ReefCleaners.org

Bacterial infection post fluke treatment or something else?

jamescstein

Background,

My tank had reproducing flukes in large numbers. I'm assuming it came from the CUC. Little tadpoles a couple times in the tank, though no real noticeable fluke symptoms on most of the fish save Mandarins with pale spots coming and going on their fins and sides. (Like a colored shirt that had bleach spilled on it).

Just finished a prazapro treatment of the tank. Mandarins are looking better and eating better as well.

Now our male Pink Skunk has started to develop blisters.

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

Any thoughts about what this is? Could it just be a result of an injury from flukes and a secondary bacterial infection?

Is this in your 2 week old biocube?

Do you have an older tank?

Is this a QT?

How are you controlling ammonia?

I have no specific clue about the fish ailment but if it's a water quality issue then it could be anything.

No not in my BNioCube. Fish is in my wifes 125 gallon tank that has been running for about 4 months. As of yesterday, 7.8 PH 0 NH3, 0 N02, 10 N03. Tank also has a 60 gallon refugium.

A few weeks ago we had several 'spawns' that turned out to be some sort of fluke. The only visible symptom was on her Mandarins, they developed white spots that would come and go. Sort of looked like something was draining the color in places on the fish. Never could see anything that was the cause. Once we learned that we had snails hosting flukes we treated the whole tank with Prazipro. 7 days in the tank and fed Parzi enriched live brine. We just finished that treatment 2 days ago. The Mandarins are looking great as well as the other fish. However, these spots appeared on the male Pink Skunk. Female is looking normal.

As of yesterday the spots seem to be healing but they are still there. We are considering a 2nd round of PraziPro, though it looks like the Long Tentacle the skunks host in won't survive the treatment. It will likely be going into a QT tank this evening as it is looking very sickly.

Unfortunately I can't help then, other that say I usually wait a day or two before worrying about any spot on a fish. As long as the fish are well fed they seem to be able to shake most parasites off which reduces the population to a background level. That's just an opinion though.

Archived