Pod Your Reef

Legendary PicoReef, Floating Tonga Zoa Islands

buddythelion

And so... It begins. Finally going to be doing another build, but this time a fun pico! The theme of the tank is to keep all those frags I've always wanted but never had space in my other display tank for and to keep it as low maintenance as possible. I've actually had this tank up for 3 weeks now, but making a thread so I have to take photos of my progress. Going for new ideas with this tank. :)

Tank:

PetCo 3.7g AIO

Equipment:

• Custom Collab Nano Box Reef Tide w/ Storm Box
  • Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 50w Heater
  • Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180
  • AODE Digital LCD Thermometer
  • Two Little Fishies BettaMag Magnetic Cleaner

Scape:

• J6 Custom Floating Tonga Branch Limited Edition Artisan Scape (bathed in the tears of unicorns and made of rock worshiped by Spartans in ancient times)
  • Jack 'O Lantern Sandbed

Stocking List:

Fish: TBD (Flaming Prawn Gobies or White Cap Goby)

Inverts:

• TBD, thinking between Bongo Shrimps or Harlequin Shirmps, but their voracious appetites scares me a bit on keeping up with water quality.
  • 1 Banded Trochus Snail
  • 2 Stomatellas

Corals:

Zoas:

• Electric Oompa Loompas
  • Lady Vampires
  • CRC Train Wrecks
  • Ultimate Chaos
  • CRC Goldfinger, black variant

SPS:

• TBD, not sure if I want to dose such a small tank often.

LPS:

• TBD, will add Jack O Lantern Leptoseris
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be working on pics eventually. For my scape I plan on having floating tonga branches, something I think I'll have the first of for a pico! It's very difficult to find small pieces of tonga branch, let alone know how to make them magnetic so that they'll attach in between the AIO chambers of the pico. So with no scaping skills of my own I got in contact with my good friend J6 jestersix on facebook to custom make me one! He's always wanted to try out a scape like mine, so we both get to have a lot of fun with this tank!

And after a few days he sent me a sneak preview... A dream come true! Can't wait to pick up my scape! I HIGHLY recommend J6 as he's hands down the best scaper I know, and he can create anything you can think of. :)

Here's his link:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/J6-jestersix/148706888627577

Video:

Some Snipping Tool pics from the video, I'll have to get my own photos when I pick it up this weekend.
16261059882_06b9ef725f_b.jpg
16074532500_255f322bf1_b.jpg
Some of his other works:
10846036_410469665784630_540174241107051
10394096_310425309122400_113794374658612
Magentic!
10407393_306310676200530_194424004788171
MP10 covers, I got to prototype one.
10259789_297561767075421_850515210321569
And this piece is still in my Solana :)
1911747_273170379514560_1618171617_n.jpg
71690_272576982907233_1989891139_n.jpg?o

So here's the plan, the floating Tonga Branches will be in 3 islands. It will be mostly covered with zoas and other encrusters. Perhaps 1-2 SPS pieces, but I'm not sure yet since the purpose of this tank is to keep it fun but also low maintenance.

On the bottom, I'm going for a Jack O Lantern sandbed. How cool would that be, to just see a blinding orange bottom when the nightlights are on from the Nano Box? Haven't seen it done yet... so going for firsts with this tank! I'll start with a frag that will eventually pool out the entire bottom of the tank. Once it's encrusted enough onto the bottom glass, I'll pop the original frag off so that it'll pool back into the missing frag piece and keep the whole entire floor flat.

Right now I'm pretty set on Jack O Lantern, but I do have 3 very nice leptos in the collection to choose from...

What do you guys think I should do?

Choice #1: JF Jack O Lantern

16051326627_35b659948c_b.jpg

Choice #2: AOA Molten Lava Lepto

16211275796_8d1f2158c7_b.jpg

Choice #3: RR/Tyree Fallen Horizon Lepto (A more red body version of Jack O)

16258738552_9da5f683a2_b.jpg

Some zoas from the Legendary Collection that I think would look stunning in the tank. I'm going for more unnamed/interesting pieces and brightness factors.

YR Peachy Blues are really bright... a pretty good candidate:

16144491542_d24cd43a54_b.jpg

LC Petroglyphs are something I'm thinking about, they're very bright but I already have a mini colony in the Solana (soon to be PicoAquariums :D )

15522912894_175fb116e7_b.jpg

I have Speckled Fire and Ices in my other tank, but they're one of my top morphs so I gotta have them in this pico!

16119466796_576b4047e7_b.jpg

My favorite rainbow, Tyree Oranges. They grow a bit fast but they're worth the real estate.

15708263740_2987829514_b.jpg

And I definitely am going to add Lite-Brites! Small polyps but one of the brightest things I'll ever see! Perfect for a pico.

15694559448_28d1718aa8_b.jpg

I feel spoiled, being able to grab so many corals from my own frag tank lol.

I'm afraid that they're going to grow too large and take the whole pico tank look away, but they're so bright... Very tempted to add a small one.

