SaltCritters.com

Native nz coldwater rockpool tank

William halligan

William halligan

I have just setup a native New Zealand rock pool aquarium and i was searching for tips on keeping cold water aquariums

Currently have;

20L aquarium

200L/hr filter

400L/hr power head

Acrylic insulates better than glass. Have you considered switching to acrylic? Depending on how cold you need to get it, a 1/13th HP chiller might be enough.

An Ice Probe Chiller can cool 10 gallons by 6 to 8 degrees. You could use multiple Ice Probe Chillers to achieve greater temperature drops and/or larger tank sizes. An aquarium controller can be used to control the temperature.

What temperature range are you shooting for?

William halligan

Nothing over 15 degrees celcius, the tank is all ready set up and cycling at 20 degrees so too late to swap glass for acrylic

OK, so 59°F. That's a difference of about 16°F (or 9°C). An Ice Probe wouldn't be able to achieve that with your tank. You might even want to use a 1/10th HP chiller.

William halligan

Thanks, that was my biggest problem because the fish i want live in very cold tempratures, they can handle the warmth but i would like to play it safe

You are talking of the tide pool dwellers correct?

One recommendation, don't pick any algae living only in the littoral zone, they always die in captivity.

William halligan

Not alwayse i have heard of a guy with a 6 year old native and a friend of mine has had his set up for two and a half years but he is a marine biologest so knows exactly what to do

Polarcollision

Heads up on the ice probe chillers. Mine lasted one year and then were useless and lots of echo stories on the internets. 1/10 or 1/15 hp chiller is more reliable long term.

PS, do you have a thread? Would love to follow

William halligan

I dont know the guy with the older tank so i am not sure if he had red macro

But my friend can't keep red macro either but it will last longer in his tank because of his water flow

And i was thinking the same thing as you amphipod about the chiller because they get really warm

A chiller shouldn't be needed for tide pool creatures, they were made to withstand the changes.

This is what i was thinking. Most tidepool areas around here (Similar temps to NZ) need to withstand monstrous changes of temp throughout the year. Probably around 30 degree (F) differences.

Even when they can get stuck in the pools at low tide and are subjected to the direct sunlight, or freezing wind, rain, or drying sun.

Even changes within a few hours.

Polarcollision

A chiller shouldn't be needed for tide pool creatures, they were made to withstand the changes.

A common misperception, but let's think about this. Being able to withstand a higher temp does not necessarily mean it is ideal environment for a long life. We can withstand 130 F, but are we going to stay in that temp for the rest of our lives? Nope. Biologically, enzymes function best within a narrow temp range. If the creature can't cool itself to that ideal temp, it's biology will likely be negatively affected. I'd look at the range a species inhabits at high tide and find out the max average temp of that range, then keep the aquarium at or below.

Maybe you'll have a different experience, but my tidepool fish survived at 65 F, the anemones did not. Thriving was at 55 F.

William halligan

I still want to see what the fish are like in water that is cooler it has been really hot ever since I set the tank up so I can't say for sure yet

William halligan

PS, do you have a thread? Would love to follow

I have set up a thread in reefers tanks forum it is called temprate marine nano tank

I will do weekly updates

I still want to see what the fish are like in water that is cooler it has been really hot ever since I set the tank up so I can't say for sure yet
how hot you talking?

Archived