SaltCritters.com

Spec V Build - Beginner Style!

Texag12

Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate your help on identifying these things and telling me if the are harmful. I am seeing more and more pods populating in my tank (little white bugs) crawling on the glass.

• What is this shell thing? It has a hole at the tip, but I've seen nothing come out of it yet.
  • what is the red around it? I think it might be some type of algae, but cannot tell yet

1-7stuff_zps71ce3c51.jpeg

• This rock has been developing tons of the holes, any idea what is causing them? They weren't there when I purchased it.

1-7holesinrock_zpsa7338605.jpeg

• See that greyish blob on the rock in the back left-center that almost looks like a seashell? I've been trying to figure out what it is... today it looks like there's a hole in it... is that an egg stack for something?

1-7stuff2_zpsc20e2936.jpeg

• seeing lots of these tubes on my liverock, but haven't seen anything come out. Is that tube worms or some type of hitchhiker snail? Should I be concerned that I see so many?

1-7stuff3_zps8002db06.jpeg

• This looks like some kind of algae hitchiker... is it bad?

1-7-2015growthonrock_zpsa4f1f7db.jpeg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those tubes are just feather dusters and are harmless. The rest I can't make out.

Thanks for the reply. I scrolled through to this guide to see if I could match any and no luck so far.

Kalanianaole

The first shell with the hole in it is most likely a barnacle. Hard to see from the picture, but the red around it could be an sponge?

The first shell with the hole in it is most likely a barnacle. Hard to see from the picture, but the red around it could be an sponge?

Bingo - that's what it is, a barnacle. Haven't seen anything come out so not sure it's alive

Hey guys, just letting things cruise for awhile. I thought my acan was dying because I saw brownish looking stuff on the backside and it was looking really shriveled up, but now it still looks like that and also looks to be sprouting what appears to be a new head off the side of it. I still have it on the frag plug in the sand bottom.

I thought it looked unhealthy to be honest, hopefully this is a new head growing and not some sign of sickness.

Well damn, one of the zoanthid frags I had in the tank literally got ruined tonight. I came home from taking the wife out on a date to find my large astrea snail had ripped off the polyps tubes and all. Anyone else had their astreas straight up trample a coral? This was a 4 polyp smaller sized zoa just flat as a pancake now.

I reached in and moved the snail, when i did that the broken polyp tube fell out from under him. Pretty damn pissed at the snail right now

Looks like it may be about time to upgrade the stock sponge with some kind of media basket. The sponge is collecting all kinds of crud which I read can keep nitrates elevated even with water changes.

I know the in tankedia basket for spec v is a great choice, any others besides home made that can be recommended?

Those are about the only two options you have with the Spec V. I splurged and went with the inTank basket because it comes with a surface skimmer attachment as well.

Those are about the only two options you have with the Spec V. I splurged and went with the inTank basket because it comes with a surface skimmer attachment as well.

How are you liking it so far? I've seen people remove the center rack and put cheato in it and also seen people running purigen + chemipure elite/blue. What are you running in yours?

I'm not running anything yet (still cycling) besides filter floss to clean the water of dust from the crap fine marco sand. I plan to run filter floss, purigen and leave the bottom chamber if I ever want/need to run carbon. I love the skimmer attachment too.

Trying to practice my photography while growing my reef, so here's some new shots. I have a Rebe t2i with stock lens that I purchased in college. I know nothing about photography, so here's to learning about 2 hobbies at once!

You'll see just how weird/sick looking my acan is in the below pictures....

Acan Frag (Skeleton was exposed this much when I purchased it - skeleton has not increased in visibility since owning)

IMG_2225_zps6afab9bb.jpg

Eagle Eye Zoa frag

IMG_2229_zps2bd4dccd.jpg

Astrea Snail

IMG_2240_zpsce7f82f4.jpg

Green Star Polyps frag glued to Spec V false wall

IMG_2235_zpse98c12f4.jpg

Peppermint Shrimp

IMG_2238_zps9de6a1c9.jpg

Unknown large zoa frag

IMG_2233_zpsc0920a31.jpg

Could the pep shrimp be picking at it? They are known to go after acans. I know you said it was like that when purchased but could the pep be keeping it from healing?

Very possible, I will spot feed mysis and see what happens.

Just checked levels and everything looks good. Salinity a tad high 1.027 with a refractometer

Are you guys feeding your coral anything besides mysis? I've read great stuff About reef roids, reef chili, etc would love to pick some up but unsure which is best for me and my small tank

When I feed (Which isn't often) I always just used frozen Mysis. Can't vouch for the others.

Thanks, I ordered .75 oz of reef chili from BulkReefSupply for like $6.xx shipped. Going to try that out and see how things go. Right now things are looking good and water tests are going good as well. I've been doing 30-50% changes 1-2x per week.

Current Pictures:

IMG_2241_zps50e2e4d8.jpg

IMG_2253_zpsbad1273e.jpg

IMG_2248_zps9e4b1ae1.jpg

IMG_2247_zps7def3cb0.jpg

IMG_2244_zps1558e750.jpg

Question: How do you know when it is time to add fish? I am seeing TONS of copepods on my glass walls. Is a decent population + good water tests a sign that it's the right time to introduce one? If I get a goby species should I be ok to add a clown in this size tank?

Another question: My CUC is 1 peppermint shrimp, 2 astreas, 1 narcassrius - should I grow my CUC? I am seeing lots of debris on my sand bed so thinking it might be a good idea to.

As you can see from the pics above I've gone purely acan/zoa up to this point. Now is where I'd like to start adding some diversity with frogspawn and other things to give a flowy/height appearance

Any reason why?

Looking good man,very nice.I gave up on my spec and switched everything over to a 10g tank much happier

Just too small for my liking, nothing against the tank .you guys do have some nice setups.

I definitely see me wanting a slightly bigger tank in the future, but I doubt I will ever desire one of the huge complex tanks. I had trouble fitting live rock in a way that I liked it with this size tank as a beginner but I figure I might as well rock this out since I've already made the investment.

Anyone notice a certain side of their tank tends to have more algae than others? My right side is definitely algae dominant. Lots of green on the rock, and my back rock is starting to develop some black fuzz looking algae... think it might be time to beef up my CUC pronto.

IMG_2262_zps7c017584.jpg

Deadish Acan looking better

IMG_2256_zps2d8c63db.jpg

algae all over right rock

IMG_2263_zpsed5b7792.jpg

IMG_2263_zpsed5b7792.jpg

IMG_2265_zps90ec0d80.jpg

Anyone notice a certain side of their tank tends to have more algae than others? My right side is definitely algae dominant. Lots of green on the rock, and my back rock is starting to develop some black fuzz looking algae... think it might be time to beef up my CUC pronto.

i think it's because the return nozzle is on the right side

Archived