Top Shelf Aquatics

Trying my luck at saltwater

tooflyblm

My buddy finally talked me into setting up a saltwater tank. After all my research, I’ve learned that the key to keeping a saltwater tank is patience. I’ve decided to work on my patience with an Innovative Marine Nuvo 8 tank. I started my adventure December 1, 2014 which I used the shrimp method to cycle my tank. I also added some livestock January 1, 2015.

What I got:

Innovative Marine Nuvo 8 aquarium

6lbs of dry rock

½ inch of a live sand bed

Tunze 3155 ATO

Upgrades:

Innovative Marine Spin Stream

Media Basket

Live Stock:

3 Sexy Shrimp

3 Scarlet Hermit Crabs

2 nassarius snails

1 Emerald crab

My goal is to add some fish by the end of January and maybe add a coral by mid or the end of Feburary. My son wants a clownfish. I don’t know what the second fish will be. Any advice you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.

post-86831-0-27957800-1421628888_thumb.jpg

post-86831-0-73731700-1421628995_thumb.jpg

post-86831-0-55382000-1421628983_thumb.jpg

post-86831-0-07616900-1421628989_thumb.jpg

Is there any not dry live rock, the point of live rock is the live part.

Don't listen to him. Starting with dry rock is just fine. Less chance of introducing any issues to your new tank. Only draw back is that it will take awhile for the proper bacteria to colonize. Just take it slow and you'll be fine. Good luck. It's a nice setup and off to a good start. Oh, and if you are adding a clown to this tank, I'd say no more fish.

I understand that he already has invertebrates successfully living in his tank, the point is there is a marked advantage on the side of biodiversity with live live rock. Just remember reef environments don't consist of only bacteria molluscs and crustaceans, they have algae, polycheates, and many other priceless additions to any reef environment.

Thank you for responding.

There is no live rock in my tank. I thought it would be a neat learning experience for me and my son to watch it as goes from a dry rock to a live rock. I've already decide that my next tank I will use live rock.

Fnard - will I be able to have 2 fish if I decide not to get clown or does your advice apply to all types of fish?

reefernanoman

Don't listen to him. Starting with dry rock is just fine. Less chance of introducing any issues to your new tank. Only draw back is that it will take awhile for the proper bacteria to colonize. Just take it slow and you'll be fine. Good luck. It's a nice setup and off to a good start. Oh, and if you are adding a clown to this tank, I'd say no more fish.

I completely agree with your statement! It is best to start without all them hitchhikers!

Thank you for responding.

There is no live rock in my tank. I thought it would be a neat learning experience for me and my son to watch it as goes from a dry rock to a live rock. I've already decide that my next tank I will use live rock.

Fnard - will I be able to have 2 fish if I decide not to get clown or does your advice apply to all types of fish?

You could do a couple of gobies in there. Only one clown for sure (as to not cause stress, throw off your bio levels).

Archived