Top Shelf Aquatics

My little POTO- SPS heavy mixed reef

Slowtwitch

Photo dump. Really need to get a better camera.

Nuclear Greens

20150127_125640_RichtoneHDR1_zpsr7qdkwtt

Green Paly. Hard for the camera to pick up the striations in this.

20150127_1317371_zpsifpz3ut5.jpg

Sunny D's

20150127_1254281_zpspfzgphxg.jpg

Mohawks

20150127_125523_RichtoneHDR1_zps8yasgkig

Rastas

20150127_1326081_zpsbnexyzit.jpg

• Like 2

Picked up a Mexican Turbo to combat the growing cyano outbreak. Man can those little suckers Hoover up the algae. Will most likely take him back to the LFS once I get the shipment from Reefcleaners since I don't want a bulldozer in the tank pushing frag plugs around that aren't glued down. Already had to replace one piece of rock rubble with a macro on it got that toppled over.

So one of my unidentified zoa frags has been acting a little off the past couple of days. Closed up pretty tight for the past two days. Well today I was breathing a sigh of relief when I noticed it opening back up but figured I better keep a close eye on it just in case. Don't you know that as I'm watching a damn nudi crawls across the face of one of the polyps! Grabbed that frag as quick as I could and back into the dip it goes. What are my chances that it was the only one in the tank? Luckily nothing else is acting weird....yet.

• Like 1

Found two more tiny nudi's on a zoa frag yesterday. Of course this one is glued to a piece of base rock so I couldn't pull it out and dip it. I was able to get them with a pair of tweezers and get them out of the tank. They must have come in as eggs since everything was dipped before it went into the tank. Anybody now how fast they reproduce? Since the tank is new they can't have been in there more than a couple of weeks. Continuing the search for more of the buggers.

Haven't seen anymore nudis on the zoas and all but one or two polyps are open and looking happy.

I've been spot feeding a couple of the hidden cup corals and can see that they are responding well. Hoping to get some new growth and a nice little colony on that rock.

I think I've finally identified the mystery nems that came in on the live rock as sponge anemones. There are about 8 of them total with the largest about the size of a dime. They will take a whole small mysis shrimp at feeding time! They have a pretty white snowflake pattern on their face and speckled tentacles that fluoresce green and red under my blues. Mabe they will turn into something really nice as they mature.

The turbos I added to clean up some algae were doing a lackluster job so I pulled the trigger with reefcleaners and the snail bomb is on its way. Hope they arrive safe and warm.

Added a new green faced trumpet frag which I will take pictures of once the cleaners get things looking respectable again.

Also, I can see new growth in the Halimeda macro that hitchhiked in. Any thoughts on letting that continue to develop?

Looking at a macro lens attachment and possibly a ring flash for my Canon powershot. Anybody have suggestions?

• Like 1

Haven't seen anymore nudis on the zoas and all but one or two polyps are open and looking happy.

I've been spot feeding a couple of the hidden cup corals and can see that they are responding well. Hoping to get some new growth and a nice little colony on that rock.

I think I've finally identified the mystery nems that came in on the live rock as sponge anemones. There are about 8 of them total with the largest about the size of a dime. They will take a whole small mysis shrimp at feeding time! They have a pretty white snowflake pattern on their face and speckled tentacles that fluoresce green and red under my blues. Mabe they will turn into something really nice as they mature.

The turbos I added to clean up some algae were doing a lackluster job so I pulled the trigger with reefcleaners and the snail bomb is on its way. Hope they arrive safe and warm.

Added a new green faced trumpet frag which I will take pictures of once the cleaners get things looking respectable again.

Also, I can see new growth in the Halimeda macro that hitchhiked in. Any thoughts on letting that continue to develop?

Looking at a macro lens attachment and possibly a ring flash for my Canon powershot. Anybody have suggestions?

Nudis are the worst, best of luck keeping them out of your tank!

Full CUC installed and already working. Note to self: Next time you put small snails in the tank feed the Mantis first!!...Thank God John Maloney can't count too well. Thanks John for the extras!! reefcleaners is awesome.

20150206_1135281_zpsvxkgpu7y.jpg

20150206_1136161_zpsb5cpki0r.jpg

20150206_1136311_zpscpkvoxay.jpg

20150206_1136441_zpsbibaabe8.jpg

Sea Hare is on loan from the LFS. She goes back to the store today.

New Ric

20150206_1241361_zpsg7wmcdld.jpg

New Trumpet

20150206_1240381_zps79rh61lu.jpg

• Like 3

Totally following. I'm getting some Gulf Rock, too, in a few weeks. I'm going to have to buy some beer for local reefers so that they can spot nuisance hitchhikers that I don't recognize! :unsure:

Keep the updates flowing, friend. :D

• Like 2

Nice tank! Sorry to hear about your problems with nudibranchs, they are horrible sometimes.

Maybe slow down on the "acquisition speed" of getting new corals? Looks like stuff is piling in fast. All the same, I really have nothing to criticize, it looks great.

• Like 1

Nice tank! Sorry to hear about your problems with nudibranchs, they are horrible sometimes.

Maybe slow down on the "acquisition speed" of getting new corals? Looks like stuff is piling in fast. All the same, I really have nothing to criticize, it looks great.

Nudis seem to be gone. Zoas all look good and I noticed a couple of new polyps popping up already. No new acquisitions planned any time real soon. Time to let things grow and settle in.

