inTank Media Baskets

My war against dino

Jesader

hope it worked- time to get out the dslr :)

hyposalinity=20% but what else could we do, its not like we can take a butter knife and scrape off the layer.

I cant think of any better way to prep a fish. aware that hyposalinity has been ascribed a greater than 20% chance of winning, agreed its good candidate. awaiting threads tho, until we get ten pages everything's 20 pct heh

if anyone is having trouble finding a big dinos thread to run their treatment du jour I vote the reef2reef dinos thread or that very one from rc. rc one has ran four yrs has nothing consistent, they are beckoning such an easy fix.

Someone should set up those all plastic no lr no sand frag rack tanks and sell/source frags from them, its the highest control over surface area we could have in a source tank. you could direct dip plug bases to hopefully sterilize, making the coral surface the only living tissue in the tank as a dino control.

qt these frag tanks a long time to prove sterility. clean the inside tank surfaces regularly and use direct adsorbtion of ammonia in media canisters so no nitrification is needed in the entire system and it can be cleaned regularly. You could still target feed the corals. I can't think of a better way to source tanks who did a startover. id name it masons dino free for thee frag system, as an arbitrary moniker.

how are you going to stock the tank to ensure no reimport, the corals

Heres what I did....Your results may vary

1. Vacuum as much of the sandbed as possible that is covered with Dinos. Put this contaminated sand in a container full of RO water. Dont return this sand to the tank right away

2. Perform a 50% water change. At this point if possible add a 200 micron filter sock to your filtration and replace as needed

3. 3 day blackout (your coral will be fine) reduce feedings as well.(Your fish will also be fine)

4.At this point cut your photoperiod in half for at least a week and keep track of any dinos

5. During this period if possible begin dosing additional bacterial diversity such as zeobak/microbacter. Also try keep your nitrates and phosphates as low as possible

6. Another 3 day blackout

This helped me tremendously as I had the Ostreopsis strain of dinos

Well I have been vaccuming my sand bed but not removing any. I think thats a great idea and will start to remove affected patches of sand and soak in RO water. I am currently in the middle of my black out and will see how things look afterwards. I will look into getting some zeobak/microbacter and dose that if I need to do another blackout. I'm going to throw everthing I have at this before it gets out of hand. Oh and BTW I absolutly love your tank. :wub:

No. Sadly, I am still in the process of a tear-down/rebuild. I have no current results to share, as I have not even reintroduced my fish yet.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you have success with your rebuild. :(

hope it worked- time to get out the dslr :)

hyposalinity=20% but what else could we do, its not like we can take a butter knife and scrape off the layer.

I cant think of any better way to prep a fish. aware that hyposalinity has been ascribed a greater than 20% chance of winning, agreed its good candidate. awaiting threads tho, until we get ten pages everything's 20 pct heh

if anyone is having trouble finding a big dinos thread to run their treatment du jour I vote the reef2reef dinos thread or that very one from rc. rc one has ran four yrs has nothing consistent, they are beckoning such an easy fix.

Someone should set up those all plastic no lr no sand frag rack tanks and sell/source frags from them, its the highest control over surface area we could have in a source tank. you could direct dip plug bases to hopefully sterilize, making the coral surface the only living tissue in the tank as a dino control.

qt these frag tanks a long time to prove sterility. clean the inside tank surfaces regularly and use direct adsorbtion of ammonia in media canisters so no nitrification is needed in the entire system and it can be cleaned regularly. You could still target feed the corals. I can't think of a better way to source tanks who did a startover. id name it masons dino free for thee frag system, as an arbitrary moniker.

how are you going to stock the tank to ensure no reimport, the corals

It is nigh-impossible to completely account for it. One major option to at least attempt is peroxide dipping, which I may be doing from here onward. Dosage will be higher than whole-tank dosing, but definitely diluted from they typical 3%. No comment on the efficacy for this particular purpose, but it is at least partially effective on the tests I did with some dino strands--they turned brownish after about a minute or so of contact with a roughly 0.5% solution. I couldn't verify at that particular time if there was still any observable motility or if they would possibly recover after placement back in seawater.

