Pod Your Reef

Live rock arrived partially frozen

M&C

My live rock order arrived partially frozen due to bad weather here in Chicago (it was delayed by a day). I ordered uncured rock from gulf live rock because I was hoping to get some cool hitchhikers for my new build. Any chance something besides bacteria survives? I have the rocks cycling in a bucket at the moment and the water is already cloudy after only a few hours. :(

Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

Looks like they gave you...the cold boulder..lol im terrible but on a serious note i wouldnt count it entirely out. Broke down my old 20G long because it had a pistol in the rockwork, Left the rock out for 3 days in the sun before my brother threw the tank back together for him to use, Click! click! click!. Little bastard not only survived being out in the sun for 3 days but also survived the tanks cycle...AGAIN. hes still effing in there too. Rock was porous as hell though so i imagine he was deep in there where there was still a bit of water. So yeah its possible tough hitchhiker or too survived.though unlikely

Dude pistol shrimp are awesome, I'd like to capture one some day. I'd say keep the rock and see, as cheif reef said with porus rocks things survive, even if you don't want it, also it was only part frozen, you are fortunate there. Watch out with the nitrate and ammonia spike.

I had a collected algae and creatures suffer near freezing, most died but several survived.

Dude pistol shrimp are awesome, I'd like to capture one some day. I'd say keep the rock and see, as cheif reef said with porus rocks things survive, even if you don't want it, also it was only part frozen, you are fortunate there. Watch out with the nitrate and ammonia spike.

I had a collected algae and creatures suffer near freezing, most died but several survived.

Nah its not awesome, It's one of the non Symbiotic Local florida ones and its a D*ck. Eaten two Large springer's Dottybacks we've tried putting in the tank

My live rock order arrived partially frozen due to bad weather here in Chicago (it was delayed by a day). I ordered uncured rock from gulf live rock because I was hoping to get some cool hitchhikers for my new build. Any chance something besides bacteria survives? I have the rocks cycling in a bucket at the moment and the water is already cloudy after only a few hours. :(

Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

Wow, sounds pretty harsh. There is going to likely be a lot more die-off and quite a few things won't make it. However, many of these organisms are pretty hardy, as already stated above, so the likelihood that it is completely devoid is probably slim. That being said, we don't experience freezes terribly often where I live--except for recently--so I don't really have any first-hand experience with frozen rock. I actually had mine flown in to minimize temperature issues, as I knew in advance temps would be dropping.

Wow, sounds pretty harsh. There is going to likely be a lot more die-off and quite a few things won't make it. However, many of these organisms are pretty hardy, as already stated above, so the likelihood that it is completely devoid is probably slim. That being said, we don't experience freezes terribly often where I live--except for recently--so I don't really have any first-hand experience with frozen rock. I actually had mine flown in to minimize temperature issues, as I knew in advance temps would be dropping.

Yeah I should have really planned it better. I just didn't connect the dots when I saw that bad weather was coming in. Lesson learned!

Archived