Pod Your Reef

Will a clownfish change hosts?

Thomas898

Hey all, started my tank with two oscellaris clowns, did not end up introducing a BTA due to size restrictions. Instead went for a lot of LPS and softies, in the hope the clowns would host one of them as a substitute..

Aaand they appear to have settled for my acanthophyllia. Bigger one bites my hand now whenever I go near it to feed it, they have started sleeping next to it and rubbing against it when it's extended. I was hoping they'd settle for something with longer polyps, like a euphyllia or xenia. But no..

Now that they've settled on something, will they change hosts if something more appealing comes along, like a BTA when I upgrade tanks? No offence to the meat coral, but it isn't exactly providing the picturesque relationship I hoped for. :unsure:

Yes they could switch no guarantee with clowns they pretty much do as they please

Thank you! Nice to know it may not be a permanent decision :)

Picture of the clowns on top of their new favourite coral.

post-86000-0-61576700-1419769596_thumb.jpg

Yeah clowns pretty much host whatever they want. I have seen many host a wide range of LPS, even a giant clam! Also even with anemone they can switch around too. I have multiple anemones and my 5" clarkii dances from one to another all the time.

Archived