Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

zoas & buttons help

CoLoRfUlL_cOrAlS

CoLoRfUlL_cOrAlS

(im new here)

hey I have these two frags, one is a zoanthid the other is a button polyp. I don't know whats wrong with them, they don't really like to come out, can any of you guys help?

have a bunch of other stuff in my tank including another button polup that are all doing fine.

I tried to post pics but It says that the file is too big.

lol sorry

Params is short for Water Parameters

photobucket is a picture hosting site you can use to upload pictures.

photobucket.com

CoLoRfUlL_cOrAlS

I signed upand uploaded some pictures now what?

also I don't know what my water paramiters are.

im still fairly new to the reefing hobby.

First off sorry it's late but :welcome: Nano-reef.com. We're here to help ya out.

Pull up the pic you want to show here. On the side or under the pic there will "share links" Copy the "IMG" share link and paste it into your post.

Might consider running a water sample to your nearest LFS and getting it tested.

In the reefkeeping hobby we have to watch a great number of water parameters to ensure the tank is healthy. Here is a great link explaining all of them.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Test kits are available for all of these parameters so check into buying some.

Hang out and read through all the beginners forum threads. RESEARCH IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS IN THIS HOBBY.

Sorry to yell that, but it will save you time effort energy and more importantly money.

CoLoRfUlL_cOrAlS

ohh so that's peramiters, this all makes more sense now.

when you get a water check at a local reef store do they test the peramiters?

CoLoRfUlL_cOrAlS

I tried but it wont paste

also my peramiters have always been very good.

last check was like 3 days ago

I get one every week

Just right click in the typing field and hit the paste button. It should jump right in there.

For I-mac apparently double tap the mouse field with two fingers.

yep, just a tic.

Tank looks pretty nice!

What we're dealing with...

http://s725.photobucket.com/user/CoLoRfUlL_CoRaLs/media/IMG_5215_zpsc35e48f6.jpg.html'>IMG_5215_zpsc35e48f6.jpg

http://s725.photobucket.com/user/CoLoRfUlL_CoRaLs/media/IMG_5216_zps2b2d1d3d.jpg.html'>IMG_5216_zps2b2d1d3d.jpg

So the second colony is what imma refer to here. The way those ones are closed up is very consistent with reactions to Zoanthid Eating Nudibranchs. I'll post a picture of them below. They come out at night and their feathers take on the same color as the corals they are eating.

dc_nudibranch.jpg

Have you attempted doing any dips on the coral (freshwater, iodine, coral dip soultion)? That would be the first step to getting rid of unwanted pests.

Without exact water parameters to help us out we're gonna be taking shots in the dark so to speak.

Well they aren't happy if that's what your saying... LOL I have worse in my tank right now. I'll post up a pic if it'll make you feel any better. ;)

But yeah check real close and see if you see any lil goobers cruisin around.

How long have they been like this?

CoLoRfUlL_cOrAlS

I don't know

I think I should go buy some iodine to kill any unwanted guests off

thanks for the help

hey do you know by any chance how long it takes a zoa or button polyp to grow a new head?

Well having Iodine around is a good Idea so definitely get some. Till then, wait for lights out and inspect the corals for anything that may be the irritant using a flashlight.

Zoas/buttons/palys go at very different rates. Some (usually the super awesome/expensive ones) won't get but one new head per year. The more common ones will double or even triple in numbers in that amount of time. :rolleyes: Also coral growth tends to exponential as they expand and have more surface area to grow from.

Here is my favia that is being eaten by little starfish... I think. So don't worry it happens to the best of us.

http://s75.photobucket.com/user/g12052/media/40%20B/20141230_134220_zpsbsits59n.jpg.html'>20141230_134220_zpsbsits59n.jpg

The collective pool of knowledge in this forum astounds me constantly. Hang out, read around, and if ever you are ever having problems run a search. If you can't find a solution to your problem start a new thread. Like I said at the beginning It'll help tons to know exact water parameters and have accompanying pictures to help diagnose anything going wrong.

Let Us know how things go with the zoas. B)

Archived