inTank Media Baskets

Sandsifting Goby Questions

Snow_Phoenix

Hi, I have a 8G Nano cube-ish tank with a Diamond Goby (Valenciennea puellaris) that's around 2.5" long. When I first got him, he had an enlarged head, concave belly and relatively stick-thin body. He was also crammed in a 6G display tank at the LFS with easily 30 over fish and a few dead nems sitting at the bottom. So I took a risk, brought him back home with me and have already kept him with me for almost 2 months. He has fattened up a bit, eats pieces of jumbo shrimp twice a day (tweezer-fed), even steals coral food and eats Hikari Marine S pellets.

Needless to say, I'm happy with him and he's doing well. Only one problem - I have a relatively shallow sandbed of 1" or so. So my question is:

1. Can I add fresh sand to my current sandbed, or will that start a new cycle on its own?

Also, I'll be upgrading my nano to a 2' long which is around 20ish gallons, or am aiming to go for a custom-build that's 30G (but it will be 2' long x 2' high x 1' wide). So my next question is:

2. Will I be able to add another small sand-dwelling goby like a Hi-Fin goby + pistol shrimp pair, or do a pink spotted watchman goby (Cryptocentrus leptocephalus) in the same tank with my diamond goby?

Thanks in advance for reading this.

1. As long as the sand is not expired (yes the bag will have an expiration date) there shouldn't be a cycle. If there is, the LR should be able to process your ammonia within short order.

2. I wouldn't do it. I highly doubt the two species would fight however they would be cramped in such a small area of sand. Dunno how much territory gobies take up in the ocean but I'm willing to bet it's great than a couple square feet.

:)

1. As long as the sand is not expired (yes the bag will have an expiration date) there shouldn't be a cycle. If there is, the LR should be able to process your ammonia within short order.

2. I wouldn't do it. I highly doubt the two species would fight however they would be cramped in such a small area of sand. Dunno how much territory gobies take up in the ocean but I'm willing to bet it's great than a couple square feet.

:)

Okay, noted on both accounts. Thank you, Pinner, for chiming in. My Diamond Goby certainly is territorial - he stands up to my falco hawkfish if the hawkfish swims/perches too close to him. And my Diamond is constantly on the move - he never lingers in one spot. So yes, I guess he'll most likely run into the watchman one day, and it might not end well.

As for the sand, in that case - is it safer if I cycle it separately in a different tank first, and then add it to my nano once the cycle is done? This is just to avoid any ammonia spikes - I'm worried even small ones might affect my more sensitive livestock.

If you are that concerned you could put the in a bucket of SW for a few hrs then test the water. Any Ammonia/Nitrites present would be testable almost instantly. But yes you could cycle it this way as well. just a powerhead a heater (optional) and a handful of your current sand for good measure.

If you are that concerned you could put the in a bucket of SW for a few hrs then test the water. Any Ammonia/Nitrites present would be testable almost instantly. But yes you could cycle it this way as well. just a powerhead a heater (optional) and a handful of your current sand for good measure.

Okay, noted as well. Many thanks for the answers.

Archived