inTank Media Baskets

Tang in a 30g Long Tank....

APLATN13

So I have been reading mix reviews and etc. I have read they need 200+ gallon tanks, 55 gallon tanks, prefer long tanks instead of cube tanks, and so on...

I was thinking something along like a black (preferred) or yellow tang for my 30L. I have read that they stress out pretty easy and get HLLE and so on...

I just want to get the correct info about tangs. So I can properly take care of them.

Thanks

Anthony

You're going to do more harm to your tank than good. If you put a tang in that, you'll end up with ich....and a giant headache. they're pretty, but they have tank size requirements for a reason...

I have one in my 40b and I'll have to get rid of it at some point.. I don't think I'd ever put one in any smaller tank than that.

^^^ Same here. I have a yellow tang that's probably about 3" in my 40Breeder. im looking to donate him to some one with a larger tank.

i mean he's healthy and eats like a pig and all, but he really deserves to be in a bigger place.

I had a tomini in my 29 gal. Did really well until my my RO/DI unit went on the fritz and I had a huge algae/bacteria bloom that killed it and some other fish. I would recommend going with the bristletooth tangs because they stay smaller. Still would upgrade at some point to something bigger once they get larger. Don't let the tang police bring you down. Just remember that putting a big fish in a small tank makes the tank look very small.

35 x 12 footprint is pretty small if you consider a zebrasoma can reach 6 - 8" in a home aquarium.

If you're set on doing it, a bristletooth is the only one you should consider. They are significantly less open space fish than zebrasomas which would include your black and yellows. Realistically, I think you'd have a difficult to impossible time not grossly stunting any tang in a 30 gallon tank without frequent water changes. Wouldn't surprise me for them to stop growing at 2 1/2 - 3".

Archived