Cultivated Reef

Has this acropora had enough?

reeferx2

Noticed this situation with my Acropora with the lights off last night where it's fading to white on the bottom side..basically the areas that don't get direct lighting. I had thought that the reflection of light from the sand would have been sufficient. Should I frag what still appears to be healthy and move it to another location? Or is it a total loss??

I haven't been dosing my tank for about 2 weeks now and relying solely on water changes for nutrition. I'm battling a Hydroid and green algae bloom which is the reason for cutting my dosing off. My hunch is the cutting off of dosing accompanied by indirect lighting has resulted in its current state.

thoughts??

my water quality is always pristine:

0 across the board for am, ni, na, and phos.

ph: 8.0-8.2

spec G: .025/6

ca: 400-420 - since no longer dosing, used to be closer to 500

alk: 9-10dkh

post-86246-0-13978500-1420831515_thumb.jpg

post-86246-0-97609900-1420831530_thumb.jpg

post-86246-0-07526100-1420831533_thumb.jpg

post-86246-0-08172200-1420831534_thumb.jpg

Hard to say. I had a monti that I thought was as good as dead but thought I saw a few bleached polyps so dropped it in the back of my tank on the sandbed. Its actually coming back. If there is any PE I would think you would still have a shot at bringing it back?

What's PE??

..and just for ararguments sake, all 8 of my other corals are doing swell.

Hopefully it's still alive by Sunday and I'll relocate it to direct lighting during my W/C. Just really liked its placement :/

CronicReefer

What's PE??

..and just for ararguments sake, all 8 of my other corals are doing swell.

Hopefully it's still alive by Sunday and I'll relocate it to direct lighting during my W/C. Just really liked its placement :/

PE = Polyp Extension. It's definitely far from gone but its not looking to good. You also should continue dosing as long as what you are dosing does not contain any fatty acids/carbs/lipids/vitamins etc. then you are not adding any nutrients to the water, just elements. Why not move it under direct lighting now to give it a better chance?

PE = Polyp Extension. It's definitely far from gone but its not looking to good. You also should continue dosing as long as what you are dosing does not contain any fatty acids/carbs/lipids/vitamins etc. then you are not adding any nutrients to the water, just elements. Why not move it under direct lighting now to give it a better chance?

Now I'm screwed and running late to work. I dose with Kent AB, a few weeks after I began doing so is when these hydhydroids and green algae showed up. So I'm assuming that's my cause and effect but I could be wrong, I'm new at this.

I've read that I should have a green algae bloom in the first few months of my tank being up, but I'd like to keep it minimal. These god damn hydroids are taking over my ship as well.

Funny thing is, I used to have a good amount of copepods on my glass, but like elvis, they've left the building.

Gave the acro a dip and placed it in a new location only about 4 inches deep in the tank. She looks almost totally white now, I guess we'll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived