Pod Your Reef

Peppermint Hogfish Problem!

BBP

Alright so I have a 120 gallon tank. I have a Sailfin tang, Hippo tang, couple of clowns, engineer goby, Christmas wrasse, 1 Banggai Cardinal and a Peppermint hog. The peppermint hog came after the tangs, clowns, and engineer goby. The Christmas wrasse came after but there was no issue. Then I tried adding a school of Cardinal fish, for a total of 9. I know they can have aggression towards each other but I watched them closely. They schooled very well, but the physically watched the peppermint hog picked off 1 by 1 until there was only one left. Occasionally the Banggai that survived will be missing a couple fins, but grows back after a couple of days. Then I recently tried a royal gramma and chalk bass. I added them at the same time, and now of course the Peppermint hog will go after them. They are now in hiding and I don't know how long they will last.

I like the peppermint but damn, it is so aggressive. I thought this was suppose to be a peaceful fish. I have a 29 gallon that has been running for around 5 years, but I feel like that would be torture for this guy. Do you think moving him and waiting a couple months then bringing him back to the 120 will stop his aggression to the newer fish I added? I honestly don't know what to do. I don't really want to get rid of him, he has a personality, but dang he is a dick. Any suggestions?

(I know the tank is too small for the tangs and they will have to be moved, my parents bought the fish while I was up at school and didn't do their research on them, they are both very happy and healthy right now)

Archived