ReefCleaners.org

Help me pick my last fish

DocReef

Hi guys, I was hoping you can help me pick my next fish. I have a IM Fusion Nuvo 20. Current livestock, pair of Helfrichi firefish, a Randall's Assessor and a Randall's Goby. The problem I have is that these fish hide most of the day. I am looking for a small nano fish that will swim around the tank most of the time and is peaceful. Fish I'm considering...

Pygmy possum wrasse

Pink streaked fairy wrasse

White spotted pygmy filefish

Clownfish

Chalk Bass

Yellow Assessor

Tail spot blenny

Any advice would be appreciated.

IMO too small for a fairy wrasse.

I vote clownfish or chromis? Those are pretty active and relatively peaceful too.

I always thought chalk bass were cool too...

Yellow assessor, pygmy possum wrasse and chalk bass are described as needing a lot of hiding places - not what you want.

Pink streaked fairy wrasse is initially shy, but gets bolder and should stay out in the open most of the time once acclimated.

Tailspot blenny is peaceful and should be out grazing on the rocks.

Clownfish and white spotted pygmy filefish should be out pretty much all the time. The filefish is supposed to have a great personality.

You should check out ora dottybacks. I just got one and it's very active and they come in a very wide variety of colors. Also not a large fish so will not add much bioload.

I have a soft spot for the black cap basslet. Nice color and similar to the royal grammar I think. These new snow flake or black ice clownfish are very nice IMHO. ( I own a black ice clown) black fin ray goby and Randalls pistol shrimp are very entertaining as well.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. I found a neat looking Black Ice ocellaris at a good price that I couldn't pass up. My kid has been wanting a "nemo" for quite some time, I figured I'd cave in to the pressure.

Ive had basslets get really agressive in a small space. AI would stay away from them. actually a six line can get pretty nasty as well. I would go with a pair of clowns, maybe some of the cool new snowflake ones

I had a yellow banded possum wrasse that almost never hid and was out and about all day, in and out of the rock work, with a fire fish and clown. Very inquisitive. Never bothered anything and was never shy. Would swim into my hand when it was in the tank. Easily the coolest fish I ever had. I always hear people say they are shy though, so not sure if mine was just abnormal or people just claim they are shy based on something they read and not actual experience. Maybe the tank mates have a lot to do with it. Just my experience.

Archived