Pod Your Reef

Conundrum Tank - It's a boy! (or maybe girl, or it!)

Fnard

Sand? Check

Powerheads? Check

Still no tank though. Got in touch with MD and they in turn contacted CadLights. They finally were shipping it Tuesday, only 12 days after ordering :rolleyes: . Looks like it'll be delivered Wednesday. Would've liked to get it going over the holiday, but apparently its on the slow boat. Time to order some flex pvc and figure out the fittings I need to hard plumb.

Man, this time is just drrrraaaaggggginngggg. Guess wait is almost over. Anyways, been giving this some thought. Should I swap out the Maxspect reflectors with the 120° pucks? I have the 27" version and the tank is 36". Not really worried about coverage, but with the tank being only 12" deep, maybe the reflectors would be a good option. Whacha think?

Well, got a call from FedEx. Wanted to schedule a drop off time on Thurs. What happened to Wed? And of course today was out of the question, sooooo, scheduled for Fri since I'll be off. Anyways, made a couple more purchases for the tank today. Went with the SCA-301 skimmer. Read a lot of reviews about it the past few years (was considering it for my 37 and 29) and looks like you can't beat the price v performance. Also got some shower pan liner. Plan on lining the stand with it. Hardwood + H2O = no goodness. Think I'm just about done with everything needed minus the plumbing needed. Waiting for it to get here so I can measure everything. Now just to figure out how to level this thing. I'm already aware that the place this tank will be going isnt the most level, what house is?, so that'll hopefully be the only obstacle to tackle.

New tanks are always fun. All I can say is very cautious with there bulkheads and have fun :)

E63A112A.jpg

Well that cocked that up, what the hell happened there? Really hope after all the waiting Fnard's doesn't look like this.

• Like 1

Pictures! Pictures!

Here it is in its final (hopefully) resting spot

IMG_20150123_155634.jpg

A lil sump action, and a couple interested parties to boot

IMG_20150123_155835.jpg

Ok, so thats the good. Do I want to go into the bad? Meh, not really, but here's some of my concerns/displeasure with the tank. Well, not the tank, its pretty beast, but the stand, it's pretty much a piece of ikea horse manure. After unwrapping everything (which the packing had me baffled, stand w/ sump in it on top of the DT?!?) I began inspecting. The front doors have its fair share of skuffs and marks on them. The edges are a bit roughed up as well. When I opened it up, inside the sump I found 2 of the locking nuts, if thats the proper name. Anyways, so I had to reinstall them and tighten everything else up then mess with the hinges for about 45 mins to try and get the doors properly aligned. Not sure who put this thing together, but he needs a new job. Kinda makes me wonder why even ship it assembled? Seems like it would be a better idea to ship it flat and let the owner take care of it. Maybe its just me.

On to the sump. Nothing major, but when I tried removing the styrofoam from the bottom, it was pretty well attached to the tank. Seems like they glued the tank up and slapped the styro on and called it a day. Only problem is the silicone seeped out onto the styro. Nothing like gnurls of styrofoam on the bottom of the tank. Guess when I cut out the extra separators in the sump I'll trim down the excess silicone and get rid of it all.

Last gripe, man this is getting long, is about the fuge light. Not exactly what I was expecting. Thats pretty much all I can say. From everything I had seen/read, I was under the impression it was a CadLights fixture, but my just came with what seems to be a cheap chinese fixture readily available from ebay. Oh well, hope it grows macros.

IMG_20150123_155853.jpg

Overall, I've got to say that it is a nice tank and system, especially for the price, but I can't help but think I could've gotten something better.... possibly. Who knows though? Maybe I'm over thinking it and and expected too much. Besides, it's not the tank that makes the tank, its whats inside, and that is something that has yet to come.

Holy crap, was in the middle of typing my last post earlier and then had family stop by and just finished. Now that I've refreshed I see such wonderful pictures :unsure: Know that their plumbing wasn't the best, but yikes, that would drive me to drink.............. more. Already planned on hard plumbing and get bulkheads to fit, possibly flexseals, but if there was any indecision about goin that way, that certainly has dissipated now.

