inTank Media Baskets

My New Aqueon Evolve 4

RCS84

My first post here but I browse the forums a lot. I went into my LFS to get a rock to help seed my dry rock in my 16g bowfront. I found these two pieces that I liked. Looked around the store a little bit and saw that they had the Aqueon Evolve 4 on sale. I have always wanted one of these little tanks and i thought the 2 rocks I picked out for my bigger tank would look pretty rad in this little pico. So I pulled the trigger and picked it up. Luckily this one is small so the wife isn't as annoyed. She doesn't really appreciate my multi tank syndrome.

Anyway the plan for this one is gonna be mostly mushrooms and maybe some GSP since I don't really want to keep either in my main tank. Still haven't decided what type of livestock I want to put in it. Definitely no fish. Anyone have a suggestion on a cool invert for it? I like Sexy shrimp but none of the stores I have been to in my area have them. I plan on ungrading to a par30 and maybe an ATO. Im rinsing the aragonite I have today and will post some pics when I put it in.

Pico1_zpsbcd0d761.jpg

pico2_zps255b3453.jpg

pico3_zpsdf4728f3.jpg

pico4_zps6e1b1700.jpg

pico5_zps2779e04c.jpg

pico6_zps3d0c9153.jpgpico7_zps5f948d83.jpg

Looks good!

My wife also doesn't like the multitank syndrome! what started with a 25g tank has become 25g and two aqueon 8g cubes.

For livestock, maybe some shrimp, or a goby. You say no fish now, but how many of us could actually have a tank with no fish???

I am gonna stay away from fish because anything suitable in this size doesn't really interest me. Plus the added nutrients from feeding is more of a hassle than it is worth to me. Here are some pics with sand. http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/IronCoffin73/media/pico8_zps3fd6d86d.jpg.html'>pico8_zps3fd6d86d.jpg

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/IronCoffin73/media/pico9_zps620d6120.jpg.html'>pico9_zps620d6120.jpg

And a shot of my 16 still cycling(started with dry rock)

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/IronCoffin73/media/16g2_zps31833da2.jpg.html'>16g2_zps31833da2.jpg

Pictures aren't great, I only have a camera phone.

I am gonna stay away from fish because anything suitable in this size doesn't really interest me. Plus the added nutrients from feeding is more of a hassle than it is worth to me. Here are some pics with sand. pico8_zps3fd6d86d.jpg

pico9_zps620d6120.jpg

And a shot of my 16 still cycling(started with dry rock)

16g2_zps31833da2.jpg

Pictures aren't great, I only have a camera phone.

Acrab likes the crab guarding the tank......

Thanks. I used very little sand, probably about 1 cup.

I am looking at par30 bulbs right now. Is a par30 light enough to use in a desktop lamp? I don't think this tank can handle the weight of something like the boostled clamp and light.

Looks like a great start! It brings back memories of where I was almost a year ago :)

I used the Coral Compulsion PAR 30 bulb for quite a while on mine, and it worked fine. The only problem with it is you can't dim it, so you will need an adjustable desktop lamp to control the height above the tank. And it's really bright, so it needs to be about a foot above the water line.

I have a CAD Lights 4g now, but I had the Aqueon Evolve 4 when it started. The only real reason I changed was because the acrylic got too scratched up. Be careful when you scrape algae :)

There's a lot of information about what I did with my Evolve in my 4g build thread if you're interested.

Thanks teeny I will check out your build.

My cycle is coming along. I ended up ordering the beamswork 18w clamp on led for now. If I don't really like it I have a freshwater setup I will use it on. I will post some pics when I get it.

My light came a few days ago. I am happy enough with it. It isn't the best choice in the world but I had to be realistic with myself about what I was actually gonna keep in here. Didn't really need to spend all the money on an sps capable light when I'm only doing softies. The spectrum could be better obviously but all in all it's way better than the stock light. The photos make it look more stripey than it actually is. Added a few Zoa frags a couple days ago. They have all adjusted well. Also got a green encrusting gorgonian yesterday that is starting to open up. My next purchase will probably be a kenya tree. The rock on the right is gonna be a Z&P garden. I am stumped on what to put on the left side. Any suggestions guys?

pico10_zps2np4zkgi.jpg

pico11_zpsqtc1bjzs.jpg

pico12_zpshslrme2x.jpg

pico13_zpswpzcte8t.jpg

pico15_zpstivwypex.jpg

Added a pretty sweet paly today. Damn I guess I should have pretended I was some 16 y/o chick. I woulda got like 10 pages of replies by now...

pedobear_zpse7g8ytvj.jpg

Yep, change your avatar to something soft and cuddly :)

And post pics of the paly :D

As far as refractometers go, I bought a cheap generic one from Amazon. Just make sure it's calibrated for saltwater and has automatic temperature adjustment.

Archived