Pod Your Reef

help with my fish stock

jamescon85

Hi all,

So i have had my tank for 6 months now, i have had a firefish, chromis, and 2 clowns pretty much from day one. I then added a scooter blenny and he has been fine for months. I then tried a couple of dwarf angels (bi colour and coral beauty) and both lasted less than a week. I have recently tried both a goby and a blenny, which have also lasted less than a week, however i did introduce a cleaner shrimp which has lasted maybe a month now. Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? is there a rogue fish in there destroying new comers? my parameters are fine,do 10% water change every week and half, and still have all the fish i started with aswell as the scoote blenny. At the weekend gone i just added a small six line, he seems fine so far and isnt attacking anything or getting attacked himself, fingers crossed he will be ok

Clowns all cleared up. That could maybe be the cause but surely it would have affected all the fish? I added some cuprazin to the tank and that cleared it up and I now have a uv on there. Tank is 140 litres. Salinity is 1.022, and ammonia and nitrites both at 0, with nitrates between 0 and 5ppm

Just wondering if you quarantine your fish? Ich can hide sometimes and not show up until the fish is stressed. I also just read about a strain that is copper-resistant and kills in about 24 hours.

Nope I don't, however I buy from a store which do quarantine and they also have uvs on all their tanks. I have no spots on any of my fish, and haven't had any on any fish other than the clowns, which cleared up with meds

IMO your salinity is a bit low. I like about 1.025-1.026 also don't do a drastic swing 5-10%weekly water changes are good.they say ick Is present but it shouldn't bother healthy fish in a healthy system. I would look at the system before I started adding chemicals

the reason i have my salinity at 1.022 is because the shop i get my stock and water from has there water 1.022, and they have kept fish there for months with no problems

I added a flame angel to my 20 gal tank a week ago. I have a damsel fish, black sailfin blenny, ( who lunges at him occasionally) Percula clown and a possum wrasse. He seams to be stressed a bit. It may be a pecking order problem. I wonder how these fish are collected also from the wild. That may have some influence on how they adapt to an aquarium. I kept a pygmy angelfish in the past in my 29 gal bio cube with success. BTW my tank is a mixed reef which is why I keep my salinity where I do.

Archived