ReefCleaners.org

Clam has PM

PiscesFish

I should've saw the sign when part of the mantle was scrunched up a bit, but I thought that it was probably feeding since it scrunches up and closes while opening and, well, feeding haha.

It was somewhat extending yesterday and now it seems to be sinking into it's shell and I don't think that my blenny is helping and I thought I saw it nipping at the mantle last night so I'm going to be returning him.

Though, now I need to know where to get Dechlorinated water to do a freshwater dip or any methods of turning tap water into dechlorinated water.

give us pics of the clam, one way of telling is turning off the lights, pinched mantle clam will curl rather than close when lights go out, and there are many products to make tap water safe but you will need water thats pure and adjust the ph and alk to the same levels as in the tank

I was reading Zeph's post about PM and he said to use dechlorinated water, not distilled. Then I was reading other forums and they said that they used RO/DI water but I wasn't too sure

Sorry for the crappy pic

post-80025-0-69028200-1419624683_thumb.jpg

Deleted User 8

The only water you should ever use for anything in a reef tank is RO/DI water.

That's almost like rule number one.

What do you top off with?

Buzz

The only water you should ever use for anything in a reef tank is RO/DI water.

That's almost like rule number one.

What do you top off with?

Buzz

I'm sorry if this comes off as me having attitude, but I know that you dont use tap water to top off my tank. Ive been reefing long enough to know that. I am asking how to help my clam that has Pinched Mantle Disease. I have read up on what to do but I need to make sure i get the right water for the TREATMENT for my clam.

Deleted User 8

No offense taken, but if you have been reefing long enough you would know not to ever use tap water for anything. That is a noob question.

No attitude meant.

Use RO/DI of the same temp and pH as the DT water. Dip for 25 min. Make sure the FW gets all over and into the clam. Burp clam before reintroduction to DT.

Buzz

No offense taken, but if you have been reefing long enough you would know not to ever use tap water for anything. That is a noob question.

No attitude meant.

Use RO/DI of the same temp and pH as the DT water. Dip for 25 min. Make sure the FW gets all over and into the clam. Burp clam before reintroduction to DT.

Buzz

Again, excuse my attitude and stubborness, but I did say above that I read Zeph's forum and he said to use "dechlorinated water not distilled" which means that it deals with tap water.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/303365-pinched-mantle-disease/

"First is first -How to do a fresh water dip:

Use a container or tank that will hold enough water to completely cover your clam, and fill it with dechlorinated TAP water. NOT RO, distilled or anything else.You will need a ph meter to bring the ph up from around 7 to atleast 8 with a little buffer. I like to add an airstone, but thats just me."

Otherwise I do know that I do not use tap water from the sink. It add nutrients that are bad for the tank and it can also cause cyanobacteria or any unwanted algae blooms.

Again, excuse my attitude and stubborness, but I did say above that I read Zeph's forum and he said to use "dechlorinated water not distilled" which means that it deals with tap water.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/303365-pinched-mantle-disease/

"First is first -How to do a fresh water dip:

Use a container or tank that will hold enough water to completely cover your clam, and fill it with dechlorinated TAP water. NOT RO, distilled or anything else.You will need a ph meter to bring the ph up from around 7 to atleast 8 with a little buffer. I like to add an airstone, but thats just me."

Otherwise I do know that I do not use tap water from the sink. It add nutrients that are bad for the tank and it can also cause cyanobacteria or any unwanted algae blooms.

your right on the dechlor tap water, rodi would shock the clam even if PH and Temp was the same as far as my understanding of it goes.

good luck with the clam, lost an ora one recently to PM and it was a bummer I let it go for too long before I tried a fw dip

your right on the dechlor tap water, rodi would shock the clam even if PH and Temp was the same as far as my understanding of it goes.

good luck with the clam, lost an ora one recently to PM and it was a bummer I let it go for too long before I tried a fw dip

Do you know where I am able to buy dechlorinated water or if I can make it at home?

And I'm so glad that I saw your post because I literally had a set up already with rodi water. Though, should i just tempt it with the rodi water or should i try to do dechlorinated water first if i can?

Do you know where I am able to buy dechlorinated water or if I can make it at home?

And I'm so glad that I saw your post because I literally had a set up already with rodi water. Though, should i just tempt it with the rodi water or should i try to do dechlorinated water first if i can?

rodi can be reconstituted with minerals I think prime may do that but I am not sure. Easier to just but some dechlor from the lfs or let tap water sit a couple days to gas off the chlorine. Be sure to look up the amount of time it takes to degas though as I can't remember off the top of my head.

Deleted User 8

Can you quote a reference for this other than a post Zeph made that the OP referenced? I didn't see any such reference in the thread. I've never seen tap water suggested for FW clam dips, never.

