Innovative Marine Aquariums

bioload?

GT350pwns

I am at the point where I have all the fish that I want in my 36 gallon bow front. Except for one... I have 2 clowns, a flame angel, midas blenny, and a ruby red dragonet.

I'm wanting to add a golden dwarf moray and am wondering if there will be any bioload concerns in adding one. My ammonia is steady zero with barely any nitrate. I have a skimmer that is rated for 110 gallon tank. And there are about 40 lbs of nice, porous live rock.

Does anyone think that the eel would tip the scales?

If you want to watch your fish disappear one by one then go for the eel otherwise I would strongly advise against putting a predator in a tank with fish that can easily be eaten.

And just to clear up the above post as to not sound snide:

I've done a decent bit of research into the GDM (although there isn't a TON of information on them online as they aren't too common throughout the hobby). Have read long term accounts of them being kept with dragonets (this is the only fish I'd be super concerned about as he is a small little guy) and other smaller fish.

They only reach about a foot in length and aren't much bigger around than a pencil. Just have a hard time believing that he'd be able to tackle anything besides my ruby red (which, granted, would make me sad. But, the little guy is pretty quick lol) I do realize that accounts may vary. Some eels have been model reef citizens while others go on a rampage.

I guess we could shift the topic from a bioload discussion to more of a "has anyone had any experience with this" thread.

Any input is definitely appreciated

Just not worth the risk imo.

Fair enough, cronic. I appreciate it

Archived