inTank Media Baskets

DurocShark's Bubble Algae Farm (RETIRED)

DurocShark

Yeah, I'm planning on a sponge for the bubbles. :)

I forgot that I could just pop the lenses off. These fixtures both have an acrylic pane so that should be no biggie.

Hmm...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep whip out those secondary optics and you shouldn't have any issues.

Another light spill option is add some glare guards front and back (black acrylic or some sheet wood), have them 2 or 3 inches passed the bottom of the fixture and then you could still stand the light on the support you have over your tank on the new extended sides.

I got a response from the LED seller.

"This item is not customer Design.Only one angle is best for tank,coral and fish.If you want to buy wider angle.You need to contact the factory and make Customer Design Product.
You can check the web site and contact them. www.lshengyi.com"

I'm so glad they know what's best for all "tank, coral and fish".

Once I'm sure I won't need a warranty replacement, I'll crack it open.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Added the sponge, no change. The sponge I had is either too open or there's another source. I'm going to try plumbing the output to the fuge and see if that makes a difference.

I replaced my Koralia 850 with a second Jebao RW-8. I have them linked and on sine wave mode. That's much nicer. :)

All my numbers are low right now. And I just did a water change. I doubt anything's consuming the mag/alk/calc at that rate. The Kent water has got to be the problem. Running Seachem it was great. When I switched the numbers start out low and go down quickly. (Most of the minerals are in my mixing can as precipitate.) I reached out to Kent and was told to mix at lower salinity. 1.024 or 1.025 instead of my usual 1.026. Forget that. I've just ordered more Seachem and I'll stick with what I know. Teach me to try something new. Bah.

Standpipe fun.

Read this thread here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/365066-durso-standpipe-problem/

TL;DR

My poor design decision created a full siphon instead of a durso standpipe. After a power outage, an air bubble was trapped, preventing flow. This caused my return pump to overflow the tank. The problem was resolved by using a tee instead of just an elbow, but now flow is greatly reduced since full siphons flow much more than dursos.

I got an order from Reefs2go. My chalice skin was peeling away from the skeleton with algae growing on the skeleton. :(

I got a pocillopora and some gorgs. My butterfly immediately went into nom nom mode. :( Tomorrow I'll move them to the 5 gallon in my bedroom in anticipation of putting them in the 17.

:(

I wonder if that bastard klein's butterfly is why my hammer and cup coral still don't have any polyp extension, even though they're otherwise healthy.

After dismantling the tank almost completely (grrrrr), I got that Klein's butterfly out. My LFS was happy to take him back (he was gorgeous and healthy.) I picked up a christmas wrasse instead. :)

Here are updated pictures after chasing that damn butterfly down and estroying my scape. I'm not sure I like it like this, but it's got way more caves, so ... maybe?

Pfbn1uP.jpg

rm9tRaN.jpg

4xGBnGn.jpg

HW9JzGf.jpg

Mah Fuge:

uyxmsTf.jpg

Strange how the red berries are outgrowing the caulerpa. Lots and lots of sponges and feather dusters and pods in there.

5 months of zoa growth. :)

I bought this frag 5 months ago from Saltcritters.

SC's own WYSIWYG pic:

jWMhujj.jpg

My pic shortly after getting it:

62b14Lk.jpg

And here it is as of 9/20:

X1njeOE.jpg

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to buy some phyto at the LFS and fell in love with this guy:

A beautiful yellow line wrasse. He's a little stressed after being added to a new tank. The Christmas Wrasse is all, "what's your problem, dude?"

• 3 weeks later...

Took a quick crappy FTS.

hbJZZi9.jpg

There's a TON of bubble algae. I dumped 5 emerald crabs in there, hopefully they can do something with it. I watched one of the small ones trying to pop a bubble and having no success at all. His claws just slid off it. :( But there's a couple bigger ones too. I know they'll go after my macros too, but I have a bunch saved in the fuge.

This is with a 30" Mars Aqua LED light. It's got better color rendition than the previous Globalstar, but still not as good as the Current Orbit Marine strip. We'll see. The duncan is PISSED about the new light, but everything else looks happy.

Fix one problem, create new ones.

I got a bunch of emerald crabs and a short spined urchin to attack that bubble algae. And they've been spending all their time knocking my corals off the rocks.

Sigh.

While my wooden braces (http://i.imgur.com/CkIaiba.jpg) have been holding, they're still making me nervous. And I'm tired of the scratches in the glass from the previous owner.

I talked to Advanced Acrylics in SoCal (http://advancedacrylics.com/) and am having an acrylic replacement made. Because of how tall and narrow it is, the replacement will be around $1200.

I think it's worth it. Gettin' it done. :)

Are you super sold on a tall tank? I'm curious how much PAR penetration you're getting at the rock. Have you measured at all? Just seems like 1200 is a lot to spend on something that's going to to limit your coral options.

Acrylic scratches pretty easily and with the pillar type effect I would be worried about anything moving. How many times have you been doing maintenance and knocked something over? Also, if you're using a magnetic cleaner or even a hand held you have to be really careful not to get sand caught or you're gonna get scratches.

I've had acrylic for 10 years and honestly, it is my preference but for the dims of your tank it would just seem like a nightmare to me.

Archived