Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Petco 3.7G Cubic Pico Reef Build!

ReefMasterFlex941

ReefMasterFlex941

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my build with all of you! Still in the planning stages. As of right now I have the tank, filter pad, and Chemi-pure elite.

These are the items I have ordered (still waiting on arrival):

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/nano-lite/

http://www.tmart.com/3W-6500K-Blue-white-Aquarium-Fish-tank-LED-Light-85V-265V_p125817.html?utm_source=sas&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=aff

http://www.tmart.com/Submersible-Digital-Thermometer-Blue_p177564.html

The tank is an AIO and I am looking for an ATO that will fit in the back filter system. I don't have much room back there here are the dimensions 1.5" x 3" (length x width) depth is not an issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

ReefMasterFlex941

I have wanted to see one of these setup as a pico reef.

Following...

Thanks! I will definitely keep you updated!

Good luck.

Thanks! I haven't had a tank for about 2 years so I will need it!

ReefMasterFlex941

Picked up an api master saltwater test kit today and an extra calcium kit. i figured i will wait till the tank is cycled to test for phosphates and hardness. Checked shipping on the reef breeders nano lite and it should be here on Jan. 2nd!! cant wait! I found an ATO for nanos that is only 1.5" x 1.5" at http://autotopoff.com.

These are the items I'm still in need of:

ATO and Aqua lifter pump

Taam Rio power head (69 gph)

Sand (anyone know where i can buy like a 3lb or 5lb bag of black sand?)

Live Rock and LR rubble for fuge

Diy aquarium stand

Any suggestions on where to acquire these items at a decent price will be much appreciated!

IF you are not worried about ph buffering, petco has black sand in 5 lb bags for $5. I, however, wouldn't do it. I think you need all the help you can get with stabilization in a pico.

For a really simple, inexpensive stand, go to Lowe's and buy 12" wall cabinet in the unfinished section. Less than $60 and will have two adjustable shelves in it. Finish to your heart's desire. item 148396

Aqualifters are dirt cheap no matter where you order them from. My preference is Amazon.

LR and rubble, start dry from BRS. Make sure you rinse it well first though. I'm going with Pukani in my nano.

Hope this helps!

Steven

ReefMasterFlex941

IF you are not worried about ph buffering, petco has black sand in 5 lb bags for $5. I, however, wouldn't do it. I think you need all the help you can get with stabilization in a pico.

For a really simple, inexpensive stand, go to Lowe's and buy 12" wall cabinet in the unfinished section. Less than $60 and will have two adjustable shelves in it. Finish to your heart's desire. item 148396

Aqualifters are dirt cheap no matter where you order them from. My preference is Amazon.

LR and rubble, start dry from BRS. Make sure you rinse it well first though. I'm going with Pukani in my nano.

Hope this helps!

Steven

Thanks Steven and happy new year!

I'll be slowly piecing this stuff together on my next paycheck.

ReefMasterFlex941

Here are a couple FTS with the new light on it, I'm going to see if my step dad will let me borrow his bad ass camera. My phone over saturated everything lol. I really don't know which pic is which, but one is all blues, one is white, violet, and blues, the other is just warm white and violet all are at 100% intensity.

image2_zps39582f78.jpg

image3_zps08fa33a6.jpg

image1_zps41b65b66.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
kmrotterdam

I also have this same tank (Petco Pico 3.7 gal). Here are two pics of day 3 (6 lbs live sand, and 7 lbs fully cured coralline live rock).

post-27856-0-43074300-1436487598_thumb.jpeg

post-27856-0-58246400-1436487690_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Wow really nice! I have the same tank. However, I just made mine a betta tank. My only quarrel with the tank is the original pump sucks and I see no water movement through the chambers. 

ReefMasterFlex941
11 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great to see you back @ReefMasterFlex941, congratulations on getting your pico reef all setup! What all do you have planned for it?

Thanks! Glad to be back!

Right now I’m planning on getting some Ricordea, more lps, and zoas. Waiting on a shipment right now with an acan, a zoa, and 2 nassarius snails. No fish but in a week or 2 I’ll be adding 3 sexy shrimp. 

• Like 1

I genuinely can't believe that you procrastinated so long on this LOL!  Can you provide another link for your ATO?  I clicked on it but the page won't load.  Did they go out of business? 

I'm with @Jaybird5 on keeping it freshwater.  I have mine setup in my office as a freshwater red cherry shrimp tank.  My last shrimp died a few days ago and I'm considering making it saltwater.  I'm setting up 2 saltwater tanks at home (at the same time) and I'm afraid that it'd just be too much money going into all these new tanks.  Could really use some budget solutions for an office nano. 

• Like 2

Yeah I am thinking when my betta passes to either make it saltwater or maybe just a freshwater shrimp tank. My betta enjoys the tank though. He was in my community until he became a punk. I just feel like the standard pump on this tank is awful. I see no water flowing into the intake. I just threw in a sponge filter in the output box. 

• Like 1
ReefMasterFlex941
5 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I genuinely can't believe that you procrastinated so long on this LOL!  Can you provide another link for your ATO?  I clicked on it but the page won't load.  Did they go out of business? 

I'm with @Jaybird5 on keeping it freshwater.  I have mine setup in my office as a freshwater red cherry shrimp tank.  My last shrimp died a few days ago and I'm considering making it saltwater.  I'm setting up 2 saltwater tanks at home (at the same time) and I'm afraid that it'd just be too much money going into all these new tanks.  Could really use some budget solutions for an office nano. 

I ended up going with the auto aqua smart ato, definitely worth the money 

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-ATO-Micro-Automatic-AutoAqua/dp/B0195D3LC6/ref=pd_gwm_mbia_1?pf_rd_p=db8e741f-3a25-4908-9938-1cabe21e7102&pf_rd_s=blackjack-experiment-1&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_s=mobile-web-gateway&pd_rd_r=9SJGX8Q38TF6J43Y5GZ2&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_wg=V8rNQ&pf_rd_p=a9538322-519a-4f77-ac8f-bff0840d7dce&pf_rd_i=mobile-web-gateway&pd_rd_w=6CXXo&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=TCAGG5G107QT2Y230GNA&pd_rd_i=B0195D3LC6

57 minutes ago, Jaybird5 said:

Yeah I am thinking when my betta passes to either make it saltwater or maybe just a freshwater shrimp tank. My betta enjoys the tank though. He was in my community until he became a punk. I just feel like the standard pump on this tank is awful. I see no water flowing into the intake. I just threw in a sponge filter in the output box. 

Yeah, I upgraded the pump to a rio 180 with an rfg, I have the stock pump in the display for surface agitation. The pump is only like 40gph I think.

4 hours ago, Jaybird5 said:

The curved front + the stock pump is awful since nothing is directed towards the overflow.  It simply swirls in circles over and over again.  I've thought about gutting it, then turning the tank backwards so the curve is on the backside.  However, I'm too lazy for that mess.  :-)

I do have some easy to care for freshwater plants (2) and I can see them swaying just a bit though.  

If either of you need a glass top, let me know and I can ship it if you'd cover the shipping.  It's always warm in my office so I've just taken the lid off permanently. 

• Thanks 1