ReefCleaners.org

Aiptasia? (beginner question)

tomduud

Off topic, but I found another hitch hiker which I'm not sure what is it. It is similar size than the previous, but look different. Sorry about a bit grainy image. The lights were on sunset mode and I had to pump up camera iso value.

post-85241-0-39593900-1420479876_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I love that little macroalgae, whatever it is. Hope it hangs around for you. What are the little red thready bits?

I have no idea what these red/purple bits are. Some kind of algae I think. I have two different varieties of these. Second image is blurry, but you can spot the shape. They are 8mm high per leaf and grow 1inch/ spot.

post-85241-0-84515900-1421574525_thumb.jpg post-85241-0-50697200-1421574531_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Man, that's badass. I had this pop up last week, was waiting to see what it turned into and I noticed a hermit sitting in that spot for a bit and now it's gone.

post-84060-0-79030100-1422229030_thumb.jpg

Another mystery:

post-85241-0-93094000-1422813834_thumb.jpg

I started to take photographs and shutdown the AC20 and Nano stream. After 5 minutes the LR and some of the corals where covered with this. It look liked "red" algae but when I started the pumps it was gone. Any idea what is it? It is like million dots jumping around :).

The small dots moves and jumps around:). They look like a microscopic bugs or similar. In picture it looks like a thread algae, but it is not thread or similar. Huge concentration of bugs :).

• 1 month later...

I think I just found Aiptasia or similar from my tank (attached image). Its growing between live rock and back glass so I have not noticed it earlier. Its about inch tall and 1/3 inch wide. Only one spotted so far... Please confirm I'm in right track before I try to nuke it...

post-85241-0-54255200-1426005736_thumb.jpg

Other small ones are doing fine and have not grown at all (small anemone looking ones mentioned earlier in this thread).

Yes this is an aiptaisa notice how it lacks the sand column that the other one has.

the other looks like a tube anemone pretty awesome find.

The green and red growths are all different macro algeas. wetwebmedia.com is a great place to id macros be forewarned you can spend all day there and still not find the right one.

• Like 1

Yes this is an aiptaisa notice how it lacks the sand column that the other one has.

the other looks like a tube anemone pretty awesome find.

The green and red growths are all different macro algeas. wetwebmedia.com is a great place to id macros be forewarned you can spend all day there and still not find the right one.

Thanks for the information about aiptasia and tube anemone & macro algae as well. I will nuke aiptasia asap.

I went with large peppermint myself. They cleared the aiptasia asap. I wouldn't recommend making it detach because it could quickly disappear. That or it will pull back into its crevice and pop out of another hole. Had this happen to me. If you go the peppermint shrimp route, keep them very well fed. Second they get hungry, they will chomp on your zoas and shrooms. The one I had left is now in the refugium because it went after my new bright orange shroom.

• Like 1