ReefCleaners.org

Red macroalgae

William halligan

William halligan

I have a temprate aquarium and collect all my algaes and orginisms from the beach but can not grow red macro algae.

I have a 5 gallon under 5 watts of light and run blue LED's

Your lighting is more than likely the culprit. 5 watts of any light will barely grow anything but the most simple things.

Also, red macro is (usually) but not always calcerous, so they need stronger lights than non calcium based macros.

I got red algae also from the beach, how Long does yours last?

Your lighting is more than likely the culprit. 5 watts of any light will barely grow anything but the most simple things. Also, red macro is (usually) but not always calcerous, so they need stronger lights than non calcium based macros.
I don't think he's talking about the coraline types he's talking about the one that looks like a mini tree and feels like rubber.
Marc.The.Shark
Your lighting is more than likely the culprit. 5 watts of any light will barely grow anything but the most simple things.

Also, red macro is (usually) but not always calcerous, so they need stronger lights than non calcium based macros.

^^ Listen to him, he knows what he's talking about.

William halligan

Any type of red macro,

here in New Zealand all except one of our sea weeds are macroalgae but the type i want is not a calcium based macro.

I was also told that for a 20L (or 5 gallon) 9-12 watts would be fine.

It takes a week for macroalgae to die in the tank.

But I know exactly what you are talking about amphipod and that is one of the macros i like.

I collected some last Thursday on vacation, it seems alive, one branch died in transport and was brown and smelly. The others are seemingly well. I'm giving mine natural sunlight, its in a room with several windows. When you collected were they a little dry?

Hi William, I'm in NZ too, specifically Auckland. Any chance that you could post a photo of this red macro? IMO, there could be a range of different factors that lead to your red macro to dying off but lighting is definitely a big factor. I have a range of caulerpa and some red halymenia sp in my fuge and they grow pretty well under a DIY fuge light of 5 high power 3-watt LEDs (2 blue and 3 red). In saying that, the red macro are really slow growers compared to the green stuff.

Oily looking but thenagain i get all my water from the ocean and put it straight in my tank
as long as you do water changes the fresh ocean water shouldn't be bad. It actually has several advantages.
William halligan

Gigartina clavifera

Adamsiella chauvinii

normal coralline algae

And i'm from dunedin, yay its always freezing

Gigartina clavifera

Adamsiella chauvinii

normal coralline algae

And i'm from dunedin, yay its always freezing

Well, at least you don't have Auckland's rush hour traffic :D

I see, do you have a tropical marine or are local temperate tank? I've tried something similar to the Adamsiella chauvinii in my fuge, it's a very slow grower but it didn't melt either. Maybe change your light?

William halligan

No, i would love a tropical marine but if i do one i have to do it right, auto topoff system sump/fuge and kalkwasser so i will stick to locals.

I am going for a 50L in august and have the current tank as an invert tank

What's the divers license for? Also I suggest you pick the algae that is out further in the water where the air never hits.

Also my red is breaking up into small branchlets.

Archived