Those stands suck I paid extra for the piano white plywood one. They build the sumps then put them on styrofoam which makes them stick. I just turned mine on the side and rubbed on the styrofoam it came off. The fuge light for sure isn't lighting a fuge. Let me see a picture of that sump did they start making them smaller? I will be happy to help you in anyway but I am NOT a fan of Cadlights at all.

My sump looks a lot bigger and I ordered that same tank. I did throw the tank in the garbage and have a custom one made.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/4F9DB6A1-74A3-449A-B294-A94997713662.jpg.html'>4F9DB6A1-74A3-449A-B294-A94997713662.jpg

That fuge light has since been thrown in the garbage as well :)

Pictures! Pictures!

Here it is in its final (hopefully) resting spot

IMG_20150123_155634.jpg

A lil sump action, and a couple interested parties to boot

IMG_20150123_155835.jpg

Ok, so thats the good. Do I want to go into the bad? Meh, not really, but here's some of my concerns/displeasure with the tank. Well, not the tank, its pretty beast, but the stand, it's pretty much a piece of ikea horse manure. After unwrapping everything (which the packing had me baffled, stand w/ sump in it on top of the DT?!?) I began inspecting. The front doors have its fair share of skuffs and marks on them. The edges are a bit roughed up as well. When I opened it up, inside the sump I found 2 of the locking nuts, if thats the proper name. Anyways, so I had to reinstall them and tighten everything else up then mess with the hinges for about 45 mins to try and get the doors properly aligned. Not sure who put this thing together, but he needs a new job. Kinda makes me wonder why even ship it assembled? Seems like it would be a better idea to ship it flat and let the owner take care of it. Maybe its just me.

On to the sump. Nothing major, but when I tried removing the styrofoam from the bottom, it was pretty well attached to the tank. Seems like they glued the tank up and slapped the styro on and called it a day. Only problem is the silicone seeped out onto the styro. Nothing like gnurls of styrofoam on the bottom of the tank. Guess when I cut out the extra separators in the sump I'll trim down the excess silicone and get rid of it all.

Last gripe, man this is getting long, is about the fuge light. Not exactly what I was expecting. Thats pretty much all I can say. From everything I had seen/read, I was under the impression it was a CadLights fixture, but my just came with what seems to be a cheap chinese fixture readily available from ebay. Oh well, hope it grows macros.

IMG_20150123_155853.jpg

Overall, I've got to say that it is a nice tank and system, especially for the price, but I can't help but think I could've gotten something better.... possibly. Who knows though? Maybe I'm over thinking it and and expected too much. Besides, it's not the tank that makes the tank, its whats inside, and that is something that has yet to come.

Holy crap, was in the middle of typing my last post earlier and then had family stop by and just finished. Now that I've refreshed I see such wonderful pictures :unsure: Know that their plumbing wasn't the best, but yikes, that would drive me to drink.............. more. Already planned on hard plumbing and get bulkheads to fit, possibly flexseals, but if there was any indecision about goin that way, that certainly has dissipated now.

Well they don't make bulkheads to fit there holes :lol: they are metric size so you have to use them. Many have used them over the years and not had a leak. I will quit complaining about Cad now and follow along on your happy day :flower:
  • Like 1

Well they don't make bulkheads to fit there holes :lol: they are metric size so you have to use them. Many have used them over the years and not had a leak. I will quit complaining about Cad now and follow along on your happy day :flower:

Yeah, so I've seen. Know there was one thread I've read that they were able to use a standard size bh and just sanded down the threads some to fit. Seems like a logical fix. Now if I could find it again :rolleyes:

Congrats man...sorry to there were some hiccups but thats pretty standard with cadlights. Whats your stocking plans?

Thanks. Was hoping to be a "lucky" one, but it is what it is. Not sure of the stock yet, but prolly will be a run of the mill mixed reef. Gonna have to defer to the wife some though. It was purchased under the guise that was for her. Yeah, sure, ok. :lol: If it turns out half as nice as your tank I'll be doing good. I'll just wait for you to come on by and scape, stock, maintain.....