15615687463_8a56f96479_b.jpg

Here's my sexy smexy Nano Box Tide from Dave. Finally set up a pico to use this bad boy! Now all I need is those collab decals we planned about a year ago Dave!

It's the bottom left, got featured in ReefBuilders too. ;)

Nano-Box-Reef-Mini-Tide.jpg

This is the plan on how the light's gnna look with the future decals (excuse my poor non-existent photoshop skills. Paint will have to do):

13210357354_62f09c246c_c.jpg

Current Settings:

PWM (Day):
Ch1: 200 (it's pretty high, but I enjoy my corals on the blue side. LOL)
Ch2: 30
Ch3-6: 80

PWM (Night):
Ch1: 1
Ch2: 0
Ch3-6: 3

Set Sunrise Mode: Manual

Set Sunrise Time: 12:00 Manual

Set Sunset Time: 22:00 Manual

Set Ramp Time: 30 Minutes

Set Ramp Delay:

Ch1: 0
Ch 2: 30
Ch3-6: 2

Set Cloud Freq: 0

Cloud Channels: All Channels to 1

Lightning Freq: 0

Moonphase Adjust: Off

Set Lat/Long/GMT: Default settings of 38/-122/-8

Temp Disp: F

Ch4 Ch5 Fan?: N

Daylight Savings: On

And if anyone's curious, here's a google image I found of the tank's box. Don't let it fool you! It's by far one of the best pico's I've run across for the price. At $49.99, the back chamber designs were way better than CADlight's pico and it's a price you just can't beat for a fun tank.

(not my photo)

0GBZ3nV.png

The first chamber has two media cartridges that reach all the way to the bottom, forcing water to go through them. The first cartridge has floss with carbon inside. The second is filled with small ceramic rocks, guess it can be used as live rock replacement.

Then there's a small baffle that separates the first and second chamber while most tanks only have a divider. Pretty nifty of Petco to think of that! The second chamber I've filled with small live rock pieces. On the bottom of the second chamber is an opening into the third/return chamber. The only heater that would fit in this chamber and is controllable is the Cobalt Neo-Therm. It also reads your temperature too, and it's definitely worth the investment since the tank is so small. I replaced the pump with a Hydor Pico 180 and used the stock tubing, elbow, and flare nozzle. Tip: Heat the tubing first and then use a tweezer to help wrap the stock tubing around the Hydor Pico. The tubing they provide is a bit thick, so it's hard to wrap it around.

It's not too late, but I wish I painted the whole back black. But then a theory struck me, if your whole back wall is covered in algae, is that sort of the same as an algae scrubber?... Because the algae on the back wall is competing with algae on the display side of the glass? It makes sense to me, so I guess that's how I'm going to compensate not painting the back of the tank black, LOL.

This stunner is hopefully coming in this week or the next. Check out those adonis like skirts on a black body. ;)

$_57.JPG

I liek dis.

I have to learn how to take good looking photos of yours, I've only taken top down photos for the past years LOL.

biutiful...following along

Thank you! :)

I'm afraid that they're going to grow too large and take the whole pico tank look away, but they're so bright... Very tempted to add a small one.

15615687463_8a56f96479_b.jpg

Very nice! Shrooms can grow big and dominate a small tank...on the other hand these are so nice you can just chop them up and sell them to feed the habit. I imagine you wont have trouble selling these!

Good luck! I have a Fluval Spec 2G...so I know the joys of small AIOs.

Very nice! Shrooms can grow big and dominate a small tank...on the other hand these are so nice you can just chop them up and sell them to feed the habit. I imagine you wont have trouble selling these!

Good luck! I have a Fluval Spec 2G...so I know the joys of small AIOs.

Good points! Maybe I'll add one but keep it on the plug in case I change my mind.

I'm definitely enjoying this pico already. No fish and no hard corals = no algae and no dosing. :D

Could you let me know how maintenance is on your pico? I saw some monti caps and would have thought they take a good amount of elements in a small tank.

Sadly, the tank took a hit when I moved to Tx, and another when i was on travel and did not hook up the ATO. Oops! Lost monticaps and trumpets from Gena, will need to reboot once I get the system stabilized. A little battle with bubble algae ongoing, plucking and rinshing with peroxide seems to have it under control.

The Monticaps did GREAT, and I did routine large water changes (25% once a week). I also direct fed some reef roids and Kent Accel biweekly which lead to GREAT growth.

Have a look at the link to my 2G build and let me know what you think.

E

Very cool! I've got a pico in the works myself. :)

No doubt that this little tank will be an absolute stunner! Meanwhile, I'm just hoping mine actually happens at some point, lol.

On the bottom, I'm going for a Jack O Lantern sandbed. How cool would that be, to just see a blinding orange bottom when the nightlights are on from the Nano Box? Haven't seen it done yet... so going for firsts with this tank! I'll start with a frag that will eventually pool out the entire bottom of the tank. Once it's encrusted enough onto the bottom glass, I'll pop the original frag off so that it'll pool back into the missing frag piece and keep the whole entire floor flat.

