SaltCritters.com

Marble as substrate

farkwar

Anyone ever hear or see of marble being used to cover the bottom of a reef tank?

I've given up on black sand totally, see other thread in this forum.

Marble is calcium carbonate just like aragonite sand is.

If I do go this way, I'm going to acid wash it, to remove impurities and polishing. I'm thinking small tiles, the size of frag tiles.

They come in squares, hexagons, herringbone rectangles.

That seems like an expensive substrate. The calcium carbonate isn't readily available to the tank and inhabitants, either (think of how long marble takes to erode). You may as well go bare bottom or just paint the bottom. You also can't be sure of what's IN the marble as hey suggested

There will be plenty of calcium carbonate in the tank.

I meant by that it wasn't another material, say like ceramic tiles.

The cost is $12 per square foot from a vendor, http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/

This is in lieu of bare bottom, not sand. Sand still scares me a bit. The bare bottom of Elos tanks are kinda ugly, they have silicone running all over the place. Paint really wouldn't hide that, either.

Maybe I should just reef cleaner rock. Cut it down to like 3/8". Small black mosaic marble tiles just seemed kinda cool and novel.

Ok, needs more research

You don't trust sand but you're willing to risk trying something new like marble as a bottom? Fark, you so silly.

Marble may be calcium carbonate, but it isn't as porous as sand, nor will it have the same surface area. It might work, though. Why not give it a shot?

I dont like sand because its function is to trap and collect poop.

I want that poop to go into my filter, instead.

I really dont want to fight with a Python sand cleaner every week.

Ive received frags from a vendor in SanDiego, whose frag plugs are made out of Quikcrete.

Just didnt think that marble would be any worse than that, or CaribSea black sand, which is only 1% aragonite.

I dont like sand because its function is to trap and collect poop.

I want that poop to go into my filter, instead.

Ah. Well any particulate (even large "particles" like marble) will trap waste. The only way to get around this is to go bare bottom.

Otherwise you'll need some sort of micro-fauna system to clean up the bottom so you don't have to.

Maybe you just need a sand-sifting clean-up crew. I have used travertine on the bottom, as well as limestone. No problems.

I had a diamond goby that kept the sand SPOTLESS. Like, amazingly clean. They jump tho, I found out... Was my girlfriend's favorite fish too; she loves how it was always eating up the sand and building it's home.

How much poop ya got OP? I've got 2 clowns in my 15G, and I can't see any poop on the black sand

Weasel Baron

...like polished marble? are you going to put gold pillars in the tank too?

there are some cool diving spots in chili w/ marble caves, could look really cool if you could find a way to get some neat rock formationsMarble_Caves_Patagonia_02-728x505.jpg

Archived