SaltCritters.com

New to Saltwater, setting up 24 gallon aquapod

Fishyfanatic

I'm been doing freshwater for years and finally decided to setup a aquapod I had laying around for 2 years haha. It has live rock and live sand it it added on Saturday. I'm assuming the ammonia showing in my picture if from the die off of the live rock ( was shipped same day from Florida). So one the cycling is finished what should I out in it? Looking for suggestions on anything you may have advice on.

I would live a pair of clowns, a cleaner shrimp, snails, and some blue leg hermit crabs (which I have heard differing opinions on?) and other fish that would be good in the mix?

Thank you and I look forward to hanging out in here!

post-86718-0-85795900-1419337085_thumb.jpgpost-86718-0-85795900-1419337085_thumb.jpgpost-86718-0-04190400-1419337109_thumb.jpg

Howdy, welcome to NR.

When I set up my first tank with live rock I let it sit for 6 months before adding any fish. Kind of extreme, but it worked well. I would sit in front of the tank nightly looking for all the critters that came in alive on the rocks. I ended up with a few coral hitchhikers, some pest anemones, bristle works, pods, all kinds of good stuff.

I don't know how much you know so I'll just rattle off some suggestions here.

First step I would take is to make sure you have good test kits. I like salifert, many others like Red Sea Pro. I actually use the Red Sea Pro bottles and shaker but with the Salifert ingredients. Your goal is to try and get KH and Calcium fairly stable, Phosphate and Nitrates reasonably low but not too low, and salinity around 35ppt (1.026) measured using a calibrated (with 35ppt fluid only, regardless of instructions) refractometer.

You will want to add a circulation pump in there to increase water flow. Water flow is critical to the health of a reef tank. Return pump flow does not count.

Always topoff with RO/DI 0 TDS water or distilled if you don't have an RO/DI filter.

For 24 gallons 2 clowns, a shrimp, and maybe a small goby would work well IMO. Maybe more. /shrug :)

Good luck!

Hey...thanks for you're reply! I'll be ordering a master test kit soon! The ammonia seems low but I do know that I won't put anything in until it's zero. Everything I'm reading is wait a month or so and go slow. I'm waiting on algae for the cleaning crew. Don't see any critters in rock :(...this is "cured" rock also.

Now for a "hot debate" RO water vs tap or in my case spring water. Most everything I'm reading says use RO water. I'm also seeing some people with amazing tanks inline that claim to use tap...and then a heavy metal nueteilizer like most any dechlor.... What surprised me a bit was my local fish store, says you don't have to do RO water.... What's everyone's opinion?

FYI fresh is one thing, but salt is all new, I'm interested in any info you might have to add!

Hey...thanks for you're reply! I'll be ordering a master test kit soon! The ammonia seems low but I do know that I won't put anything in until it's zero. Everything I'm reading is wait a month or so and go slow. I'm waiting on algae for the cleaning crew. Don't see any critters in rock :(...this is "cured" rock also.

Now for a "hot debate" RO water vs tap or in my case spring water. Most everything I'm reading says use RO water. I'm also seeing some people with amazing tanks inline that claim to use tap...and then a heavy metal nueteilizer like most any dechlor.... What surprised me a bit was my local fish store, says you don't have to do RO water.... What's everyone's opinion?

FYI fresh is one thing, but salt is all new, I'm interested in any info you might have to add!

Do not buy API kits anymore, they are not accurate enough. <---- :)

Tap water is a gamble, there really is no debate. You are always risking the water department adding something new that will wipe out your reef. I used tap water when I first started, same excuse, and the algae exploded before I switched to distilled and slowly brought it under control. The $200 investment in a Spectrapure refurbished RO/DI unit was the best purchase I ever made.

I'm not familiar with spring water, but it may have nitrates and phosphates which will create extra work for you.

Local fish stores are the worst place for advice. Read around, most newbies to salt have to go through this and if you don't do your research you will waste a lot of $$$$ before finally getting it right or quitting in frustration. Another thing you need to keep in mind is that nano tanks are more sensitive to changes than larger tanks. In a 150 gallon with 3 tangs and a Foxface algae is not a problem, in a nano you don't have those kinds of options.

Show me a picture of an amazing tank that uses tap water. :) Remember, tap water really means nothing without knowing the quality of it. 5 TDS tap water in one place might work fine while 100 TDS tap water in another will not.

Deleted User 8

Yeah, I am not sure where the hot debate is about using RO/DI water. RO/DI is better than tap water. That's a scientific fact.

Sure, there are people who get by using tap and they do a good job of convincing themselves that it will be OK, but the fact remains using tap is a gamble.

Water is the most important thing in reefkeeping, bar none. Using tap water is just a dumb gamble IMO. My tap well water is never above 20ppm and I use RO/DI that I make myself exclusively.

Buzz

Fishyfanatic

Update: So after the holiday, I went back into work and checked on my tank. Look the I'm getting a good start start if algae and even saw a few copepods! I'm excited!! I'm waiting for a better test kit to come in but the ammonia looks to be zero too! I'm thinking clean up crew this week, probably waiting on fish, suggestions???

I really want a pulsing Xenia ! I know to early :(

post-86718-0-05078500-1420294583_thumb.jpg

post-86718-0-41535100-1420294672_thumb.jpg

post-86718-0-81698600-1420294806_thumb.jpg

Update: So after the holiday, I went back into work and checked on my tank. Look the I'm getting a good start start if algae and even saw a few copepods! I'm excited!! I'm waiting for a better test kit to come in but the ammonia looks to be zero too! I'm thinking clean up crew this week, probably waiting on fish, suggestions???

