Cultivated Reef

Wiring for DIY LED with Typhon controller?

streamline.by.design

streamline.by.design

Need a bit of help. Perhaps it is because it is 2 am or maybe because I am just dense.

I am working on an LED build and am having a hard time hooking the LD-700HW drivers, power supply, Typhon controller and LEDs up. I have no issues hooking them all up minus the controller, but get lost as to what wire goes where when bringing the Typhon into the mix.

Can someone point to a video or build thread that walks through it. I'm a visual learner and can't seem to find anything.

Really appreciate any help!

Power supply - http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/180w-48v-3-75a-dc-power-supply/

Drivers - http://www.meanwell.com/search/LDD-H/LDD-H-spec.pdf

Controller - http://www.boostled.com/product_p/typhon.htm

streamline.by.design

So the (-)PWM is the ground and the (+)PWM is the PWM? I'm partially ignorant I know but the Typhon directions suck for a newb.

I haven't wirked with the Ldd drivers myself, but checked a diagram and only see one dimming wire. If this is the case, then Typhon pwm+ Goes to the dimming wire and the PWM- needs to be tied to the power supply ground(-). Many power supplies have an external grounding lug that can be used

bd49aa95-fce1-4e12-9bd2-c6f475c94260_zps

Right so as already correctly stated. For the controller to work properly the power supplies ground needs to be connected to the controller ground. This can be done at the power supply terminal, or as this diagram shows, from the driver board power in terminals.

If your not using a pre made driver board as shown. Either or both V in and V out pins on the driver can be connected to the power supply and load, so don't worry about there being 2 of each. The dim pin is your PWM input. This is connected to the controllers PWM output. Then you would need a jumper wire off each drivers V- (ground pin) connecting each driver to the controller ground. On a pre made board above all the drivers are connected in parallel so you only need one connection to the ground on the power in side. If you don't ground the drivers supply to the controller you won't get full output and the LED's will flash (took me ages to work out what I'd done wrong in my setup lol).

Also you may want to consider connecting a 10k resistor between the dim pin and ground each driver. This means the drivers just turn off and don't go to full output if the controller is dissconnected for any reason while there is still power to the drivers. This also happens if you dim to zero, the driver no longer gets a PWM signal and will default to full power when you are trying to get it to turn off.

streamline.by.design

That is exactly what I needed, thank you. I am not using the pre made board but should be able to figure this all out now.

Thank You!

Archived