Those stands suck I paid extra for the piano white plywood one. They build the sumps then put them on styrofoam which makes them stick. I just turned mine on the side and rubbed on the styrofoam it came off. The fuge light for sure isn't lighting a fuge. Let me see a picture of that sump did they start making them smaller? I will be happy to help you in anyway but I am NOT a fan of Cadlights at all.

My sump looks a lot bigger and I ordered that same tank. I did throw the tank in the garbage and have a custom one made.

That fuge light has since been thrown in the garbage as well :)

Fuq, you're killin me here. I won't be defeated yet though. Not only a couple hours into it. The sump should be the same size, I'd hope. 30x15? I'll give it my best shot.

Just for shits and giggles I looked it up on MD to get specifics about it again, and this is what I found..

b733f393-a364-4763-890b-bf80935113de.png

Looks like I'm in possession of an ultra rare last run of special edition CadLights 45g tank!!! Who wants to buy it? Bids start at $3500.

Yes a 1 inch bulkhead with the threads sanded down will fit for the middle drain. You then use that 1 inch bulhead with a stand pipe and make it a Herbie. 1 inch Durso drains don't work they make a flush sound. The back up drain and return have to use there bulkheads because no standard bulkhead will work even with sanding threads. Your sump might be the same size just hard to see the left side it's dark. Wonder why they discontinued that tank?

:haha: WEZ HAZ WATER!!! :haha:

IMG_20150124_154924.jpg

Nah, just leak checking. :P Everything seems good so far. Been thinkin alot about the plumbing lately, and think I may just stick with the stock stuff. Not super ideal, but it gets the job done. So, if I do go that way, I just need to glue up the PVC and cut out the baffles and I should be good to go. Guess I really should pick up a 55g drum soon so I can get cracking on the RO/DI

• Like 1

Let there be light!

IMG_20150125_105514.jpgIMG_20150125_105533.jpg

Got the light hung. Looks to be pretty centered right now. Maybe a smidge to the right, but I can always move the tank a 1/2" and it'll be perfect. The spread seems to cover perfectly. Just hoping to get in touch with a member here who had borrowed my PAR meter so I can do some measurements.

• Like 1

Looking good get that baby plumbed.

Yeah, tell me about. I really want to get this going. Funny thing is as I progress there is SO much more I need/want to do before I get it fully running. Patience sucks, but want to get it right so I don't have to fumbling with it as its going.

A list of things still needed to get done:

• mount pc4s in stand
  • glue up plumbing
  • figure out if I want unions before gluing
  • going to be running a chiller, so need to figure out if I want a separate pump or upgrade current one and plumb from that
  • wait for my skimmer to arrive
  • figure out if I want to run my reactor, and if so, devise more plumbing
  • cut out baffles for bigger fuge
  • get ato reservoir

Did I miss anything? I'm sure I did. Or cable organization too. Thats a must. And think I may mount my RKL display in the door, which would require removing the door and cutting out the hole and inserting. Ok, now I'm starting to get depressed. Update coming February..... 2020

Yeah, tell me about. I really want to get this going. Funny thing is as I progress there is SO much more I need/want to do before I get it fully running. Patience sucks, but want to get it right so I don't have to fumbling with it as its going.

A list of things still needed to get done:

• mount pc4s in stand
  • glue up plumbing
  • figure out if I want unions before gluing
  • going to be running a chiller, so need to figure out if I want a separate pump or upgrade current one and plumb from that
  • wait for my skimmer to arrive
  • figure out if I want to run my reactor, and if so, devise more plumbing
  • cut out baffles for bigger fuge
  • get ato reservoir

Did I miss anything? I'm sure I did. Or cable organization too. Thats a must. And think I may mount my RKL display in the door, which would require removing the door and cutting out the hole and inserting. Ok, now I'm starting to get depressed. Update coming February..... 2020

Feruary 2020 :lol:
  • Fnard changed the title to Conundrum Tank - It's a boy! (or maybe girl, or it!)