ReefCleaners.org

how bout some gravy

amphipod

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have a link to someone actually doing this?

Better yet can anyone explain how gravy is a good food for filter feeders vs. a plankton food?

Seriously I initially thought this was a joke. It seems to me that putting gravy in an aquarium would add all sorts of oils, fats, sugars, and unwanted stuff into the tank...

Does anyone have a link to someone actually doing this?

Better yet can anyone explain how gravy is a good food for filter feeders vs. a plankton food?

Seriously I initially thought this was a joke. It seems to me that putting gravy in an aquarium would add all sorts of oils, fats, sugars, and unwanted stuff into the tank...

I just got the idea because I didn't want it to go to waste. Also everyone on nano reef should know I don't joke around with my questions. Most the time my questions are totaled serious. Couldn't the oils fats and sugars be nutritious to some inhabitants of the tank?
Mr. Microscope

This is hilarious. Though, might work in small quantities. However, I wouldn't put it in my tank. Would definitely spoil before you had a chance to use more than 5% of it.

Oils will make your skimmer go crazy. Sugar will probably induce a bacteria bloom (though, IMO, I have NEVER EVER heard of people using sugar as an ingredient in gravy). MSG, however, will make everything taste delicious.

I think most of us agree here that it's probably a bad bad idea....

Btw, I thought filter feeders feed on silica:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/aafeature1

And how "expired" is the chicken gravy? If it's like 10 months old, it should be fine. Expired chicken gravy will ferment => looks like the can will explode due to gas... or open the can and check if its okay. All those salt + preservatives should keep the gravy safe until the upcoming zombie apocalypse.

William halligan

Couldn't the oils fats and sugars be nutritious to some inhabitants of the tank?

No if a fish breaths in oil it will die, the gills can only process water not liquid fat

Oils will make your skimmer go crazy. Sugar will probably induce a bacteria bloom (though, IMO, I have NEVER EVER heard of people using sugar as an ingredient in gravy). MSG, however, will make everything taste delicious.

I think most of us agree here that it's probably a bad bad idea....

Btw, I thought filter feeders feed on silica:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/aafeature1

And how "expired" is the chicken gravy? If it's like 10 months old, it should be fine. Expired chicken gravy will ferment => looks like the can will explode due to gas... or open the can and check if its okay. All those salt + preservatives should keep the gravy safe until the upcoming zombie apocalypse.

Yeah I'm not sure about sugar, though gravy does contain carbohydrates, presumably from the corn starch. Corn is a source of glucose but not sure if corn starch has that refined out?

https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/view/ground-turkey,723/

Interestingly enough, selenium makes the list of ingredients... As does copper...

I just got the idea because I didn't want it to go to waste. Also everyone on nano reef should know I don't joke around with my questions. Most the time my questions are totaled serious. Couldn't the oils fats and sugars be nutritious to some inhabitants of the tank?

I guess I never thought of gravy as being particularly rare so I would probably just toss it... I can understand not wanting to waste stuff, but I think a little expired gravy is okay to throw away.

Eh I think its two years past its prime if I remember right, I guess its for the Roaches than? I can freeze extra gravy. I might give a drop or two to the aiptasia, I'll post how it goes.

Noone knows if we're ever suppose to take your post serious. You are definitely the strangest dude on here and I dont even mean that as an insult. I would like to see you make a post with some of your different tanks. We need to see pics or vids or something of your madness. But you know the saying "pics or it didnt happen". So please make a thread with your different tanks

All right I can go make a thread of all my tanks, should I do the freshwater too, whatever I'll get through them all. :)

Make sure you include the tank full of dead bodies

What

The

####

Edit: I love the fact that regardless of how ridiculous this notion is people still broke down the chemical componets to prove just how ridiculous this notion is.

How does someone pick up expired gravy, turn around, look at the tank, and say to themselves "I bet the sponges would like this"

Oh don't worry I will bring the bodies tank into the thread, with time.

I think I got new cat bones to add in the tank.

Save the skull, I am still cleaning it for display.

No pics till I've glued back in the tooth and pulled the extra collagen remains of the skin off the lower jaw.

Archived