Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First dive into saltwater- 20 gallon

anny3491

Hello everyone, first of all I want to say how amazing this community and this website are. I especially love browsing through the featured nano reef section and just can't wait to start my own (I know I know, going slow is the key, I will be patient for what has to come). So this is my shopping list so far, I think everything looks good (lots of research) but I am still a bit confused on which light I would need.

shopping list:

- API Reef Master Test Kit ( Do I only need this test kit or in addition to the API Saltwater Master Test Kit)?

- (2) EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 75W OR (1) EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 150W

- (2) Hydor Koralia Nano 425 Aquarium Circulation Pump 425 GPH

- Aquatic Life 115 Mini Internal Protein Skimmer/Filter, 30-Gallon (Is this necessary)

-Salinity Refractometer, Aquarium & Seawater- Dual Scale (1.0 to 1.070 S.G.) by Agriculture Solutions

- Instant Ocean Reef Crystal Sea Salt Marine Mix

- CaribSea Arag-Alive 20-Pound Special Grade Reef Sand, Fiji Pink

What I already have:

- 20 gallong L tank

- Aqueon Hinged Aquarium Glass Top

Planning to have:

- 10-20 lb of live rock

- Crab, Shrimp, Snail, Starfish

- 2 Clownfish

- Corals: Acropora, Euphyllia, Clavularia, Tubipora

If you could suggest exact light model and brand that would be great.

Partially Submerged

Just a quick tip, if you get the refractometer by "Ade Advanced Optics" on Amazon, you save about 50% for what looks like pretty much the same refractometer.

Also, are you sure you want to start with Acropora? That's not exactly a beginner-friendly genus of corals.

A few comments from a fellow noob since I've started something similar.

-The sand is great looking, just some flecks of pink but not too much

-I was going to get a 425 Koralia and landed on Jebao RW4 - very happy with the decision

-You need both test kits but API is not recommended against Red Sea

Will be watching - race to empty wallet. Ready, set, go!!...

Partially Submerged

Hi! Thanks for the tip, I will look into that refractometer.

I didn't know Acropora was not beginner-friendly, what do you think it is?

I would focus on soft corals and mushrooms first. Google "beginner corals." There are a bunch of useful lists that give you concrete ideas.

NorthGaHillbilly

Be careful with some beginner corals, many are TOO easy, and will end up being a pain in your ass as they take over your tank. Ask me how I know...

Partially Submerged

What are you talking about? I recently put xenia in my tank, and it's been behaving perfectly well. *crashing sound* Wait, what's that noise in the living room? OH, GOD! OH, GOD!!! IT'S EVERYWHERE!!! *screeching noises* *gun shots* *screams*

Stick with easy corals first. (Like zoas many pretty varieties and grows slow enough to not take over) What do you have planned for a light? And a protein skimmer isn't necessary if you stay on top of water changes.

Also i would get a CUC from reef-cleaners. They take the guesswork out of what you need. And i don't think any starfish are suitabl for a 20

Coolhandreefer

Get 2 Eheim heaters for redundancy in case 1 fails, 2 50w or 75w Eheim Jager heaters will work fine. I don't know much about the skimmer you chose but if you keep up with water changes and don't overstock you shouldn't need one.

Be careful with some beginner corals, many are TOO easy, and will end up being a pain in your ass as they take over your tank. Ask me how I know...

I probably would start with Euphyllia then...

Stick with easy corals first. (Like zoas many pretty varieties and grows slow enough to not take over) What do you have planned for a light? And a protein skimmer isn't necessary if you stay on top of water changes. Also i would get a CUC from reef-cleaners. They take the guesswork out of what you need. And i don't think any starfish are suitabl for a 20

Yeah that is where I'm confused, I'm not sure what light is appropriate with what I want in the tank, any help? Like I know they range from high to low, but doesn't it matter where I place them rather than what light I get?

It definitely matters what light you get. Some won't be strong enough no matter where you put them. I use LEDs (AI sols) but there other cheaper options like coralife compact fluorescent. You can look on craigslist too for AI SOLS since you should only need one. Or on your local reef club. If you haven't found them already, you should. They are a great way to get used equipment for cheap as well as help or a tank sitter.

It definitely matters what light you get. Some won't be strong enough no matter where you put them. I use LEDs (AI sols) but there other cheaper options like coralife compact fluorescent. You can look on craigslist too for AI SOLS since you should only need one. Or on your local reef club. If you haven't found them already, you should. They are a great way to get used equipment for cheap as well as help or a tank sitter.

Hi Ikoechle, I just checked out new tank, it looks awesome! Love your baby too.

I'm thinking about this lighting system,

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+27873&pcatid=27873&r=951

Do you think it would work? Also would the 24-36" fit my tank? The dimension of my tank is 12.5"L x 30.25"W x 13"H .

Archived