Right now I'm pretty set on Jack O Lantern, but I do have 3 very nice leptos in the collection to choose from...

What do you guys think I should do?

Choice #1: JF Jack O Lantern

16051326627_35b659948c_b.jpg

Choice #2: AOA Molten Lava Lepto

16211275796_8d1f2158c7_b.jpg

Wow I love the idea of a Jack o'lantern bottom. I say go with that morph. The molten Lava is pretty awesome though -- I've not seen that morph before. *cough* Might there be any coming up for sale on the LC website when the weather is less obnoxiously cold?

Some zoas from the Legendary Collection that I think would look stunning in the tank. I'm going for more unnamed/interesting pieces and brightness factors.

And I definitely am going to add Lite-Brites! Small polyps but one of the brightest things I'll ever see! Perfect for a pico.

15694559448_28d1718aa8_b.jpg

Yeah! These are so awesome! My little plug of them has been multiplying well. I really love them. :)

Following btw :D

Man those are some sweet custom rock pieces, I really like the mp10s hider and that magnetic plug rock looks really natural. Awesome stuff man!

Def go with the jack o lantern. Find the right spot for it and they grow pretty fast imo. You could also do a cyphastrea. They grow quickly and the polyps on the bottom would look cool

Sadly, the tank took a hit when I moved to Tx, and another when i was on travel and did not hook up the ATO. Oops! Lost monticaps and trumpets from Gena, will need to reboot once I get the system stabilized. A little battle with bubble algae ongoing, plucking and rinshing with peroxide seems to have it under control.

The Monticaps did GREAT, and I did routine large water changes (25% once a week). I also direct fed some reef roids and Kent Accel biweekly which lead to GREAT growth.

Have a look at the link to my 2G build and let me know what you think.

E

I've never had much trouble with bubble algae before. But hair algae, urgh... Already checked out your build, that's how I know about the montis. ;)

That's one thing I'm worried about this tank is the lack of food if I keep this tank fishless. Might have to do feedings like you. Love how water changes are so easy with a pico.

Damn,I really like what's going on here !! Following along.

Thanks!

Very cool! I've got a pico in the works myself. :)

No doubt that this little tank will be an absolute stunner! Meanwhile, I'm just hoping mine actually happens at some point, lol.

Lol I know what you mean man. It's sometimes hard to keep yourself motivated with personal displays when you have frag tanks already and you sell corals vs keep them. There's just pieces that you want to see grow rather than sell though.

Wow I love the idea of a Jack o'lantern bottom. I say go with that morph. The molten Lava is pretty awesome though -- I've not seen that morph before. *cough* Might there be any coming up for sale on the LC website when the weather is less obnoxiously cold?

Yeah! These are so awesome! My little plug of them has been multiplying well. I really love them. :)

Following btw :D

Hehehe! The AOA Molten Lava is a new piece we picked up from a good friend at a local swap. It's a newcomer to the lepto game and it's a doozy. Should have frags in about 2 months! The lite-brites are great growers! Quite the opposite of most microzoas. How are the rings on yours? We've been having some frags lose them and others keep them.

Hot dang, can't wait to see what your going to add into the pico.

I've been bad. Bought some collector pieces already lol. I need this rock scape asap so they can start filling out.

Man those are some sweet custom rock pieces, I really like the mp10s hider and that magnetic plug rock looks really natural. Awesome stuff man!

J6 Jester is the man! I actually have one of his mp10 hiders. My plan was to cover it up with some SPS so that I get a floating island while hiding the MP10. My piece is his first design since I brought the idea up to him and I still need to tweak with it to optimize the flow. I'm trying to get more peeps interested in his work since there's no better way to make a scape for nanos than having custom work.

Def go with the jack o lantern. Find the right spot for it and they grow pretty fast imo. You could also do a cyphastrea. They grow quickly and the polyps on the bottom would look cool

Yeah, I think I'm set on the jack o. I didn't even think of doing a cyphstrea, those polyps would definitely look cool! Or even a stylo floor.

Like, wow.

:)

This is going to be really cool.

I'm hoping so.

I'm excited :)

Me too.

Hehehe! The AOA Molten Lava is a new piece we picked up from a good friend at a local swap. It's a newcomer to the lepto game and it's a doozy. Should have frags in about 2 months! The lite-brites are great growers! Quite the opposite of most microzoas. How are the rings on yours? We've been having some frags lose them and others keep them.

Mine have kept their rings, if anything they are even more distinct. I'll have to get pics.

So, in 2 months the weather should be great. You can set aside a frag of Molten Lava, an ultra lava lamps, and a pink polyped eco-gorg for me. ;)

EDIT: Pics! SO I just got an iPhone6 yesterday. Working on making my shots prettier, though they will never be as nice as Darwin's. The zoas aren't as washed out as they look in this pic, they are really bright.

LiteBrite_zps9868e741.jpg

Archived