inTank Media Baskets

8 Gallon Reef Bowl Project

jgoodrick

So, I decided to start this little project tank, while my wife and I were shopping for xmas decorations a few weeks ago at Garden Ridge Pottery. I'm open to suggestions on livestock. thanks

Equipment:

8 Gallon Bowl (Garden Ridge Pottery)

Jebo Internal Filter

Fluval Powerhead

Par38 50/50 LED Lamp

Tetra 5-15 50w Heater

15 lbs live rock

5 lbs live sand

Livestock:

to be determined.....

corals, snails, etc for sure

possibly 2 or 3 red honey damsels, white fang blenny...

post-86785-0-74438600-1419958559_thumb.jpg

Jgoodrick

how does the evaporation work on the bowl, 8 g is enough volume to make it pretty good but I bet it needs daily or twice daily manual freshwater additions?

if you ever get a chance to test something post back and let me know...the water level chosen above is a smaller evaporative surface area for loss of freshwater than if you let the water line drop and expose more surface area, an interesting and unique dynamic to globe type reef tanks

contrast that to a standard square tank has the same evap rate

ours increases with each drop of the water line...lemme know if that water line vs any other ever has marked effects on water loss, especially if a dropping water line makes you have to top off more often (or perhaps there's not much difference, id like to know either way)

• 7 months later...

so.... its been a while since I have updated this thread with the progress with the "Reef Bowl". It has been a great success and a really fun little project tank.

post-86785-0-53756100-1439931760_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived