level and lower your nitrates. dKH should be ~9 (suggestions vary between 7-11), Ca at 400-450, Mg at ~1350

I would say not likely. Realistically, NO3 should be well under 5ppm.

They're somewhat easy for SPS but still need low and stable PO4 and high and stable Alk. Stability is key with SPS. If you have swinging parameters, they're going to either bleach or RTN/STN.

There's a large fish store / online store that run their n03 at 30 with amazing results. There's no reason to play chasing numbers game. But yes alk,cal,mag should be checked. In a 180g system most likely should be fine for awhile endless you have all swings temp swings. Spa like stable conditions. You said 75w LEDs? Is that total watts? If so that isn't nearly enough. please post the name of your led fixture or if dig list LEDs.

High nitrates is fine as long as everything else is good.

Acropora need stable Alkalinity otherwise they may brown or die. In a 180 gallon tank Alk will drop slowly but it will drop, and while the slow drop might be tolerable any sudden rise during a water change may harm them.

If you are getting into SPS, especially acros, it's time to start reading up on how to keep them.

High nitrates is fine as long as everything else is good.

Acropora need stable Alkalinity otherwise they may brown or die. In a 180 gallon tank Alk will drop slowly but it will drop, and while the slow drop might be tolerable any sudden rise during a water change may harm them.

If you are getting into SPS, especially acros, it's time to start reading up on how to keep them.

+1

Even when reading up on how to keep them, it will still be trial and error until you gain experience on what works and doesn't for your tank. I've been going through this for about 6 months and finally getting SPS to grow nicely in the past few weeks. Make sure you test alk, calc, AND mag. If magnesium drops and you don't realize it, it will cause issues over the long term. When first trying to figure out a dosing schedule, get your alk, calc, and mag to your desired levels with general dosing per bottle instructions. Then once you are there, don't dose for 2 maybe 3 days and take measurements each day or the end of the 3 days to see how much has been used in those few days. Take that and divide by 3 and you have the amount of alk, calc, and mag you need to dose per day. Remember to keep testing about once a week in order to keep your dosing up as the stony corals get larger and use more calcium.

Thanks for the feedback. The lights are 72 watts. The brand is unknown. They sit right on my tank. I also have 2 t5s regular. The slimers sit 8 inches below the leds. The green slimmer had a white tip which I read is growth. It has been turning green. The polyps are sticking out all day. The purple has no polyp extension.

post-86985-0-87927600-1422023406_thumb.jpg

post-86985-0-28174600-1422023417_thumb.jpg

post-86985-0-34490600-1422023433_thumb.jpg

post-86985-0-98754000-1422023444_thumb.jpg

post-86985-0-59911200-1422023474_thumb.jpg

Archived