So, I was doing some research on dinos and I realized that Oodinium is technically a dino and can be treated with copper or Metronidazole at 14 mg/L. Got the dosage from a biology presentation I found on line. Metronidazole is technically reef safe though it can kill bacteria and such. For the fish, maybe you can treat the water they are in with Metronidazole to get rid of it on their slime coat. For the tank, take a sample of the dinos and add a solution of the Metronidazole and see if it kills them. If it does, maybe you can turn off the pumps and apply the Metronidazole via syringe to the areas with highest concentration of dinos. Just figured this could be something else you can try and I haven't seen anyone else mention trying it.

Edit:

I think it will take a couple treatments before you see any improvement if it does possibly work.

Well I have been vaccuming my sand bed but not removing any. I think thats a great idea and will start to remove affected patches of sand and soak in RO water. I am currently in the middle of my black out and will see how things look afterwards. I will look into getting some zeobak/microbacter and dose that if I need to do another blackout. I'm going to throw everthing I have at this before it gets out of hand. Oh and BTW I absolutly love your tank. :wub:

Thanks alot jesader its much appreciated :happy: . Yea the method I used above is what saved my tank. Most reefers wait too long to properly treat this issue but its usually because they have a hard time identifying it in the first place. (Myself included) I initially thought they were diatoms but my cuc refused to touch it. Then i thought it was cyano and treated the tank with chemiclean (no effects obviously) Then as a last resort I spent a couple hundred bucks and bought a microscope. I took pictures and video and sent them to a scientist to confirm their identity.

NO water changes!!! In my experience, it 100% feeds them.

I found multiple blackouts seems to put a good dent in them. I would do a 3 days blackout, light on for one day, 3 day blackout, ect and no no no water changes.

I have beat these jerks twice and by beat... I mean... they aren't visible but probably hanging around... dormant... waiting for me to do a huge water change.

Thanks alot jesader its much appreciated :happy: . Yea the method I used above is what saved my tank. Most reefers wait too long to properly treat this issue but its usually because they have a hard time identifying it in the first place. (Myself included) I initially thought they were diatoms but my cuc refused to touch it. Then i thought it was cyano and treated the tank with chemiclean (no effects obviously) Then as a last resort I spent a couple hundred bucks and bought a microscope. I took pictures and video and sent them to a scientist to confirm their identity.

I think it is really hard to identify cyano and dinos from just pictures alone,unless you have the red cyano. I also though I was just dealing with cyano until I looked at it under a scope. My dinos did not look like the classic cases seen in pictures in the forums.

NO water changes!!! In my experience, it 100% feeds them.

I found multiple blackouts seems to put a good dent in them. I would do a 3 days blackout, light on for one day, 3 day blackout, ect and no no no water changes.

I have beat these jerks twice and by beat... I mean... they aren't visible but probably hanging around... dormant... waiting for me to do a huge water change.

Nope, no water changes here. When I said that I vaccum my sand, I meant through a filter sock in my sump. It's been a month since my last water change and this makes me nervous. :o. How did your coral do with the extra 3 day blackout?

I can't speak for Tamberav, but I tried even 11 day blackouts without killing anything--dinos or coral. Those lengths of time are certain incredibly harsh, but not fatal for many. I suspect the usual 3 day will be weathered just fine by the corals, assuming they are reasonably healthy.

I think it is really hard to identify cyano and dinos from just pictures alone,unless you have the red cyano. I also though I was just dealing with cyano until I looked at it under a scope. My dinos did not look like the classic cases seen in pictures in the forums.

I agree a microscope is necessary in most cases.

Heres some vids i took of them... covering the sand

250X

Heres one all by itself

1000x

Heres one dying

1000X

This is what it looks like after it dies (they actually explode)

1000x

I agree a microscope is necessary in most cases.

