Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Acan looking very unhealthy- any ideas?

Texag12

Hi everyone,

I have an acan that has really gone downhill fast and I'm not sure what to do. I've only had it roughly a week and everything else in my tank is doing fine. I dipped it in coral rx pro and all was fine at first.

Here is last week:

1-4-2015acanflair_zps580a165e.jpeg

Here is a few days ago:

IMG_2225_zps6afab9bb.jpg

Maybe try spot feeding it if you haven't already.

yeah tried with mysis shrimp and the heads never put the feeders out. I tried this in the evening, but when I wake up in the mornings I see them with their white feeder out, maybe I should try feeding at that time instead?

worth a shot. A small pipette with some chopped mysis mixed with some tank water works well. I've had some acan's not look so hot and after a few feedings they looked plump and happy.

worth a shot. A small pipette with some chopped mysis mixed with some tank water works well. I've had some acan's not look so hot and after a few feedings they looked plump and happy.

cool will try it out. Any idea what the pink/white tissue is growing inbetween and over the heads in the 2nd pic above?

How is your alk? If there's pink might be bacterial. I lost quite a few acans a few years ago because of bacteria.

thanks for the suggestion, alk on an API test kit is 125.3 ppm KH (7 dkh)

What lighting are they under?

This is a fluval spec v and they are under a current 18-24 LED running on default timer 1 settings with a minijet606 pump and temp usually 78-80

i do have a peppermint shrimp in the tank with it... someone suggested it might be picking at it. Is that what the damage looks like to you more experienced folks?

i do have a peppermint shrimp in the tank with it... someone suggested it might be picking at it. Is that what the damage looks like to you more experienced folks?

If your params are all in check, I doubt your lighting is too strong.....peps could definitely do damage. I had one years ago that destroyed some stuff. Watch at night when lights are out and see what happens. Acans are usually pretty bomb-proof.

If your params are all in check, I doubt your lighting is too strong.....peps could definitely do damage.

+10000.

My pep shrimp is an evil little shit also, was trying to eat every coral it could find at one point, made some corals completely retract and look terrible.. Started feeding it separately with a pipette full of squid and Mysis daily, now it just hangs out in a cave literally 24/7 and only moves to moult. If you can't catch it, just make sure it isn't hungry. Ever.

If your params are all in check, I doubt your lighting is too strong.....peps could definitely do damage. I had one years ago that destroyed some stuff. Watch at night when lights are out and see what happens. Acans are usually pretty bomb-proof.

Yeah I just did a quick test and calcium looks a little high around 480. PH tested 8.2. I will watch for the peppermint shrimp because I'm not really sure what else it could be and my GSP/Zoas/Astreas/Nassarius are fine.

+10000.

My pep shrimp is evil also, was trying to eat every coral it could find at one point.. Started feeding it separately with a pipette full of squid and Mysis daily, now it just hangs out in a cave literally 24/7 and only moves to moult. If you can't catch it, just make sure it isn't hungry. Ever.

I know for a fact my is 100% always hungry because the dude attacks mysis floating around like no other. I almost am wondering if I should get rid of him. What should I do if LFS won't take him (they don't do returns/refunds)?

Yeah I just did a quick test and calcium looks a little high around 480. PH tested 8.2. I will watch for the peppermint shrimp because I'm not really sure what else it could be and my GSP/Zoas/Astreas/Nassarius are fine.

I know for a fact my is 100% always hungry because the dude attacks mysis floating around like no other. I almost am wondering if I should get rid of him. What should I do if LFS won't take him (they don't do returns/refunds)?

Throw it on the ground and stomp on him?

Just kidding, LFS should take it back....probably no refund, but they should take it back.

Give your LFS a go first and explain what's happening, hopefully it won't be a problem. If not, I'm sure if you post an ad in livestock section someone will take it off your hands! Are you able to target feed it by any chance? Mine is completely used to the pipette by now and climbs onto it to get the food out, and doesn't bother anything in the tank anymore. Could just try making sure it's full and has no reason to bother any corals?

Give your LFS a go first and explain what's happening, hopefully it won't be a problem. If not, I'm sure if you post an ad in livestock section someone will take it off your hands! Are you able to target feed it by any chance? Mine is completely used to the pipette by now and climbs onto it to get the food out, and doesn't bother anything in the tank anymore. Could just try making sure it's full and has no reason to bother any corals?

are you feeding yours daily? If so, how big of a chunk of mysis cube?

I feed it 6 days a week. Hard to say regarding amount, I cut the tip off a pipette to allow large chunks to go on it, and filled it to the 1ml line with a small amount of Mysis and squid. It will just keep pulling food out until it's full, but it eats a surprisingly large amount of food.. Usually give whatever is left to my plate coral.

Guys I am absolutely in shock, I am 100% convinced it was the peppermint shrimp. I was target feeding him since the above advice and returned him yesterday... look at this rebound in 3 days. No more peppermint shrimp for me. I really would like a crab or shrimp though, but they all seem violent towards coral.

Looks like I did permanently lose the back right head, but the others have rebounded nicely!

IMG_2266_zps0aa3b82f.jpg

Partially Submerged

You have other acans in there. Doesn't seem plausible your peppermint shrimp was attacking the new acan but never the old ones. Love the one on the left btw.

You have other acans in there. Doesn't seem plausible your peppermint shrimp was attacking the new acan but never the old ones. Love the one on the left btw.

It was opposite, that was the old one. The new ones were introduced 1 or 2 days before getting rid of the peppermint and he did mess with the ones that were close to his den. Thanks it looks great in blue lighting :)

Archived