Eisernes

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome stand!

Where did you get your dry rock from?

Thanks.

The rock is from Marcorocks

Looks sweet! Love the yellow! Do you mind me asking how you hung the kessil?

It's a plant hanger with a toggle bolt behind it on the other side of the ceiling tile. The chain is bought by the foot. I used small S hooks to hook the Kessil to the chain and to tie the chain together.

It's a plant hanger with a toggle bolt behind it on the other side of the ceiling tile. The chain is bought by the foot. I used small S hooks to hook the Kessil to the chain and to tie the chain together.

Ok cool, but how did you attach the S hooks to the kessil itself?

Ok cool, but how did you attach the S hooks to the kessil itself?

The Kessil comes with two little triangular hoops that screw into the unit. It comes with the two little hoops and the gooseneck adapter. They use the same holes so you just choose which one you want to use.

How is bacteria get's introduced in the tank, if you are planing to have dry rocks and maybe sand?

I'm planing to setup 24G nano so I was thinking to use dry rock and sand...

Thank you

Which one do you think works better?

DrTim's Cycling Reef, Fritz TurboStart 900

I will probably use Microblift Special Blend and Nite-Out

Got word today that the tank is shipping on Friday so it should be here by Wednesday.

I'm looking at starboard but I'm not sure about the thickness. 1/4" or 1/2"?

I ordered the last few things tonight and it should all be here next week. I ordered a black piece of starboard for the bare bottom. I haven't seen many with black but it's purely aesthetic. Until it gets covered with corals and coraline it will match the black seams on the tank and the black Kessil. Also ordered frosted window cling for the back. I plan on backlighting the tank with a soft white light. Not sure yet what that light will be yet but I'm sure the good people at Home Depot will have some suggestions. I'm hoping this will help hide what little equipment there is behind the tank. Only thing left to pick up is a 5 gallon tank from Petco to use as a temporary ATO reservoir. This time next week I should be filling up. fingerscrossed I still have a couple of minor projects to tidy up this weekend including reinforcing the scape and assembling the MAME.

I've worked hard on the details with this build. I started with the MAME overflow and worked around it. "Where there is clutter nothing stands out". Once the tank is filled out I don't want people to see anything but the livestock. For the most part everything has been carefully planned and researched and almost all of the planning worked out on the first pass. There is a lot of inspiration to be found on these forums. Some of the tanks that influenced me or I blatantly ripped off elements of are...

4x5's Shallow Reef

Hey's 50g

Ninjamysts Spec V and his PicOsIII

NGaHB's 34 Gallon

Hypes Zero Edge

There are plenty more but these come immediately to mind. I hope that someday my tank is on someones list. :bowdown:

It has been 97 days now but my tank is finally shipping for the second time. It will be in the dirty clumsy hands of UPS once more by the end of the day. I keep thinking that I should have just taken a road trip to Illinois.

Behold, a box of wet rocks.

004-16.jpg

006-7.jpg

005-11.jpg

Tank finally arrived and it was worth the wait. It's still a little hazy and there are still little bubbles stuck to the sides but it's full. Almost flooded my living room twice before I figured out that I had to prime the front AND back u's on the overflow. Had to dial the pump back to about 75% or the waterline would nearly come to the top. I've tested it about a dozen times and the overflow restarts every time. The Tunze 6040 didn't work out the way I was hoping so I had to switch it out for a MP 10. The cycling process has commenced with Microlift special blend and nite-out.

Is it possible to silence the high water alarm on the 3155?

• 2 weeks later...

Salt tanks are a constant learning experience for me. Todays lesson - hermit crabs have a really hard time moving in a bare bottom tank.

Tank is cycled. It has been good for a couple of days but to be sure I added a little ammonia yesterday and it processed it over night. I added a few ceriths and hermits and a pair of regular old occellaris clown. I debated getting some fancy designer clowns but I want the focus to be the coral, not the fish. Pics to follow.

Archived