Cultivated Reef

Buy a coral because you like it, not because of a name....

SaltCritters

Buy a coral because you like it, not because of a name....

Some of you may remember our "Collectors Corner". Some of you may have noticed that it is gone. Some of you may know the truth about "Collectors Corner" But most of you probably don't.

Truth is "Collectors Corner" was a test/experiment to see how much more people would pay for a name. The results were pretty disappointing and tell a lot about this hobby and the people in it.

Most of the items in "Collectors Corner" were also in the normal categories. The only difference, the "Collectors Corner" items had a fancy name and a higher price.

The sad part is the items in "Collectors Corner" would almost always sell before the same items, with no fancy name and a cheaper price, sold in the normal categories. Just about every time we added an item to both spots the results were the same. Same coral, same color, from the same colony, just no fancy name and a lower price.

The results, people will pay more for a name and are causing the ridiculous name game (and crazy price game) to continue, Sad.

Yes we could make more money by adding made up names to our corals like other vendors. But that's not what we're about. We strive to offer Real Corals at Real Prices and that's what we will continue to do. All of our corals have the same amount of markup no matter what they look like. If they cost us less they cost you less, if they cost us more they cost you more. Plain and simple.

So don't be one of those reefers that pays for a Fancy name, Buy a coral because you like it!

You as a consumer are causing the crazy names and prices. You as a consumer can put a stop to it as well.

Yes some corals are rare but very rarely are they actually rare.

www.SaltCritters.com

color-facebook-48.png Share color-twitter-48.png Tweet color-forwardtofriend-48.png Forward

color-facebook-96.png Facebook color-twitter-96.png Twitter

Thanks for the honesty. I've had good results buying from you guys in the past and you always have low prices. I just wish you carried inverts and fish!

Thanks for the honesty. I've had good results buying from you guys in the past and you always have low prices. I just wish you carried inverts and fish!

No problem. One of these days we will have fish and inverts. Just don't have the room at the moment.

this is why i recommend Mr. Salty to everyone =)

Thanks

I find it interesting that people are willing to shell out a lot of money for a so called rare acro which isn't really rare or considered endangered on the IUCN list. The opposite of this is the Montipora setosa. Considered actually rare due to a seemingly limited distribution and is endangered per IUCN list, but is fairly cheap and in some cases given out as freebies for buying the "LE" acros.

Archived