SaltCritters.com

Aussie Highlighter Acropora Polyp Extension questions

CronicReefer

CronicReefer

So I bought my second acropora about two weeks ago and I have yet to see any polyp extension from the frag compared to what I see in pictures from other peoples tanks and coral retailers. My deep water acropora shows great polyp extension throughout the night and has been since the first night in my tank. However, the aussie highlighter acro color has become more vibrant compared to when I bought it and I am seeing new nubs forming on the base of the frag so it is growing well and at a comparable rate to the deep water acro. In the picture you can just barely see the polyps but this is as far as they extend.

Current Dosing:

Fuel - 1mL per day

Phytoplankton - 2.5mL every 3 days

Kent Liquid Calcium - 1.5mL per day

Sodium Carbonate - ~1gram per day

Kent Essential Elements - 1mL after water change

Daily feeding of "LRS" Reef Frenzy for clownfish pair and lobster (sometimes I skip a day and feed pellets to clownfish and do not feed lobster if I notice any oil on the surface of the water)

Water Parameters:

Alkalinity - 9.0 (API)

Calcium - 425 (Salifert)

Magnesium - 1400 (Salifert)

Phosphates - 0 (Tested by LFS)

Nitrates <10 (API till I run out of what I have so I don't always believe accuracy)

My questions are when should I start being concerned about poor polyp extension? If I am seeing growth or should I not even be worried? Is there anything I can do to increase polyp extension (I like the look better)?

259esdu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm,that's weird. Have you saw any PE during the night or no ? If it's growing,I wouldn't really be worried. There are some species that don't really show PE. I know Hawkins don't really show any,and I've only seen mine do it at night. During the day there's absolutely nothing and it's so weird.

Hmm,that's weird. Have you saw any PE during the night or no ? If it's growing,I wouldn't really be worried. There are some species that don't really show PE. I know Hawkins don't really show any,and I've only seen mine do it at night. During the day there's absolutely nothing and it's so weird.

Well my "deepwater" acropora only has polyp extension at night but it's easy to see. This one however just pokes the very tip of the polyp out and it won't go any further (day or night). It's just annoying me because I've seen similar pieces with very nice polyps and I just like the contrasting appearance. I just wanted to be sure it wouldn't cause problems for the acroporas health down the road. It's growing well though and maintains very vibrant color.

Polyp extension isn't a sign of good or poor health. So I wouldn't worry if it doesn't have any PE. I would only start to worry is the tissue starts to strip off. Growth is a good sign that it is happy, so don't worry :)

Well a little is better than absolutely none. If it's color is good or steadily improving,growth is apparent and you have the least bit of PE and no RTN or STN,I wouldn't worry.

I know you're a CF local,where did you get it ? It looks like a Living Reef piece lol.

Well a little is better than absolutely none. If it's color is good or steadily improving,growth is apparent and you have the least bit of PE and no RTN or STN,I wouldn't worry.

I know you're a CF local,where did you get it ? It looks like a Living Reef piece lol.

It's from Top Shelf Aquatics (only $29) which if you ever have the chance to go I would go soon as they have some colonies for sale right now all under $200 (I was getting water there yesterday). I can definitely say I have never had any RTN or STN, so I'm happy with that since I see so many stories where people buy acroporas only to have them melt away the next day. I guess PE isn't too much of a factor, hopefully they will get bigger as the acro grows.

I just got my Hawkins piece from them like 2 weeks ago for $8.50 :D I'm still upset Travis (the SPS guy) quit. He gave me stupid good deals. I've been blowing all my money at Living Reef,I'm going out there this weekend to scoop up a ass load of sps. Or at least have them hold them for me until my 7g is up. My 2g is CRAMMED with Acro's and Zoa's ;). I do need to stop by TS though and get another piece of Red Planet though.

I just got my Hawkins piece from them like 2 weeks ago for $8.50 :D I'm still upset Travis (the SPS guy) quit. He gave me stupid good deals. I've been blowing all my money at Living Reef,I'm going out there this weekend to scoop up a ass load of sps. Or at least have them hold them for me until my 7g is up. My 2g is CRAMMED with Acro's and Zoa's ;). I do need to stop by TS though and get another piece of Red Planet though.

I really enjoy TS because every time I go they give me some % off the listed price. WWC is really the only other store I go to since they have some amazing chalices and brain corals, or if you are looking for a really large piece/colony they have good prices imo. I'm probably going to grab a riddler chalice if I can find a spot to put it in my tank (I hate rearranging rocks because it always causes my nitrates to shoot through the roof).

Archived