ReefCleaners.org

Pair of Anthias

Bingo1213

I was wondering if it is possible to keep a pair of lyertail anthers. As much as I would like a larger group, they are rather pricy! If I just had a male and female would the male harass the female to death? Or would they be "civil" with each other. Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

I actually bought 2 bartletts anthias to begin with and added a 3rd; the first two get along great and the 3rd is kind of a loner. I think as long as you introduce them together they should be fine. Lyretails get bigger than most other anthias and need more space

I have 2 lyre tail anthias. Originally I bought 3 females. 2 got along and the 3rd was odd man (I mean lady) out. Eventually the most dominant harassed the loner to death. It appeared also that the dominant female may have been changing into a male but that never fully occurred. Now 3 years later she/he still looks somewhere in between. However, even when I downsized from a 90g to a 36g bowfront these 2 anthias get along just fine. I wished you lived closer. I'd like to reduce my fish bioload and rehome the anthias and I'd give them to you cheap. Unfortunately Colorado is a long way from Pennsylvania.

I have 2 lyre tail anthias. Originally I bought 3 females. 2 got along and the 3rd was odd man (I mean lady) out. Eventually the most dominant harassed the loner to death. It appeared also that the dominant female may have been changing into a male but that never fully occurred. Now 3 years later she/he still looks somewhere in between. However, even when I downsized from a 90g to a 36g bowfront these 2 anthias get along just fine. I wished you lived closer. I'd like to reduce my fish bioload and rehome the anthias and I'd give them to you cheap. Unfortunately Colorado is a long way from Pennsylvania.

Haha yes it is probably a little far to make that work! But good to hear!

I actually bought 2 bartletts anthias to begin with and added a 3rd; the first two get along great and the 3rd is kind of a loner. I think as long as you introduce them together they should be fine. Lyretails get bigger than most other anthias and need more space

I would try bartletts as I really like their colors but I am worried I will accidentally get 2 males since they really can't be sexed. Does it just come down to luck of the draw?

I would try bartletts as I really like their colors but I am worried I will accidentally get 2 males since they really can't be sexed. Does it just come down to luck of the draw?

if youre ordering online, yeah. If you have an LFS with a bunch of them its easier.

There are a few key differences, but nothing is guaranteed, and the fact that they can switch to males means even if you pick up one male and several females, they may all end up as male

Alpha males tend to be predominately pink, have a sharp upper lip, and have elongated caudal fin and 1st dorsal spine. Female/Male transition fish or beta males tend to be more yellow without the elongated fins, and females tend to be almost entirely yellow with a pink belly and maybe a little pink on the dorsal fins. Again, all this means jack, because the females can transition later down the line

So say I get lucky and end up with one female and one male, does that mean I am set? Are they like clowns where after a certain age they can no longer change? And one final question, what about dispar anthias? Out of those three which are the most likely to do well in a pair? Sorry I am new to anthias!

So say I get lucky and end up with one female and one male, does that mean I am set? Are they like clowns where after a certain age they can no longer change? And one final question, what about dispar anthias? Out of those three which are the most likely to do well in a pair? Sorry I am new to anthias!

not that I know of, but a paired duo is more likely to stay the same than adding a bunch at random times. Most anthias are similar in care, dispar are a bit easier than others but not much different than lyretails or bartletts. Really your best bet is to find a variety you like find an LFS w/ a large number of them, alternatively liveaquaria sells a duo or triplet every once in a while

not that I know of, but a paired duo is more likely to stay the same than adding a bunch at random times. Most anthias are similar in care, dispar are a bit easier than others but not much different than lyretails or bartletts. Really your best bet is to find a variety you like find an LFS w/ a large number of them, alternatively liveaquaria sells a duo or triplet every once in a while

Thanks for the information!

Archived