Innovative Marine Aquariums

Please HELP! brown jelly disease

That dank Reefer

That dank Reefer

I'm having some trouble with my hammer coral. It has been very healthy, except now I have a lot of receding tissue. Some tissue died incredibly fast, under 24 hours and had some weird growth on it. I lightly removed the dead/rotted tissue with my feeding syringe, it came off much easier than I expected. My parameters are all good, everything looks healthy. regular water changes, tank is around 4 months. So I'm not sure what I have going on, or what to do. any recommendations would be appreciated.

First picture was taken under 2 days ago.The second was today when i noticed the dead piece. Third is after I removed the "growth".post-45907-0-52547500-1420774728_thumb.jpg

post-45907-0-80537500-1420774287_thumb.jpg

post-45907-0-10892300-1420774774_thumb.jpg

I had this randomly happen to a duncan at one point as well. I ended up fragging the duncan to remove the head with the jelly on it and dipping it in Coral RX. Now it has been almost a year since that happened and my Duncan has more than doubled in size. If fragging is not an option I would consider removing the coral and dipping it in Coral RX or what ever other dip you prefer.

Cut off bad areas and dip it just to be careful. If it's new, just cut off the good areas and throw the others away.

Beautiful hammer btw.

That dank Reefer

Thank you Pat, it's one of my favorite pieces definitely don't want to lose it, and yes it is a wall hammer, not the branching kind. I dipped it last night, it looks better this morning doesn't seem to be any more dead tissue... Yet. My next step is to frag off the sick area, we'll see how it looks today.

If it is brown jelly that is affecting it I wonder if a probiotic like sanolife mic F could help. You can buy it at Seahorse Source. My guess is brown jelly is fungal in nature which is why I thought a probiotic might help.

reefernanoman

My wall hammer died also that way. Now I have a beautiful branching hammer coral with no issues, and I'm not looking back.

The problem with wall hammers is that when they do get a disease like this, it is rather hard to frag them in a way that is not harmful to the animal. It would take a very steady hand and a good band saw to pull this off. I would exhaust every other option before fragging. Just my opinion!

That dank Reefer

Yea I was wondering about fragging since it doesn't have traditional heads like a branching coral. I removed all the dying tissue and gave it two iodine dips. Honestly it looks great it just has a small dead piece on it. My questions is, is there any point in fragging the dead spot off, I feel like that will aggravate it more. By the way, does everyone agree that it's Brown jelly?

It's wall hammer disease -_- which is pretty much the same as brown jelly; only less contagious. Really, this is how every wall hammer I've ever dealt with seems to die. Fragging ahead of the necrosis rarely worked in these cases. I eventually got the LFS owner to stop bringing them in altogether. few moths later she was all "we'll just try it one more time" same result. :unsure:

I've often wondered why this particular euphyllia is so much more touchy than the others. Water chemistry, feeding habits, tank inhabitants, placement; I'd considered everything yet they would all eventually just start dying at one end then melt along the entire colony.They're like torches, all happy go lucky one day, shriveled the next, dead the following. And all for no apparent reason.

Does anyone know a tank that has had a wall hammer for more than a year?

Archived