ReefCleaners.org

Nitrate Remover Pad, Thoughts?

Najay343

So today I purchased a digital pH tester on amazon, nothing fancy, But recommended was "Deep Blue Professional ADB41005 Nitrate Remover Pad, 18 by 10-Inch" and after reading the reviews I decided to go ahead and try it out given that I am cycling my tank and my Nitrates will never be higher than they are going to be. I am cycling my tank with a raw piece of shrimp I got from the grocer, its still full size, really nasty now and going on day 7, The ammonia got up to about 4ppm when I added the Bio-Spira and since it has been 0ppm and the Nitrite is also almost at 0ppm. I intend on letting the tank continue running for 1-2 more weeks before I add anything but I was thinking if this pad works I could minimize the initial water change since the tank is so new and I feel its solely running on the bio-spira in the water right now. Anyone tried this product? Any chance my plan could have a negative effect?

I use Deep Blue's Nitrate, Phosphate, Carbon and Ammonia Pads in my system. I have no issues with it at all and feel it does a decent job in helping to reduce my numbers. I rely on my water changes to keep parameters in check but feel comfortable being able to rely on the pads to help in extending my time between water changes but I wouldn't say it is the ultimate solution.. more of a maintenance stand point.

Worse case, it acts as additional filtering of the water which is never bad.. I'm not sure If i change my pads out too often but I tend to change them out on a weekly/bi-weekly basis depending on how the pads are looking during my 20% water changes.

Archived