Innovative Marine Aquariums

Amphipods monster help wanted

amphipod

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halkerids might have been over aggressive scavengers that would be difficult to remove because of the scales. Sort of like fireworms with feeding habits.

And opabinia, a must have for any predator tank.

Dr.Brain Coral

Damn amphipod you bet me to it haha. Opabinia and tullimunstrum would both be sweet.

Eurypterids would be my favorite to have in a tank. I am planning to go to a really big shale formation near my house and look for some trilobites and maybe even a eurypterid.

what time period? over where i live in ohio we have some devonian limestone, ive only found brachiopods and a couple cool ones i never could inentify, are you good with fossil identifications?

some smaller eurypterids could have been pretty awesome in a tank, a few like pterygotis would have been fit for something like shedd aquarium. also that would be quite horrifying back in those times to step on one lol

Dr.Brain Coral

Amphipod, it's obvious you are interested in paleontology so I thought I would share a cool story with you. A few years back me and my dad went on a dinosaur dig out in Montana sponsored by answered in genesis. We dug in Glendive Montana with a paleontologist who also runs his own museum out there. We were with a group of about 20 other people and we had 10 days of digging. On day 7 I was digging and I noticed a piece of bone. I called over Otis( the paleontologist) and he took a look. He said To keep digging but be careful incase I had something cool. I kept working with Otis helping and we eventually uncovered a complete vertebrae of a dinosaur. He was really excited and he told me they had not found one of these fossils in this area. He told me he will clean it up and after he is done it's going right into his museum with my name on it for recognition. I am planning a trip to go back out and see it one of these days. I will post pictures if you are interested later.

Amphipod, it's obvious you are interested in paleontology so I thought I would share a cool story with you. A few years back me and my dad went on a dinosaur dig out in Montana sponsored by answered in genesis. We dug in Glendive Montana with a paleontologist who also runs his own museum out there. We were with a group of about 20 other people and we had 10 days of digging. On day 7 I was digging and I noticed a piece of bone. I called over Otis( the paleontologist) and he took a look. He said To keep digging but be careful incase I had something cool. I kept working with Otis helping and we eventually uncovered a complete vertebrae of a dinosaur. He was really excited and he told me they had not found one of these fossils in this area. He told me he will clean it up and after he is done it's going right into his museum with my name on it for recognition. I am planning a trip to go back out and see it one of these days. I will post pictures if you are interested later.

I'm not just interested, I'm totally fascinated with paleontology, I'd love to see the vertabra, what sort of dinosaur was it?post-84861-0-38655100-1421467867_thumb.jpgpost-84861-0-81197400-1421467886_thumb.jpg here are three I can't figure out, there are two different ones in the larger one. The small one I don't know where it came from, large one is Devonian age limestone.
Dr.Brain Coral

Well I would need pictures of just the fossils. I cant really tell to be honest.

He didnt know what dinosaur the vertebrae is from but he assumed its from a Hadrosaur

Looks like hands and feet and rocks from a backyard. You really expect anyone to id something in those blurry pictures?

Probably.

Dr.Brain Coral

61796_498354780241336_1637149532_n.jpg?o

That is the best picture I have

Sorry It took so long, I wanted to find a way to post the pic without just linking to my facebook

Dr.Brain Coral

It was about 8 inches across.

I found on that trip lots of assorted fossils like fragments of dinosaur bones, turtle shells, gar fish scales, petrified wood and I helped excavate a huge triceratops rib. Some other notable ones are following floaters up a hill and helping my dad and another paleontologist excavate a piece of a triceratops frill at this ladies ranch. Me, my dad and the two paleontologists were going to sit down and they were behind us and they said hold up. We look back and watch as one of them bends down and picks up a oblong rock. He holds it out and says you just walked past a trex tooth haha. That was pretty funny. He let us keep almost all the fossils we found just not really important ones like the vertebrae or the tooth.

I have found many local trilobites and bivalves including a rare type of trilobite. I have an unidentified fossil that I am wondering if its a eurypterid carapace. Worm burrows and a bunch of ammonites are a few other cool ones.

I have had some very interesting finds. Up until recently the majority of my time was devoted to paleontology.

That is what I call an awesome time :) I've always wanted to go in a more fossil rich area, you had an awesome experience. My area is loaded with basically brachiopods, rugose corals, and occasionally some other varied corals. Do you know what species of trilobite it was? Show the eurypterid ;)

Also if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 16.

Also lol all I ever liked when I was younger was dinosaurs, now anything alive I'm totally fascinated by.

Dr.Brain Coral

That is what I call an awesome time :) I've always wanted to go in a more fossil rich area, you had an awesome experience. My area is loaded with basically brachiopods, rugose corals, and occasionally some other varied corals. Do you know what species of trilobite it was? Show the eurypterid ;)

Also if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 16.

I have mostly the same types of fossils just some others like trilobites. I will have to look the type up. I will get some pics tommorow of my fossils for you.

I am 16 as well

What about marrellomorphs?

I have mostly the same types of fossils just some others like trilobites. I will have to look the type up. I will get some pics tommorow of my fossils for you. I am 16 as well

Archived