Heres some vids i took of them... covering the sand

250X

Heres one all by itself

1000x

Heres one dying

1000X

This is what it looks like after it dies (they actually explode)

1000x

Wow those are some nice clear videos you got there. I had to use my kids microscope for my id. It wasn't very clear,but got the job done. My dinos where really slow moving compared to those videos and I enjoyed the video of the exploded dino. I hope mine are exploding little *&%$##, or atleat dying.

20150116_165419_zps8a6ef14e.jpg

Here are the results of my 3 day blackout.This picture was taken this afternoon after leaving the lights on. Since I did get a tiny bit of growback, I'm going to do another 3 day black out and see what happens.

20150120_133030_zpscb27c7f9.jpg20150120_133659_zps555e9b33.jpg

Here are some follow up pics of my second three day blackout. I'm very happy with the results so far, but only time will tell if they come back again. I'm going to hold off my overdue water change untill next week.

Good luck. Even 12-day blackouts were only a temporary band-aid for my tank's infestation, as they came back within about 6 weeks. Hope yours are much less resilient and that you can beat them without going to any extremes.

Good luck. Even 12-day blackouts were only a temporary band-aid for my tank's infestation, as they came back within about 6 weeks. Hope yours are much less resilient and that you can beat them without going to any extr emes.

I hope so. I know that there has been some sucess stories and I hope that I will be one of them. If what I'm doing doesnt work, I plan on vacuuming out my sand bed since it seems that is the only place it grows.

• 5 months later...

20150629_165040_zpspxwwlqth.jpg

Its been a while since my last post do I thought I would update with what has and hasn't worked for me.

Did not work

-Lights out for three days one day on another three days out.

-Daily vacuuming into a filter sock in my sump

-Completely moving the top layer of my sand followed be two weeks of peroxide dosing.

-Two months of no water changes.This with lights out worked great until I started doing water changes again.

Has worked so far.

-I decided to take jedimasterben's lead and remove my sandbed and build an algae scrubber.

Its has been about two months now since I've removed my sand bed and installed the scrubber. I have not seen any signs of dinos in about a month now. My patches of GHA are green once again and not rusty brown when covered in dinos. I really think you can't beat dino, but you can keep them at bay. Unfortunately I'm getting cyano now the dinos are gone.

I recently had success with Fauna Marin Dino X. You can check out my threads in this same forum.

• 2 months later...

20150629_165040_zpspxwwlqth.jpg

Its been a while since my last post do I thought I would update with what has and hasn't worked for me.

Did not work

-Lights out for three days one day on another three days out.

-Daily vacuuming into a filter sock in my sump

-Completely moving the top layer of my sand followed be two weeks of peroxide dosing.

-Two months of no water changes.This with lights out worked great until I started doing water changes again.

Has worked so far.

-I decided to take jedimasterben's lead and remove my sandbed and build an algae scrubber.

Its has been about two months now since I've removed my sand bed and installed the scrubber. I have not seen any signs of dinos in about a month now. My patches of GHA are green once again and not rusty brown when covered in dinos. I really think you can't beat dino, but you can keep them at bay. Unfortunately I'm getting cyano now the dinos are gone.

Any dinos now? And did you add sand back?

i see this as a changing of the conditions that supported the colony, and now some ramp down time as that colony still shares cross support but is diminishing.

removing a sandbed and installing plant export is a fine mode for anyones reef. When we have certain strains of dinos that command absolute action in one way or another, or a combination of them + generous time after change in status to measure, we have a real chance.

I say your continued course of action is simple, attack the colonies that remain and no nothing else to your tank, you just changed the stasis and the short term release of nutrient stores as you changed things around fueled what little of the colonies of cyano and dino were left

imo, its all pointed siphon removal for the next two mos. see a patch of X, siphon X out of tank, and replace w clean water, over and over.

Any dinos now? And did you add sand back?

Nope no sign of them yet. I haven't add the sand bed back yet, but will very soon since I hate the look of a bare bottom tank.

Archived