Coral Vue Hydros

Visit to Blue Harbor in Osaka, Japan

caietaro

I am in Osaka, Japan this week for business and had heard of the famous Blue Harbor Aquarium Factory (www.blueharbor.co.jp) which is known for importing some very rare and amazing fish into Japan. I had some free time today so I decided to stop into the shop. The shop was incredible with a huge selection of absolutely gorgeous coral colonies (not tiny frags but 6-12" colonies!) and some super rare fish that most people will never have the chance to see in person. Unfortunately for me and for this thread, they had just gotten in a shipment from Australia and were also preparing a shipment to send to another store, so the very small shop was completely packed with boxes and bags and the staff was very busy running around trying to take care of everything, thus I wasn't really able to take many pictures :( . I didn't want to be a rude American and get in their way!

When they found out that I came in just to admire the beautiful fish and corals, they were extremely hospitable and let me check out their "Staff Only" section which has some amazingly rare fish that aren't for sale to the public. They had a pair of juvenile masked angelfish (Genicanthus personatus) imported from Hawaii, 3 or 4 very small gem tangs (Zebrasoma gemmatum), a few small and one large adult wrought iron butterflyfish (Chaetodon daedalma), several black bandit angelfish (apolemichthys arcuatus) and several types of rare deepwater anthias/pseudoanthias.

They also had a medium-sized angelfish that I wasn't familiar with - its the blue and yellow one in the picture - any ideas on what this is?

Next time I stop in I promise I'll take more pictures! :D

post-52503-0-81699800-1421397418_thumb.jpg

post-52503-0-29278400-1421397493_thumb.jpg

This thread sucks without cool pics of the crap you saw.

I know, I know - it's true! Unfortunately the only day I could make it there this trip was the worst possible day. I was literally stepping over boxes of corals that were being packed and unpacked and trying to stay out of the staff's way so couldn't really even get close to many of the tanks. Next time I'm there I'll cross my fingers that it's a calmer day and will take more pics.

Its too bad we can't simply bring our specimens across borders. Then your view only could have been a buy it all.

I wish we could! Prices were about what I would have expected, e.g., a candy basslet was about $800 or so if I remember correctly.

Archived