Thanks for looking. :-)

Slowtwitch asked me to see if it looked like there were vermetid snails on the trumpet corals. I cropped the picture to get a closer look. It's hard to tell but it does look like there might be some here:

15865909934_b9f3342a25_b.jpgVermetids? by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Do they grow snotty strings when you blow off the rocks or feed really small foods? If they do, they're almost certainly vermetids. I'll see if I can get a good picture of one of mine and post it here so you can compare.

Edit: just posted a picture of one in my 4g thread. I didn't want to hijack your thread, and it's not a pretty picture :lol:

• Like 1

Slowtwitch asked me to see if it looked like there were vermetid snails on the trumpet corals. I cropped the picture to get a closer look. It's hard to tell but it does look like there might be some here:

15865909934_b9f3342a25_b.jpgVermetids? by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Do they grow snotty strings when you blow off the rocks or feed really small foods? If they do, they're almost certainly vermetids. I'll see if I can get a good picture of one of mine and post it here so you can compare.

Edit: just posted a picture of one in my 4g thread. I didn't want to hijack your thread, and it's not a pretty picture :lol:

I have not seen the "snotty strings" but they look exactly like the picture you posted on your own thread. Maybe they are dead from the coral dips? Popped those suckers off the frag last night just to be certain.

• Like 1

FTS today.

Yes there is a lot of green on that rock. The bulk of the CUC was added less than a week ago. They are working on it.

The polyp on the lower right is closed up because just before I took the picture a hermit walked across it. Both the GoW and Rasta frags are making new heads as well as the two paly frags on either side in the back. :D

The acans are eating like pigs.

Mr. Mantis is still camera shy, but he sure makes his presence known when he sees the turkey baster come out! After the initial carnage when the CUC was installed, he seems to be leaving the snails alone.

Still debating on a fish. Not sure I want one, but think I should have at least one. Thoughts/ suggestions?

20150210_1653131_zps2lorfaxv.jpg

• Like 3

FTS today.

Yes there is a lot of green on that rock. The bulk of the CUC was added less than a week ago. They are working on it.

The polyp on the lower right is closed up because just before I took the picture a hermit walked across it. Both the GoW and Rasta frags are making new heads as well as the two paly frags on either side in the back. :D

The acans are eating like pigs.

Mr. Mantis is still camera shy, but he sure makes his presence known when he sees the turkey baster come out! After the initial carnage when the CUC was installed, he seems to be leaving the snails alone.

Still debating on a fish. Not sure I want one, but think I should have at least one. Thoughts/ suggestions?

20150210_1653131_zps2lorfaxv.jpg

Yellow Watchman Goby B)

Yellow Watchman Goby B)

Just worry with gobies and blennys that they will quickly become mantis food...

Ah, an excellent concern. I totally read through your thread earlier, saw the post about having a mantis, totally forgot about it after staring about the pics for a few minutes. B) I've always liked Pygmy Wrasses too as long as you dont mind not seeing them for a week at a time.

I have not seen the "snotty strings" but they look exactly like the picture you posted on your own thread. Maybe they are dead from the coral dips? Popped those suckers off the frag last night just to be certain.

I honestly don't know if a coral dip would kill them or not. I did a lot of research on how to kill them and nobody mentioned coral dips. Either way you did the right thing to get rid of them :)

The FTS looks great :wub:

• Like 1

I honestly don't know if a coral dip would kill them or not. I did a lot of research on how to kill them and nobody mentioned coral dips. Either way you did the right thing to get rid of them :)

The FTS looks great :wub:

Thanks, It'll look even better when I get the rest of the frag plugs out of there and get those pieces glued in place. Just not decided for certain where to put them yet. Lot's of real estate to cover yet as stuff grows in.

Any one have thoughts on letting Halimeda grow in a DT. I know it's not the fanciest macro out there, but it seems pretty tough and I have several areas that are springing up in my live rock. Being calcareous, is it going to pull that much calcium out of the water? The rock in the right front seems to have the most growth starting on it. About 5-6 1/2" sprigs growing up.

Not much to report here this week. Things continue to perk along. Seeing new polyp growth on almost all the zoas which is great. Three new heads on the rastas and three on the GoW's. The mohawks are attaching to the live rock and I've seen a couple of new heads pop out of the stalks on these guys instead of at the base. The new acans continue to look happy and healthy though I have slowed down on their feeding schedule a bit. Mr. Mantis continues to patrol the tank looking for food all day long. He eats a half of a salad size shrimp every day (about a third of an inch) and still acts hungry all the time!

Really looking at getting a rock flower nem. My LFS has a couple in stock right now. Two greens and a beautiful orange face with blue skirt. :wub: Pretty sure that one is coming home with me on Saturday. Asked them to hold it until then when I go in to pick up a couple of magnetic frag plugs they ordered for me. :D

• Like 2

So the rock nem did not come home this weekend. He would not let go of his rock and we were afraid of injury while trying to break the rock apart. There is a wavemaker pointing directly at him now to try to get him to release on his own. LFS is supposed to call as soon as he detaches.

Woke up this morning to find my emerald crab with toes pointing heavenward, or at least I thought. When I fished out the "corpse" it collapsed in on itself. On closer examination I found that he had just shed. :rolleyes: Whew! When I found him in the rockwork chowing down on some GHA I was quite happy. It looks like he has grown considerably.

Moved a few things around in the tank this weekend as I am expecting a package from CGA this week. :happydance: Can't wait. Glenn put together a package I couldn't refuse. Pics to follow after it arrives.

• Like 2