Here is one quick reference from many if you google it:

Pinched Mantle Syndrome in Giant Clams

By Dr. David Basti, Deborah Bouchard and Barry Neigut

"Place the clam in RO water that the temperature is the same as your tank and (ideally) adjust the pH to match that of the aquarium. Move the clam from side to side in the water, and this will help get some of the RO water in between the mantle and shell where the parasite seems to be present."

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_4/clams.html

Buzz

rodi can be reconstituted with minerals I think prime may do that but I am not sure. Easier to just but some dechlor from the lfs or let tap water sit a couple days to gas off the chlorine. Be sure to look up the amount of time it takes to degas though as I can't remember off the top of my head.

Or just use your RODI water that just about everyone else uses and recommends. Really, where is this tap water thing coming from?

Buzz

In my experience, Dipping a clam in RO/DI is not as effective as dipping in drinking water or dechlorinated tap. For whatever reason, the virus or bacteria that causes PM is more effectively treated by using fw that has a lot of chemicals or TDS in it. I've tried dipping clams in RO/DI at both the shop I work at and at home and they PM just comes back a few days later. With the drinking water or dechlorinated tap, after a few dips the PM is gone. Zeph Does state that dipping the clam in dechlorinated tap is more effective.

Can you quote a reference for this other than a post Zeph made that the OP referenced? I didn't see any such reference in the thread. I've never seen tap water suggested for FW clam dips, never.

Here is one quick reference from many if you google it:

Pinched Mantle Syndrome in Giant Clams

By Dr. David Basti, Deborah Bouchard and Barry Neigut

"Place the clam in RO water that the temperature is the same as your tank and (ideally) adjust the pH to match that of the aquarium. Move the clam from side to side in the water, and this will help get some of the RO water in between the mantle and shell where the parasite seems to be present."

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_4/clams.html

Buzz

Or just use your RODI water that just about everyone else uses and recommends. Really, where is this tap water thing coming from?

Buzz

That reference you linked is RO water from what I am seeing and not deionized. Lots of salts still in the water (not reef salts ofc)

Heres the issue, you are new here, you nit pick and start fights in almost every thread you are posting in with a very holier than though attitude and it comes across that way even though you say you don't mean to or we are all just taking it the wrong way. There is a difference between being helpful and just being a know it all.

Zeph's info is all the information needed on a freshwater dip, he trusts his dips to his $5,000 gigas and his many many other clams. That is why it is a sticky, because he is trusted here. Your information is not trusted not because you may not know what you are saying but because you are an internet random.

That reference you linked is RO water from what I am seeing and not deionized. Lots of salts still in the water (not reef salts ofc)

Heres the issue, you are new here, you nit pick and start fights in almost every thread you are posting in with a very holier than though attitude and it comes across that way even though you say you don't mean to or we are all just taking it the wrong way. There is a difference between being helpful and just being a know it all.

Zeph's info is all the information needed on a freshwater dip, he trusts his dips to his $5,000 gigas and his many many other clams. That is why it is a sticky, because he is trusted here. Your information is not trusted not because you may not know what you are saying but because you are an internet random.

Amen

Deleted User 8

I got it, must be my more pedestrian $50 clams then. When I get some $5000 clams then tap water it is.

--that is me being an ass and picking a bit of a fight. Notice the difference?

All I asked for is some reference to the claim that tap was better. I actually did some searching to see what others thought. All I could find was information that recommended RO or RO/DI water. I even referenced a scholarly article with those exact claims. Admittedly, I did not do any exhaustive research on the subject, but all references to using tap water that I did see pointed here to NR.

Picking a fight indeed. Just asking for a reference to advice that is contrary to most all others? Hhmmm...

Buzz

I got it, must be my more pedestrian $50 clams then. When I get some $5000 clams then tap water it is.

--that is me being an ass and picking a bit of a fight. Notice the difference?

All I asked for is some reference to the claim that tap was better. I actually did some searching to see what others thought. All I could find was information that recommended RO or RO/DI water. I even referenced a scholarly article with those exact claims. Admittedly, I did not do any exhaustive research on the subject, but all references to using tap water that I did see pointed here to NR.

Picking a fight indeed. Just asking for a reference to advice that is contrary to most all others? Hhmmm...

Buzz

no difference noted, continue to try to undermine very trusted stickies in the forum.

Deleted User 8

no difference noted, continue to try to undermine very trusted stickies in the forum.

Wow... How dare I question the experts here, huh? LOL!

It's funny that you don't see it. As an internet random, I can point to people with doctorates and known experts in the field. I've even given you a link to such an article. I have books on the subject that call for the use of RO or RO/DI water in treating pinched mantle. You point to some forum expert with a sticky and $5000 clams (like that matters much).

Now I am not saying that using tap water might not be better, it's just that seems to be a minority opinion in the world outside NR. I just asked for references. What's wrong with that?

Also, stop reading so much attitude into my posts hey, that's on you.

Buzz

Archived