ReefCleaners.org

The Endangered Species Act and how it affects reef keeping

seabass

... import laws on wildlife would be more likely than some vast use of the similar appearance section of the ESA...

I hope you're right. Regulating imports of wild specimens would be as effective, easier to enforce, and [with an exemption in the ESA for coral within the US, it] wouldn't affect possession or trade of aquacultured species. A win win. But this isn't currently in the works.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I do not think the ESA would purposefully use the rule in a way it has never been used, I do not see how the use of similar appearance wouldn't come into play with some of those acropora species (should they one day be listed as endangered), since some scientists even have a hard time distinguishing them. I think seabass is actually trying to be objective here, but we are on a reef keeping site after all lol.

There aren't any you should worry about. But in seabass's vast ocean of hypotheticals, import laws on wildlife would be more likely than some vast use of the similar appearance section of the ESA in a way its never been used before to destroy hobbyist reef keeping lol

reefbuilders just posted a story saying they are now considering the 4(d) ruling, making it illegal to sell, transport, own, etc any coral on the list.

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/01/14/national-marine-fisheries-service-requests-comments-public-ascertain-potential-4d-ruling-threatened-corals/

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/01/14/national-marine-fisheries-service-requests-comments-public-ascertain-potential-4d-ruling-threatened-corals/

I figured rather than start a new thread for this I'd post it here as it is somewhat apropo:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/01/151015/coral-reef-death-climate-change-science-animals/

Interesting article, but the video clip on re-"planting" corals was the best part...

Chris Langdon's lab experiment was interesting. They tried to induce bleaching in corals by increasing the temperature up to 30 to 31°C (86 to 87.8°F) for two months, but that didn't cause bleaching. It just shows us that we do not fully understand why mass die offs seem to be occurring.

Chris Langdon's lab experiment was interesting. They tried to induce bleaching in corals by increasing the temperature up to 30 to 31°C for two months, but that didn't cause bleaching. It just shows us that we do not fully understand why mass die offs seem to be occurring.

Its the cows maaaaan.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/353869-the-secret-to-sustainability/

But seriously...it really is.

Rights are not conferred by power. They are done by deliberation and consensus. If we followed your fuzzy logic, the civil rights acts of the 1960s should not have been approved because it didn't appear to benefit those with more political power.

Regulation is not pointless. If you're regulated, it does not mean you're a criminal. Or, maybe you should start driving around without car insurance or a license. The fact that you even insinuate criminality shows an anti-government bias.

If we are to say humans are better than all other animals, we better start acting like that. Also, save the lecture about entropy, unless you can give me the actual formula for it. Humans and other living animals are actually islands of low entropy because our molecules are so highly and precisely ordered.

I assure you that rights are indeed confered by power. Privliges are granted, rights are taken. My logic is not fuzzy.

Regulation of captive grown specimens is pointless, not regulation of collection or regulation in general. Try to stay within the context of a statement when attempting rebuttal.

Humans are no better than any other animal. Such notions are the product of religion and other fairy tails.

Regarding entropy you can google it if you like. Entropy is an eventuality whether you believe so or otherwise. I wasn't lecturing you, just pointing out the obvious.

Humans are no better than any other animal. Such notions are the product of religion and other fairy tails.

depends on your definition of "better"..

better at what? tennis? breathing under water?

HecticDialectics

Regulation of captive grown specimens is pointless, not regulation of collection or regulation in general. Try to stay within the context of a statement when attempting rebuttal.

You can't tell the difference between a wild and captive grown specimen. What are you going to show an agent trying to determine if you're breaking the law? Your printed out certificate? Lmfao

I assure you that rights are indeed confered by power. Privliges are granted, rights are taken. My logic is not fuzzy.

Regarding entropy you can google it if you like. Entropy is an eventuality whether you believe so or otherwise. I wasn't lecturing you, just pointing out the obvious.

Rights are not taken, they are made.

If you can prove from a photograph a specimen is captive grown or wild-collected, then you have nothing to worry about. In my experience with the hobby, people can barely get zoanthid color morphs right, and even then it's based on hearsay ("I got it from X, who got it from Y, who got it from Steve Tyree himself...").

If humans are no better, then why are you living in a home constructed largely of "manmade" materials, writing on a phone or computer or tablet made by humans and their machines, thinking the words I'm writing that you've read through your eyes, etc. Those are all things that even a chimpanzee has not done.

I took 2 college courses on physics, 3 on physical chemistry, so I know more than enough about entropy, thank you very much.

You can't tell the difference between a wild and captive grown specimen. What are you going to show an agent trying to determine if you're breaking the law?

Yeah, you can't differentiate between wild and captive grown coral. That's why you couldn't just rely on exceptions for cultured specimens.

Again, that's the beauty of regulating imports of wild specimens (as customs could check the paperwork when it arrives). If it's not coming from a verified aquaculture or mariculture company, the shipment would be in violation. [With an exemption in the ESA for protections of coral within the US] This would still allow ownership and interstate commerce, while protecting the reefs just as good as listing all coral under the ESA would.

In the future, NOAA would likely still list reef building coral as endangered (for other reasons), but at least then it wouldn't be necessary to police corals that are already within the US. This would also: deal with what to do with all those endangered specimens that people already own, protect the various aquatic industries, and allow agents to focus on illegal wild collection (which they would have had to do anyway).

It might seem counter-intuitive, but nothing would protect reef keeping more than the restricting imports of wild collected coral (as long as they allow exceptions in the ESA for coral within the US). In theory, you could ban all coral imports (which would limit trade to US cultured coral). I wonder if contacting the senators from my state would help (as it would protect the environment and jobs), or if PIJAC would want to get on board.

I believe this is of relevance:

First 2015 Hawaii Aquarium Bill Introduced

Selling of aquatic life for aquarium purposes prohibited; penalties; fines. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person at any time to knowingly or intentionally sell or offer to sell, for aquarium purposes, aquatic life taken from any of the waters within the jurisdiction of the State.

Yo, seabass, what can we DO about it?

"If you’re a hobbyist reading this now—head on over and write something up regarding the twenty corals. If you’re a professional aquarist—head on over and write something regarding the twenty corals. If you’re a wholesaler, importer, distribution or a consumer packaged goods company who profits on the industry—head on over and write something regarding the twenty corals. All of you will be glad you did several years from now." - http://reefbuilders.com/2015/01/23/saltwater-aquatics-industry-major-jeopardy/

Edit: General comments might show that people care, or are concerned, but they don't support why a species should or shouldn't be listed (which is primarily what they are evaluating).

This thread is only a week old and a lot has happened during this time which directly threatens our hobby. You can be skeptical if you wish; but once it's in place it will be even more difficult to reverse, it will set a precedent of more things to come, and it might just be too late to do anything about it.

Archived