Top Shelf Aquatics

Amphipod Issues

Tanks

I currently have a Mr Aqua 12L which is suffering from amphipods. I have dipped the rocks and corals and they went away for awhile but are back in full force. I would like something that will handle these that will live happily in a tank this size. My other inhabitants are 2 peppermint shrimp, an Anemone crab and 2 Flower Anemones so I will need something that will get along with these fellas. All suggestions whether it be fish or other would be welcome. Thanks. =)

They are after my Zoas. Amphipods aren't nice to Zoas and I have been trying to rebuild my Zoa collection after my tank crashed back last spring. I finally got some nice ones in and the Amphipods are doing them in. =/

Had this problem years ago. Litlle buggers ate nearly all my Zoas/Palys once they got to full adult size (nearly 1/2").

I had this little guy in the tank for around 6 months and haven't seen a hunchback Amphipod since. They're small, but can be a bit territorial. Their best attribute is that they are primarily nocturnal, which is when Amphipods are most active.

Black Barred Convict Goby (Priolepis nocturna)

I also want something this isn't likely to go jumping outta the tank. If I put egg crate over tank it restricts the light to the corals. Are those mesh tops better at letting light through?

Would he be ok around Rock Flower Nems?

Never dealt with Rock Flower Anemones, but here's a post for you:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/338688-goby-with-rock-flowermaxi-mini-nems/

I also want something this isn't likely to go jumping outta the tank. If I put egg crate over tank it restricts the light to the corals. Are those mesh tops better at letting light through?

I had mine for over half a year in an open top tank. Never once did it approach the surface since they hug the rocks.

Thanks for the advice Nano Sapiens. I will look around for one. Just want to make sure I get something that isn't prone to jumping so I don't have to cover my tank. Its a shallow tank.

I am redoing my rock work this weekend.. while I have rocks out I will do another dip. Doing a FW dip on the rocks wont do too much damage to stuff will it? I have a big micro brittle star roaming in it as well.. would hate to loose him but Zoas bit more important I suppose.

Nano sapiens

Thanks for the advice Nano Sapiens. I will look around for one. Just want to make sure I get something that isn't prone to jumping so I don't have to cover my tank. Its a shallow tank. I am redoing my rock work this weekend.. while I have rocks out I will do another dip. Doing a FW dip on the rocks wont do too much damage to stuff will it? I have a big micro brittle star roaming in it as well.. would hate to loose him but Zoas bit more important I suppose.

Ummm, I have never considered a FW dip on SW live rock. What are you trying to accomplish?

Oops..my bad. No I am not going to fw dip them, altho I will be dipping them in a heavy solution of Seachems reef dip. I am redoing my rockwork so I'm going to dip after I bust that particular rock down.

CronicReefer

I would definitely go with some sort of fish that eats pods rather than trying to dip your rocks. I don't think dipping is going to stop them from repopulating your tank. Amphipods live in the sand as well which is also why dipping the rocks won't help.

Archived