SaltCritters.com

BRS 2 part or B-Ionic w/ Auto doser

cheezefrog

I've had my 29g w/ custom sump up for about 3 years now. I have been using Seachem 12-18oz bottles for Cal and Alk, and Kent for Magnesium. Trying to save a little money now, especially since I'm starting up a frag tank. My tanks really soaking up Alk as of late. Cal never moves, and Magnesium drops incredibly slowly, also doing weekly 5g water changes of reef crystals.

Its time to automate more, planning on going with a doser, but I was looking to hear some opinions on BRS vs B-Ionic. From what I've read and researched and correct me if I'm wrong:

B-Ionic - More value for the money - More concentrated than BRS - Does contain more unknown trace elements that could be harmful - Manufacture does not list the chemicals in their two-part.

BRS - A little cheaper, but not as concentrated so you're using more, manufacture displays whats in their supplements - Stuff seems to solidify if its sitting there for a while - Some have complained it will gunk up pumps and other equipment - Since 2 part has to be mixed wouldn't dosing levels sometimes vary?

Brightwell dry product - ????

Other options for saving a dollar but not compromising quality????

BRS - A little cheaper, but not as concentrated so you're using more, manufacture displays whats in their supplements - Stuff seems to solidify if its sitting there for a while - Some have complained it will gunk up pumps and other equipment - Since 2 part has to be mixed wouldn't dosing levels sometimes vary?

I've used BRS for almost a year and it's never solidified while "sitting there." I haven't had any issues with it gunking up equipment either, but I believe that's a result of adding calc and alk too close together and they subsequently precipitate. Although you do mix it, I haven't had varying dosing levels. I followed the instructions for mixing it and then used their calculator and my results have always been spot on.

I've never used the other products but I know ESV has a great following. I doubt you could go wrong with either.

Archived