inTank Media Baskets

Just witnessed a broadcast spawning/birth of some sort..

HOTWATER

Hi fellow reefers, I just literally minutes ago looked at my tank and saw almost a cloud level of little white specs floating around in my jbj 30 gal. I quickly went to the tank to inspect since I run floss and a few chemical filtration products only. Upon further inspection these small white things had a definite tail that propelled them my fish were happily eating them with vigor so I knew it wasn't purigen bursted out of its bag. I know everyone likes pictures here but I have an iPhone that I know won't capture what I saw. Any suggestions?

Definitely not a normal pod activity I've ever seen either. I know what pods look like.

Do you have more than one of the same kind of hermit or shrimp present? Or recently added one that was kept in a holding tank with a bunch of others at the store?

Congrats! Most of whatever it is will likely get eaten/sucked into filter/simply dissappear... but still cool.

What inverts do you have in your tank? I've had peppermint shrimp spawn regularly and it's similar to what you're describing. It's always fun to watch!

I have a handful of red leg and blue leg hermits, 2 scarlet hermits, 3 emerald crabs, and an assortment of cerith and nerites.

I don't have any shrimp in the tank. It was cool to watch none the less. My fish sure loved em whatever they were.

I had a cleaner shrimp spawn once and I've seen a couple of black foot snails spawn too. Like a white mist, it was dark so I couldn't make out if they had tails etc. Skimmer and other tank mates had a field day though.

NorthGaHillbilly

I have a hermit that was spawning on the regular. Very similar to what you described. Fish and coral had a field day. Haven't seen it happen lately tho :(

Archived