Coral Vue Hydros

switching out live rock

aquajunkie

Hey guys first post. I've been searching these forums for months and have found tons of great information. I couldn't find answer to this specific question and wanted opinions.

I have noticed unwanted hitchhikers on some of my live rock (wish I had started with all dead rock) and I don't want the hassle of fighting with them.

I want to switch out my effected live rock and replace it with dead rock. I plan to set up an old 10g tank to hold the dead rock until it is covered by beneficial bacteria and then replace my live rock with the new rock. Will this plan work? or will I still have massive fluctuations in water parameters.

My tank is a 20g long with 2 clowns and a candy coral frag. I am running an AC with an aquatic life 115. I have purigen and phosguard inside of an intank media basket. Weekly 4-5 gallon water changes.

I see a massive problem, but it is not with the dead rock.

Yes you can definitely cycle them separately and build up bacterial populations before adding in as cured live rock, which you can toss right in.

The issue is that even if you are taking out the 'affected' rock, you may not be taking out all those unwanted hitchhikers. They could be all over the tank and in the sand.

But yeah, massive fluctuations is not what you have to worry about. Assuming you cycle the dead rock properly.

Thanks for the quick replies. I believe the hitchhikers are colonial hydriods. Any ideas as to how to rid a tank of them? I noticed them only on one live rock and have removed the rock from my tank.

Thanks for the quick replies. I believe the hitchhikers are colonial hydriods. Any ideas as to how to rid a tank of them? I noticed them only on one live rock and have removed the rock from my tank.

In that case that may have done it. But watch the other rocks and the glass for a while, see if they managed to spread.

Archived