I really want a pulsing Xenia ! I know to early :(

You won't know if your aquarium is ready until you test it. Try ghostfeeding and so how it responds. And by ghostfeeding, I really do mean feed quite a bit (basically imagine you have fish in there). If your parameters go out of whack, you're a loooonggg way. If you see PANN (phosphate, ammonia, nitrite and/or nitrate) at zero (or reallllyyyy low) after a few hours, then you know that you are sweet. :) Though I doubt the latter, it is good to test how far along you are.

Fishyfanatic

hey! thanks for the suggestion! I am waiting on a new saltwater kit that is coming in on Tuesday...nothing will be added until I am able to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate! The waiting game is a nightmare! lol

Fishyfanatic

the coralline seems to be growing, I have a green algae starting, and the brown algae growing on the sand and rocks I am assuming is diatom?? I want to add a variety of scavengers, few hermits, different snails...not sure I want to do crabs since they may pick at corals...then a pair of clown down the line....probably not to much else as I don't want this to become a maintenance nightmare ;)

Welcome!

Looking good already. I agree with the comments above, use RODI water.

And blue leg hermits are a LOT of fun IME. I now only have scarlet hermits and they tend to hide during the day, whereas the blues were always messing about.

Good luck and get yourself a magnifying glass, then you can watch all the small life come out of the rocks :)

Fishyfanatic

Im planning on some Scarlet and Blue legs! I am convinced I could just have inverts and be content...But Ill add a fish for excitement!!

Fishyfanatic

Ok so ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0 and nitrate seems to be around 2.... A lot more small copepods swimming around.....think I'm ready for a cleanup crew and a pair if clowns?post-86718-0-22130700-1420661263_thumb.jpg

post-86718-0-93676500-1420661826_thumb.jpg

CronicReefer

Ok so ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0 and nitrate seems to be around 2.... A lot more small copepods swimming around.....think I'm ready for a cleanup crew and a pair if clowns?

Should be fine to add, seems like your cycle has fully completed. Just be sure to shop around for clowns as there is such a huge variety of patterns.

Fishyfanatic

Should be fine to add, seems like your cycle has fully completed. Just be sure to shop around for clowns as there is such a huge variety of patterns.

yes the problem is the price....Even though i can get them at cost, the fancier ones are still $$$ :blink:

anyone have suggestions on stocking?? Im getting a pair of clown, other than that its up in the air. is there a general rule for amount of snails, hermits, etc? Besides the clown im wondering on what else to add with them?

CronicReefer

yes the problem is the price....Even though i can get them at cost, the fancier ones are still $$$ :blink:

anyone have suggestions on stocking?? Im getting a pair of clown, other than that its up in the air. is there a general rule for amount of snails, hermits, etc? Besides the clown im wondering on what else to add with them?

Everyone has their own opinions on amount of CUC but if you do get hermits make sure you get snails with shells too large for the hermits to use. Also the amount of CUC is based on needs of your tank as well, less algae/detritus = smaller CUC. This usually helps prevent snail murders by hermits. I have 15+ snails (4 different varieties), some sphagetti worms, about 4 asterina starfish, emerald crab (eats a very large variety of algae/detritus), and 5 dwarf hermits.

alanwest09872

Ok so ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0 and nitrate seems to be around 2.... A lot more small copepods swimming around.....think I'm ready for a cleanup crew and a pair if clowns?attachicon.gifimage.jpg

which test kit is this? I am currently using API and it sucks. is this one alot better?

Fishyfanatic

So for a 24 gallon which I am assuming with rock and all is more around 20 gallon...how many snail would you guys add? just a pair of clowns or could I get away with more? what would you all suggest??!!! :D

to early for a xenia? I am going to get fish mid next week!

CronicReefer

So for a 24 gallon which I am assuming with rock and all is more around 20 gallon...how many snail would you guys add? just a pair of clowns or could I get away with more? what would you all suggest??!!! :D

to early for a xenia? I am going to get fish mid next week!

You could get a third fish of some type as long as it stays small but just get the pair of clowns for now. I'd wait a day or two for corals after adding the clowns just to make sure all your parameters stay in check with the new bioload.

Fishyfanatic

ok sounds like a plan....how many snails would you suggest? I think im planning on going with around 12 of differing varieties. do you have any experience with the xenia? my LFS has a white pulsing that I can get for next to nothing,,,and I hear they are hardier, and apparently like "dirtier" tanks?

CronicReefer

ok sounds like a plan....how many snails would you suggest? I think im planning on going with around 12 of differing varieties. do you have any experience with the xenia? my LFS has a white pulsing that I can get for next to nothing,,,and I hear they are hardier.

If your sand bed is deep enough I'd get a few nessarius, they clean up everything that hits the sand. I personally like trochus, turbos, and ninja star snails for the shell pattern. My stomatella are reproducing like crazy I'm afraid I might have to pull some out in a few months. Hermits always seem to eat my ceriths so I don't buy those anymore (the ceriths), the a##holes dont even use the shell. If you like the xenia then buy it but be warned it grows very fast and tends to become more invasive (which is why its so cheap). If you can isolate it on its own little island then it shouldn't give you any problems later.

Fishyfanatic

also looking to do different macro algae...not sure they aren't more popular...some look amazing!

yes so I hear about the xenia....im planning on keeping it in the middle of the tank and on a solitary stone I think

sand bed is about 1.2 inches I would say

I barley started this one and im debating on a bigger one for the house....advantages of not paying a markup ;)

CronicReefer

I'd love a bigger tank as well but I figured I'd wait till my corals outgrow this tank and upgrade to something at least twice as big once I gain the experience. My tank had also been sitting around for about 10 years so I figured it was time to put it to good use.

Archived