Pod Your Reef

My little POTO- SPS heavy mixed reef

Slowtwitch

I've been really unhappy with this tank for the past few weeks. First I had the heater malfunction then a crazy hair algae outbreak which made everything look disgusting. I lost a couple of corals and several fish from the cold snap. Last week I had had enough of fighting the algae. Pulling and scrubbing rocks every other day, plus nearly starving everything to keep nutrients as low as possible wasn't working. The urchins and snails were not keeping up and so I finally broke down and bought a couple of lettuce nudis. That was the tipping point. I think I am finally getting ahead of the algae and things are starting to look almost presentable again. I did a little rearranging today a took a couple of pics. Had to move a couple of pieces because they were starting to war against each other. I also moved the euphyllia to the big tank since I really want his one to become a lot more sps focused.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the troubles, hope everything improves!

Things are starting to turn around. The lettuce nudis are amazing. As soon as I'm sure I've got control again I want to order some stuff from Adam at Battlecorals.
  • Like 1

Improved FTS

gcCR8OH.jpg

Setosa and rainbow Monti continue to look good

fxi35Y7.jpg

A week ago you couldn't see these frags because the hair algae was so thick

jxAgDJc.jpg

This "purple" duncan has gone from a single head to about 6 in 3-4 months but it is slowly turning green. Anyone know how you keep them purple?

gHuO5zV.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks. Colors are a little washed out in that photo but I like where it's going. I need to find a couple of pink/red/orange sticks to round out the color palette.

Nice Tank! :wub:

• Like 2

Looks great! If you ever find out how to get the purple duncans to stay that way, let me know. Mine were supposed to be purple when I got them from Liveaquaria, but they stubbornly stay green. Every once in a while I see a little hint of purple, just enough to give me hope. But no luck so far.

• Like 1

Thanks Jack. I'm sure someday you'll post a picture so that I can say the same.... :rolleyes:

:^ D

You must be huffing that laughing gas again.

:^ )

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Slowtwitch

Couple of quick pics with the new cell phone camera.

suakn5N.jpg

H2qy1pH.jpg

Slimer is reaching out to touch his buddy Dracula

sR7xQLy.jpg

mG28nF8.jpg

This little birdsnest looks like it's under the acans from this angle, but it's really not.

y69RbSS.jpg

Fluffy stick

Z2pSayf.jpg

Mushroom Macro

tpAKvEE.jpg

• Like 6
Slowtwitch

Looks great! What kind of acro is Dracula?

Supposed to be a stag. It's a really nice looking piece IRL. Photo doesnt really do it justice. Seems to be a decent grower, just not as fast as the slimer that im going to have to clip in a couple days if they start to war.
  • Like 1

Supposed to be a stag. It's a really nice looking piece IRL. Photo doesnt really do it justice. Seems to be a decent grower, just not as fast as the slimer that im going to have to clip in a couple days if they start to war.

I agree, it's beautiful! I have a weakness for dark blue corals :)

• Like 1
Slowtwitch

I agree, it's beautiful! I have a weakness for dark blue corals :)

When it gets big enough to frag, I'll get you a piece. But if you are in a hurry, I think I got it from Holly at Cultivated Reef.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...