Top Shelf Aquatics

Acans

partyboizz01

Will a Acan outgrow a 16 gallon Nuvo tank?

Yes, but it would take many years....Acan, like most other coral, will be bought in relatively small frags and grow quite slow. All of the acans I have were bought as a frag about the size of a golf ball. One I bought as a 2 headed frag and it quickly grew about 6 more heads, but it is still roughly the size of a golf ball.

Mr. Microscope

Acans can grow fast, but that is relative as a stoney coral. As cchsoracle said, if you get any form of LPS as a frag, it will likely take many many years to outgrow your tank.

Your question brings up a valid concern though and it's good to be thinking along those lines before you stock your tank. Certain softies like leathers/toadstool or xenia could definitely overrun a 16 gallon.

BTW, here's my 25 gallon cube with A LOT of acans and I'm not at all worried about them outgrowing my tank. They all started as frags with one to three heads and it's taken about two years for them to get to these sizes for the larger colonies (the smaller one in the front are only a few months old).

FTS20141223_zps1d8805ef.jpg

reefernanoman

They grow relatively quickly when well fed.

March 1, 2014

16317065422_81cfdfe68b_z_d.jpg

November 15, 2014

16291989326_96c409786f_z_d.jpg

That's some quick growth. I only direct feed mine once a week reef chilli because if I increase my feeding schedule I get too much GHA. How often do you feed yours?

natalia_la_loca

That's some quick growth. I only direct feed mine once a week reef chilli because if I increase my feeding schedule I get too much GHA. How often do you feed yours?

Fish poop, KZ Amino Acid LPS, and KZ Pohl's Xtra. I feed my fish 2-3 times a day, so that may account for the growth.

Archived